mtd49

ATF in my 520H

mtd49

I went to change the filter in my 1988 31-20oe01 Eaton trans. Fluid in the filter came out reddish color. I called the company on the sticker side of hood. He said some had ATF type A. This is 360 from all I have read about them, everyone says 10 40 motor oil. I hope someone has seen this before. Wow!

meadowfield

You can use ATF or a good quality multigrade oil. Many early hydros used dextron ATF, but changed over to 10w40. I think most hydro owners now prefer to use 10w40.

You just need to do a good job of flushing the old and change the filter.

Mark

mtd49

Thanks I found some ATF type A At Oreillys auto parts store. I hope they continue to make this, not too much on shelves out there.

pfrederi

Thanks I found some ATF type A At Oreillys auto parts store. I hope they continue to make this, not too much on shelves out there.

Type A was the original name for what is now Dexron.  Back then Ford used Mercron GM used Dexron.  Now they make a universal ATF which works just fine in the older hydros

leeave96

I believe the manual calls for 10 – W 30 oil. Many use them synthetic versions of this.

mtd49

Thanks. This has helped me a lot. Parts for these older wheelhorse tractors can be pricey, & I don't want to make that kind of mistake. Joining on here was the best thing I could have done. Dexron or universal ATF will make things a lot easier.

My 520H is in pretty good shape (to a rookie) and want to keep it that way. I had help to ID my snow blade from Garry and it was made in 1969! buy something like that new today and see what you have 43 years later.

Kelly

I personally have never seen a Eaton 1100 with ATF in it, I own 6 520's right now, and have had about 10 others, I run Mobil 1 10w30 in my keeper tractors

bubbacola

I use Mobil 1 10w30.

cheesegrader

I hate to admit that I don't change hydro oil every year.

I use Amsoil 10-30 synthetic.

It will be -18 outside tonight.

I like to think the synthetic gives me some advantage over conventional oil in the extreme cold.

mtd49

I was surprised when I pulled the filter. I had checked the fluid but didn't need topped off. Guess I expecting 10w30 also. Fellow at the shop who had sold it or serviced it at sometime said some older ones had ATF A. I would flush it and use what you all use but, I've read it is tough to get all the ATF out. Not a thoroughfull flush would be catastrophic.

Aussie

+1 for Mobil 1

mtd49

Aussi

It must be going into warm weather where you are! It is cold here in the midwest and our first snow was Dec. 8th. Legend has it we will have 8 more snows this winter. Shame I don't have that synthetic 10W30 because it takes a few secs longer for the hydraulic lift.

oaktown1987

I use the ATF multi vehicle formula

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kelly

Sunstrand trans can have either in them, but like I said never seen ATF in a Eaton, I just sold a 84 tractor with a eaton and it had Motor oil in it. 

mtd49

Thanks for all the interest. I bought 2 qt. type A, but will use dexron or multi formula if it gets difficult to bu type A. 

I learn lots from these forums don't feel like a rookie anymore.

Kelly

Are you changing the oil ?? if so with a filter you will need 5 qts most times I only get a little over 4 in but calls for 5

mtd49

Not the fluid, changed the filter and had to top fluid level I found it was a rare deal with typeA instead of 10W30