Dkphillips

Sand/soda blasting

Dkphillips

Being a "newbie" to tractor restoration I am interested to see if anyone uses sand/soda blasting to remove paint, etc from their tractor parts. I have used sand blasting equipment in the past but not on anything that I was going to paint with a good finish like a tractor. Also if you have used these methods what type of media did you use? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

squonk

When I used to blast, I used glass beads for most of it. Now, I take my stuff to a local guy that does it and uses glass. I had him do a 704 hood and when I got it back it looked like it was just stamped out of the metal shop.

Dkphillips

Thanks Mike. I have never used glass but may give it a try.

Shynon

I use black blast (coal slag) from big box store. Have a blasting cabinet and blast all parts that fit. Send frame, hood and fenders to a friend to have blasted.

rmaynard

I use the 80 grit glass beads.

dclarke

I use the 80 grit glass beads also and get along good with them.

limited12

I just bought a soda blaster from Harbor Frieght, easy set up, easy to use, done a great job.

I do need to go get a cabniet, its a little messy with out one.

Welcome to Red Square

shorts

Do Not use sand for blast media unless you are using a make up air respirator system, sand can lead to silicosis In the lungs, kinda like the problems from asbestos, just about anything can be used for media depending on what's being cleaned and what results are required, Black slag in different grits, glass beads, baking soda, CO2, walnut shells, plastic beads,  ground up corn cobs, steel shot, dry ice, etc