Fordiesel69

Fuel injection?

Fordiesel69

After owning a carbd version of the Ford 300 L6 and also a fuel injected version, it was literally night and day.  Say someone with a lot of fab skills and electronics knowledge designed a throttle body, injector and computer for a Kohler K or Magnum, would it make much difference in power, emissions, and oil life?

Save Old Iron

assuming it is closed feedback system, the run time on a tank of gas would increase

WH nut

WH did toy with the idea back in the late 80s. I went to a meeting once where they talked about it and showed a few slides. They must have decided it wasn't worth it. My Ex father inlaw used to be a WH dealer

Fordiesel69

Any idea of the cost? 

VinsRJ

Any idea of the cost? 

Thats what I was thnking also...

SousaKerry

Only $399.  I'll wait...

post-4531-0-95980300-1386274275_thumb.jp

Fordiesel69

If i had metal fab skills, I really would try it out.  Fuel injection would really extend the life of these dirty beasts.  Your cloths stink after plowing.  With a newer engine this is much less. 

Jake217

The real issue with installing EFI on a tractor is where to put the "check engine" light

honestcharlie56

the advantages of fuel injection, just from what I've seen, come with an engine that sees alot of accelerating and decelerating. Engines that operate at one speed don't typically see too much benefit. You could always try water injection!!!

19richie66

The new toro workmans with the 3 cylinder briggs/vanguard motors are fuel injected and run much better than the carbureted versions. Funny thing is, they use a carburetor body that isnt drilled for a float/ pick up tube for a throttle body. They have a throttle position sensor mounted on top of the throttle. The only thing they are used for is an air inlet. The new kubota gas engines are even sweeter. It looks like a diesel engine that they put a gas cylinder head on and injected it. Havent had too much time to study them yet but they seem to run better than the briggs and they are throttle by wire. I would love to adapt fuel injection on my 20 magnum.

boovuc

The real benefit of fuel-injection would come from not having gummed up carburetors. The carb, sitting on top of the engine with a bowl full of gas continuously heating and cooling with 10% ethanol in it just attracts water, dirt and the always prevalent evaporation which can leave gum deposits. (Varnish if you will).

Fuel injection is the way to go and would cut down on a lot of issues we experience with our fuel systems plus you get a better metered fuel delivery which can cut down on carbon deposits, fouled plugs, etc.

I for one would love to jump on one of those kits for the Onan P Series.