HorseFixer

Snow Blower Auger Bearings

HorseFixer

Over the weekend I was cleaning inside and around the Auger in the Snow Chucker while doing that I grabbed the Auger gave it a yank (Checking the Bearings) and sure enough I had some slop and end play. :eek:

I took both sides apart and the outer auger shaft rides on a Bronze Bushing. The pillow block itself seemed okay but the Bushing was wore out. The bushing looked familiar so I looked over in my parts supply  

and found a couple Of new axel bushings that are replacements for  the front Rims  in this case of an RJ. They were a 1/16th of an inch long so I ground them down. I heated up the pillow block it has a wicking inside it

and I soaked it in OIL so it would draw in the oil in the wicking so to lubricate the bronze bushing. I installed a 1" washer on each side and that took the side play out of the auger.

I intended on rebuilding the blower earlier this year but didn't get around to it my question is has anyone replaced these cheap pillow blocks with a grease able flange bearing? It sure seems like a better bearing should 

be used to support each end of the Auger.  :eusa-think:  Also how much side play is in your tall chute blower?

Thanks ~Duke

wallfish

Are you talking about a 2 stage blower?

If so, I was thinking the same thing as I just replaced those little balls with bushings in them, which cost $18 each from PartsTree. I could have picked up some real ball bearing 4 hole flange mounted type for the price of one of those bushing type.

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Yes, :handgestures-thumbupright:

John, those are the Ones on each side of the auger. Did you soak the pillow block balls with wicking in them in oil?  :dunno:  The bronze bushings are OILLITE I think they are called that. Any way those need replacing for sure with REAL BEARINGS :thumbs: While I was inside the Auger looking around I see lots of rough edges and areas there should be continuous welded to prevent ice and snow from getting

in the cracks and sticking to them. :eusa-think:   My thinking anything you can do to make the blower spin freely and efficiently along with less friction inside the auger and chute is what I plan on doing. 

~Duke

MalMac

Duke for some reason I remember a post on here where someone replaced those bushing with something better. Maybe it was a single stage someone redone. I have sleep since then. My brain housing group now-a-days only has the capability of retaining info for approximately 12hrs then it's gone. At least that what the wife tells me.

wallfish

They came oiled up or at least appeared to be. I'm not to concerned about them since they will be replaced to a real bearing when they wear out again. I cleaned the shafts up and smoothed them out the best I could but still had some rust pitting to grind those bushings quicker.

Here's what I should have used in the first place

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-Transmission/Bearings/Flange-Mount-Bearings/1-4-BOLT-FLANGE-BEARING-W-LOCK-COLLAR-1-205-16-4-C.axd

Not sure how they'll hold up to moisture and the salt but gotta be better than those bronze bushings.

HorseFixer

John,

I brought the specs up on that bearing and the thickness Measurement "B" is 1.807 and on each side I have about 1.375 clearance on each side.

So some modification will need to be done to accept that size bearing either on the blower shell or something maybe the bearing could be mounted

on the exterior but that will require cutting a larger opening on each side. I wonder if a thinner bearing is available?  :confusion-shrug: Well it figures anything

I get involved in usually ends up to be a bunch of extra work! :disgust:

~Duke

Edited by HorseFixer

HorseFixer

Now that one right there I think will work. In would also use some Loctite 660 Slip Fit Compound http://www.loctite.ph/php/content_data/LT4680.pdf This would help on worn shaft.

Thanks  John

~Duke

wallfish

I'm onboard. It just seems way to easy for dirt to get into that bronze bushing and just grind them away.

Have you used that 660 compound before? It's pretty expensive 

CTBT&D

I used self centering sealed ball bearings with a locking collar and flanges from TSC. Also made a 1/4" spacer as seen in the photo.

Craig

post-5789-0-34183700-1386470240_thumb.jp