leeave96

Hardened Axles - Questions

leeave96

Anyone used the harden axles Wheelhorse made available for loader applications?  How do you install?  Is it a take the tranny out, split, remove old - install new axles type deal or something much simpler?  Are they still available, anyone know the part number for them?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Bill

MalMac

Yes you have to split the tranny. Some time ago I asked a dealer about them. This is what I was told if I can remember right. First he had never sold one pair of them probably do to the cost and the cost of labor to put them in. I ask what was the reason for them. He said that do to the fact that the loader attachment caused the tractor to become unsteady Wheel Horse decided that the use of Duals would aide in steadiness. The extra wheel sticking out there causes more leverage on the axel which in turn would cause it to snap. Also the extra hardness help keep the keyway from becoming worn out or sloppy. He also said that they had a bulletin stating that the harden axel would not break but instead would put undo pressure on the end of the tranny housing where the needle bearings sit and started causing fractures. I am just repeating what I have heard and have not had any problems with using the standard axels. Somewhere along the line on one of the post here on RS, I read that some 520's came with heavy duty rear axels. Anyway the heavy duty axels were offered a while back for tractors that were using FEL. If offered anymore I do not know. I also remember when the dealer told me this he chuckled and said that, he wondered if Toro/Wheel Horse recommend putting duals on was just a way to cover their backside. Because some people are to dumb when using a loader and drove the tractor like it never had a loader on it causing it to tip, and broken axels was just a bi-product of using duals. Sounds to me like maybe some company Lawyers might have had a hand in making that decision.

brandonozz

Bill,

There is a process of cryogenic hardening that could be used if you really wanted harder axles.  I had a friend that built a 10 second camaro with a 4 speed and had to harden the gears in the tranny to get it to stop breaking gears. 

boovuc

Interesting!

I thought about duels on my loader setup. I have everything needed except the adapters but I thought about the wear and tear on the transmission as well.

The cons: Much harder to steer and park, more room needed for storage, more space in your working environment, greater fuel usage, etc. etc.

The pros: extra traction and greater stability. (I'm not going to count the "cool look" thing because it does nothing to serve it's usefulness). There were too many cons to pros to warrant going that path.

I haven't ruled out a hub extender of about and inch or two. That would aid stability but does nothing for adding traction. I do believe that duel wheels can cause havoc on any WH transmission and especially a worker.

I never heard about the Hardened Axle availability. I went through my downloaded service bulletins and didn't see anything there. 

leeave96

Great info - Thanks!!!!

• Like 1