ih674

3 speed hubs

ih674

I keep reading on here about people with siezed up hubs.

I have problems keeping mine tight.

I have had to replace the keyways and resort to loctite on one of my commando 7's.

Am i the only one with this issue?

James

Sparky

Sometime in the 80's (I think) Wheel Horse started to put a second set screw 90 degree's from the one that tightens on the keyway. Maybe you could take off the offending hub and drill and tap it for a second set screw?

Mike...........

sorekiwi

Drilling the extra set screw holes as Mike suggested may help. 

But I have always found that hubs that wont stay tight usually have too much clearance on the axle.  This allows them to rock around on the key.  Usually the bore in the hub itself is wallowed out.  Axles do wear as well, but usually most of the wear is in the hub.  New, or good used hubs and axles that aren't too worn is the answer.

ih674

Yes thats what i thought, allthough it seems getting the grub screw to hold is the problem. Th hubs are a snug tap on fit. Loctite has been working for 6 months now so hopefully all is well or else ill do the suggested upgrade or add a second grub screw.

Cheers

James

sorekiwi

Also check that the set screw is hitting the woodruff key dead centre (lengthwise) - normally the hub should be flush with the end of the axle.  If its not in the centre of the key, the key can "rock" and the setscrew will become loose.

I've never done it, but I have seen where people have drilled a small divot in the key, and used a setscrew with a point on it to locate it all.

gwest_ca

The 1978-79 B, C and D-Series service manual #810063R1 has the torque spec for the C-Series hub set screws 28-32 ft. lb. on page 1-4. I think the secret to keeping them tight is to check often after they have been loose or off and just snug up the jamb nut. Any tighter and the nut tends to pull the set screw back out reducing the initial torque.

Garry

ih674

Got a box of imperial key ways so i might have an experiment with drilling if the other tractor becomes a problem.

James

buckrancher

besure your set scews have a good cup on the end