wheelhorse66

3 speed tranny help

wheelhorse66

how could i make my 4 pinion 3 speed transaxle strong enough for pulling im pulling logs and trailers with a 1056 and i would like to make the tranny stronger

sorekiwi

Put an 8 pinion diff in it. 

Are you sure it has a 4 pinion in it now?  A 1056 could very possibly have a spider gear type differential in it.

• Like 1

wheelhorse66

i dont know thats what someone told me on here,it has a 1inch axle,is there any way to figure that out without tearing it apart

Edited by wheelhorse66

gwest_ca

The 1056 should have this one

Garry

sorekiwi

I stand corrected, I didn't realize that the 1056 had the baby transmission in it.

In that case the best bet for your purpose would be to swap in an 8 speed with 1 1/8 axles.  The hard part will be finding the small pulley for the input shaft of the trans.  Later tractors used a bigger pulley on the engine and the trans.  The big pulley on the trans wont clear the belt guard on the early tractors. 

stevasaurus

Hey Mike, what do you think about that the trans is strong enough to do what he wants to do??  :eusa-think:   As long as the trans is in good shape. :)

sorekiwi

Hey Mike, what do you think about that the trans is strong enough to do what he wants to do??  :eusa-think:   As long as the trans is in good shape. :)

I guess it depends on how big the logs and trailers are!

In 12 years of playing with Wheel Horses, the only transmission parts I have broken have been bevel (spider) gear differentials.  I've never broken an axle (even 1") or a gear.  The bad transmission parts that I have seen have mainly been damaged by neglect, oil in the water, shifting "on the fly", or by bearings wearing out and letting the shafts flop around.

I think the heaviest thing I have dragged around would be my Dodge Dakota truck (that was with my 1267).  I would guess that if you tried to pull something too heavy, that traction from the tires would be the issue before blowing teeth off gears ("as long as the trans is in good shape").

Having said that though, the pullers seem to want the 1 1/8, 8 pinion trans.  They'd have a more valid opinion than me.

stevasaurus

Understood Mike...we are on the same plain.  If you are not jerking out stumps, the trans he has should work great...IF it is in good shape.  I just do not know how you would make an existing trans stronger then it already is.  Good shape is the key, and if you know the history...OK...if you do not...tear it down and take a look.  A 4 pinion 3 speed uni-drive should serve you well...in good shape...especially in a 1056.  If you are trying to jerk out stumps...the 1 1/8" axle differentials may not help you.  :)