stevebo

1949 Chevy Pick Up... New Find

953 nut

It has been over twenty years since I did that but I remember that I had to do a series/paralell set up to take the amperage. If you put an amp meter in series with the blower motor and run it on 6 volts you will know how much power it uses by muliplying the amps times 6 volts, gives you the power consumed (watts). To find the operating impedance (resisrance) expressed in Ohms you take the number of amps and square it then devide it into the watts of power. The result will be the amount of resistance you need to add in series with the motor. If the amp rating of the resisters is high enough you just add them in series. If they are not, you will need to have two paralell sets of resisters that are twice the resistance. If you are confused by this just PM me with the running amps at 6 volts and I will do the math.

stevebo

Uhhhh Buelller... Bueller.... Bueller....

Terry M

Looking Good when it's all washed up :handgestures-thumbupright:

squonk

Six volt systems are crappy. But it you decide to keep it that way install an 8 volt battery. It will start easier and won't hurt a thing.

stevebo

Had no idea they offered an 8 volt battery...

squonk

Used to sell tons of 8 volts when I was at Napa. Really big with the Ford 8N-9N crowd. It provides extra umph when starting. Ever notice anything with a 6 volt system has large cables? The lower the voltage the more amps it takes to do the same amount of work. Think of it this way, The amps do the work and the voltage pushes the amps thru the circuit to get it done.

Edited by squonk

kaiser

Hey Steve..If you drive down along the river on the opposite side of the Agway there is a 3100 that has been sitting in some guys front yard for as long as I can remember. I'm not too sure if he'd sell parts or if its yard art...

that's yard art, i think there are flowers growing in the bed.

flyovrcntry

I remember people upgrading 6v cars to 12, but I never done it myself.I remember the starter didn't last very long.I think they changed the generator  with the battery.Like I said I never done it myself,but I had a couple 6v cars.I rember a few 8v cars,it seems like they were the bigger cars,Buick,Caddy,Packard.

stevebo

I just ordered all new glass for the truck along with the correct rubber weatherstripping and gaskets for windows and doors. I also ordered a set of rear view side mirrors and headliner... (what did you say Jeff? Bust out another $1000?) lol Not that much for this order. I was given a good supplier by a member here (Thanks Chip!) which has pretty much everything you need at reasonable prices.

squonk

And so it begins!  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :)

fireman

I think you'll be well over a few thousand by the time your done  :ychain: . Better you then me. I'll let someone else drop all the cash into something then buy it from them when they're bored or hard up for $0.20 on the dollar :banana-rock: .  

Edited by fireman
  • Like 2

stevebo

Negative Nelly lately !! lol I really am looking forward to this project. I agree that you can always buy one restored by others and buy it for a lot less than the restorer has into it however you get one that is finished and done the way the other guy liked it. I really like the patina on this one and the best part about this truck is that it is not "modifed" and all original. This will not be a restoration rather a preservation.

Don1977

I change a farm tractor from 6 to 12 volts. Used a 55 Chevy resistor for the engine electrical.

flyovrcntry

Sounds like your having a good time with that truck, don't let the nay sayers bother you. My dad says the same kind of thing people,your spending too much on this or that.I tell people,if you gave him a million dollars he would say "I had to wait 3 day's for the check to clear"  :angry-nono:

• Like 1

stevebo

Kinda of like the guy that wins the lotto and complains about having to pay the taxes... lol I get what Fireman is saying and he is right. I just want to do this one like I want to and not how someone else wanted to. I am happy. Shoot.... Fireman will be the first guy over my house willing to help work on the truck (and he will I am sure at some point).

chip61

Looks like the project's moving along nicely. :) 

Rollerman

I'm not a Chevy fan :hide: ..., but I'd make an exception for that cool looking vintage truck Steve.

Nice find!

rydogg

Hey Steve I got some parts for sale if you get to Minnesota.  What you see pictured is all I have left.  Very cool truck but too small for my family.  I am looking at an old chevy cab over that my uncle has had for ever but will never do anything with....would look cool with a wood flatbed and painted WH red. 

BTW I used an 8 volt battery in my 6V Farmall and it didn't hurt at all but the 6V battery I recently picked up actually has more cranking amps.

post-2337-0-50107400-1385853365_thumb.jp

Edited by rydogg

Ken B

Any updates Steve? On this truck, or perhaps something else altogether? Just wonderin....

stevebo

Ken-

The motor is ready to come out. I am planning on doing it this morning. Rudy is gonna help me. When I took the seat out of the truck to get ready to recover it I found the side cover for the tranny which has the shift forks on it. I believe the tranny may be locked up. Either way I will know today. I had to pull the radiator, radiator support and front grill to be able to pull it out. Once I pull the motor, I think it will go under the deck where I have pavers so I can continue to work on it over the winter and not be in the mud.

Since you asked... Here is my new horse hauler that I picked up last weekend. I have been looking for a 2001 or 2002 Silverado HD (gas or diesel) with low miles. Well I found it !! This bad boy has been babied !! 27K on this 2002 HD with the real deal Duramax !! Ain't no worries this year going to the show hauling a trailer -lol ! I LOVE this truck. Has all the features and runs perfect. I will be selling my Dually and Blazer and reducing to just the one vehicle.

post-734-0-21364400-1386332482_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-85493200-1386332498_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-12703000-1386332517_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-74782300-1386332536_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-41221800-1386332567_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Coadster32

You just can't sit still can you?? :omg:  Awesome looking truck. :handgestures-thumbupright:

stevebo

I know .... The more I drive it the more I like it.

stevebo

Had to use the horse to haul the trailer with the 49 motor and tranny!!

post-734-0-69117000-1386371727_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

truckin88

Nice new truck, the mileage is unbelievable for a 12 yo truck...super clean too...it will be way more livable than the dually and probably get same mpg as blazer. All it needs is a fisher blade up front for winter!

posifour11

Living vicariously....