Sign in to follow this  
Raider12

1970 Raidar 12 Drive Belt??

Raider12

I need to replace the drive belt on my 1970 Raidar 12 1-6251. The locar NAPA store wants to just measure my old one and replace it with a simular size. But I have been through this before. If it is off my a little bit it will make it very difficult to drive. I would rather purchase an original belt. But I don't have the part number. Can anyone shed a little lite on this?

Denver

Duff

I need to replace the drive belt on my 1970 Raidar 12 1-6251. The locar NAPA store wants to just measure my old one and replace it with a simular size. But I have been through this before. If it is off my a little bit it will make it very difficult to drive. I would rather purchase an original belt. But I don't have the part number. Can anyone shed a little lite on this?

Denver

Hi, Denver,

TT or one of the more seasoned WH owners may want to check me on this one, but I did a quick look up for the belt for your tractor on the Toro site. It appears to be a #7473. It's direct equivalent in a "True Blue" belt (which in my limited experience is more durable) is a #258082.

Both are available through Jack's Small Engines (and probably other sellers as well). Jack's has the Toro number at $21.16, and the True Blue at $33.36. I've had excellent luck with Jack's for my parts.

Hope this helps!

Duff :banghead:

TT

You nailed it, Duff! :banghead:

Good old P/N 7473 has been around since about 1968 and was used on the majority of the "older" long frame 6/8 speeds.

**Just a helpful tip here too.....

This belt should not be substituted by anything other than a cloth-covered power-rated belt of equivalent dimensions. A rubber coated belt will grab and cause unpredictable clutch engagement - which could result in a never-ending wheelie. :USA: It will also make it practically impossible to get the transmission in gear.

Raider12

This belt should not be substituted by anything other than a cloth-covered power-rated belt of equivalent dimensions. A rubber coated belt will grab and cause unpredictable clutch engagement - which could result in a never-ending wheelie. :omg: It will also make it practically impossible to get the transmission in gear.

:USA: Yepper's, your right about being out of control. I had a belt years ago that was not the original and it was a nitghtmare :banghead: to mow or drive. Thanks guys

rustbucket

all my replacment belts have been huskee belts and blue with the kevlar outer wraps on them and kevlar cords in them so they dont break or streach as old belts do. as the experts have spoken just wanted to toss mt .02 cents into the coin jar.