stevebo

1949 Chevy Pick Up... New Find

stevebo

Just a quick update on this project. After discussing the rebuild of this motor (216ci) with my uncle who is an engine builder he convinced me not to touch that motor as it is not fully pressurized. He, along with others (Thanks Chip) told me to find a 235CI which is the updated version with fully pressurized motor. One of the guys who works for my uncle told me that his sone has one that is in his 56 Chevy 150 (bel air) that he was planning on pulling to install an LS motor. I went and saw it and heard her run so that is the one that will go in my truck. There will be a few mods and I will need to use my original tranny. The 56 is already upgraded to the 12volt so that means I will be updating the truck to 12 volt too. Did not plan on that but I have to now which will be better. The guy who has the new motor needs a month of two to pull it as he has a few other projects ahead of that. He also has a bodyshop so I may be able to work out a deal with him to clear coat the truck. The only thing I plan on doing to the motor is to replace the valve cover gasket, clean the motor and install it. I included a picture of the firewall below so you can see how the motor color will complement the engine color.

I started to recover the seat. It was pretty beat but I got the frame cleaned up, primed and painted. This afternoon I went and got the new burlap and foam etc to start to recover it. I had to fix the backrest frame with 1x flatstock too. Below are pics of the new motor and seat. Slow and steady on this project.

post-734-0-05620200-1387158775_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-41261600-1387158802_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-18804700-1387158835_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-18645200-1387158854_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-98979100-1387158887_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:   Nice job on the seat. Always nice to be able to get a good running engine, saves a bunch of time and  $:text-bravo: 

flyovrcntry

Since Chevys were my car of choice when I was a lot younger I was just curious about a few things.I know the pre 55 chevy has a closed driveshaft and the 55 and newer are open.I"M just wondering,does the truck tranny bolt up to the newer engine,or just what are you doing to make it all work ?

I never tore into one of those engines with Babbitt rods,but I watched a guy do it.There were little shims between the rod and rod cap he would remove to tighten the rod.

Man those old mechanics could do a lot of things with shims and emery cloth.When I was drafted into the Army I had a 64 Chevy 4 speed.My wife could drive it,but she didn't like it.My friend had a Dodge Dart 6cyl auto with a loose rod.I knew this old mechanic that fixed it. He pulled the pan off and polished the crank with emery cloth and put an oversized bearing in.That thing pecked a little when you first started it and she drove it for two years and loved the gas sipping little car.Of course when I got home I ran the crap out of it and wrecked the front end one night when a lite pole jumped in front of me.She never got over that,I think that's why she got rid of me 10 yrs later. :deadhorse:

stevebo

From my understanding in my research here is what I have to do to make it work. The 56 tranny is not going to work for that reason. The truck has what is called a torque tube which is closed. I will need to use the starter and flywheel off the 235 with the 216 flywheel housing. I then need to use the 216 tranny and tailshaft.

I have the tranny gearbox soaking in diesel right now. From what I could see it looked pretty good inside. The motor I am getting has 42K original miles on it. Before I install it I plan on painting inside the engine compartment and frame. I will also install new hard fuel line and brake lines too. They both look okay but with the motor out it will make it alot easier to do.

flyovrcntry

By the way Stevebo,you have developed a annoying habit of repeating yourself. :laughing-rofl:

stevebo

Repeating myself??

rydogg

recheck your post #76 steve

Edited by rydogg

stevebo

I have no idea why that happened. I edited the post. Thanks for pointing that out...

AMC RULES

It happens to all of us...sooner or later.   :ychain: 

squonk

Check that motor good before you do too much engine comp.  clean up. As I stated earlier a old co-worker of mine had the same truck. He had to put a newer 6 popper in it. I don't remember the year motor he used, but If I remember right the motor mount mounting tabs were different and the motor was higher and I think longer. He couldn't use an engine mounted water pump fan and had to go electric. I can't remember all of all the other stuff he had to do. Hate to see you fix things under the hood and then have to modify it all.

stevebo

Mike,

I know that the engine is slightly longer and the water pump will hit the radiator. They make a "short shaft" water pump that is the biggest modification.

grnlark

I love the original patina as well, and the straight 6 is super cool too. I'd be inclined however to drop it with stamp steelies and wide whites!

stevebo

Here is an update on this project. It was just too cold to try and work on it out in the back yard and with the warm weather last week, the snow we had melted and I was able to pull it up the back hill and get her in the garage. Prior to going in the garage I took the be off and power washed everything really well again. Put the bed back on and got her in the garage. I have been working on the interior and rebuilding the two gauges and painting up the inside. I was able to paint inside the engine compartment while the motor is still out. I am now ready to drop in the new motor once it is ready to pick up. Pulled the front window and got the channel painted up too. I used chassis paint and a brush. I am not planning on this being any sort of show stopper.

post-734-0-33188100-1388110923_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-56220900-1388110946_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-04518400-1388110966_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-58738600-1388110986_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ken B

Ain't no grass growin under yer feet! You must have had to do a little rearranging in the garage to be able to stuff Old Red in there!

stevebo

You have a funny way of naming my trucks... I like it. I had to move one of the 35's to the barn and turn the other two sideways under the shelf but it made it. REAL tight. If all goes well this spring I may try and take the tractor shelves down and get the underside of the deck watertight and relocate the tractors out there or... get park "old red" under the deck? Not sure....

chip61

Glad to see things coming along nicely. You'll have it on the road before you know it.

Chip

stevebo

Just a few more pics of before and after on the interior dash and the bottom portion of the firewall. Got out the clear coat and sprayed away....

post-734-0-93048100-1388190797_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-32240600-1388190816_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-95266400-1388190845_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-65812400-1388190862_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-30203200-1388190883_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-85655800-1388191168_thumb.jpg

posifour11

I'm a little different camp as far as preservation. My plan for the wife's truck ( formerly her granddad's) is to make sure it's mechanically sound, including a brake upgrade, and let her drive it and enjoy. Not much on the clear coat

But, if you like it, I'm all for it.

I figure, for my plans anyway, if her "papa"'s truck spent the last fifty plus years under an old cedar tree, it'll do fine under cover with my horses.

stevebo

Any pics of that truck? When you planning on starting to fix it up? What year and make?

squonk

One of the great things about these old trucks is the fact that no matter what you do to them, you can't wreck it!  :)  :thumbs:

JimD

Sorry, my mistake.

Edited by JimD

posifour11

Steve, I ran out and took a picture. Also did the math and its not quite fifty years old. Its a 66 Chevy short bed. Her grandpa bought to use for a farm truck and that's about all it was used for. Its on the list to do after about ten other things.

post-8551-0-40853300-1388245824_thumb.jp

• Like 3

flyovrcntry

Steve,those interior shots sure take me back.I was about 6-8 yrs old when I would ride with my grandpa.I remember going to Soulard,farmers market in St Louis with him and buying a load of watermelons.I was very young at the time,but I remember him taking them to a supermarket and re-selling them.He could always hustle a dollar like that.

Thanks for the pics,if someone had asked me what the interior was like I could not have told them,great memories,I was so lucky to have a grandpa like that.

stevebo

Posi- that is a really cool old truck with just the right patina. IMO it would be a shame to paint that truck. I am with you on just getting it running right.

@Flyo- that is what it is all about to me. The memories from the past and making memories going forward. That is the name of my boat too... "

Makin' Memories"

squonk

On that 66 I bet there is more metal in that hood than on a complete modern car!   :) I remember one place I worked had 2 65 C-60 trucks with the same style cab.1 was a bucket truck and the other a tow truck. Both had 6 bangers.  You opened the hood and that engine was so far down in there you just crawled in. It was like a cave. I remember closing the hood on 1 of them and one of the turn signals fell out.  :ROTF: