stevebo

1949 Chevy Pick Up... New Find

truckin88

Great shop truck leave it as it is but clear it. I am with the others late model drive train, good brakes, hit the road! Beauty no matter what you decide congrats.

Edited by truckin88

squonk

How bizzaar , i bought one of those myself only just last week  . Only the one that i bought was brand new

attachicon.gifDSC03595.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC03596.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC03598.JPG

Sorry Steve didnt mean to hijack  the thread with pics of My truck , but i think yours is absolutley wonderful . so if you would like to swap yours with my brand new one i will start to organise the shipping  right now .& if you are deside quickly you may even get it before Christmas .

seriously though , i bought this Model only last week off Ebay . as you can see from the box they are part of a collection .

Yours looks  great & im sure you are gonna have some fun getting her up & running ,  I thing Mrs Bo is gonna miss you this winter  as i think you will be spending quite a bit of time in your  new/vintage  gas station  

I shall look forward to the progress on this project

Best of luck with it

Neil

I got about 8 different 48-54 Chevy die-casts Coolest truck ever built IMHO

rmaynard

Wow! What a great "pickup". Having been born in 1950, I have always been partial to the 1950 Chevy pickup truck. Nothing makes a guy happier than to see a vintage Chevy smiling at you in the morning. Your 1949 will look great pulling the Senior to the show this coming year.

squonk

Here's what it will look like after a 'little buffing"  :)

IMG_0509_zpscf1c3633.jpg

• Like 1

stevebo

No amount of buffing will make it look like that!! I am leaning towards pulling the motor and getting the oem motor set up as it was back in 1949. I may add a different brake set up tho.

roscoemi

I would look to putting on front discs, maybe a Camaro or Nova subframe. My '56 Chevy had front and rear drums fed from a single pot master cylinder that blew the seals on a regular basis. Nothing like driving in rush hour and loosing the brakes!

flyovrcntry

I think if you rebuilt the stock brakes you would be fine.I don't think there was any problem with that system.

Believe it or not guys we drove for a lot of years without power brakes.

I never drove one but I understand the Model T had mechanical brakes,not even hydraulic.

If you are going to keep the little 6 banger I don't see the need for bigger brakes.I know when you are use to power brakes it seems like you have to stand on them,but they work.

I rode in a lot of muscle cars that didn't have power brakes.

stevebo

I agree on the upgraded brakes but not the full subframe. From my research so far they offer pretty easy upgrade kits.

Ken B

Hey Steve..If you drive down along the river on the opposite side of the Agway there is a 3100 that has been sitting in some guys front yard for as long as I can remember. I'm not too sure if he'd sell parts or if its yard art...

Edited by Ken B

truckin88

I think if you rebuilt the stock brakes you would be fine.I don't think there was any problem with that system.

Believe it or not guys we drove for a lot of years without power brakes.

I never drove one but I understand the Model T had mechanical brakes,not even hydraulic.

If you are going to keep the little 6 banger I don't see the need for bigger brakes.I know when you are use to power brakes it seems like you have to stand on them,but they work.

I rode in a lot of muscle cars that didn't have power brakes.

way more cars on the road, way more distracted drivers stopping distance is more important then ever.

Steve might be fun to get the old motor driving again, but a sbc might be cheaper and more fun to drive! Truck is awesome, how many classics do you have now?

chip61

Very nice truck! I have a 54 that is original except it was re-painted 35 years ago. There are several good sources of parts for these trucks, and a couple of good forums. You'll really enjoy it. I taught both my boys to drive a clutch in my 54

stevebo

@Ken- I drive by that all the time and it makes me sick every time I see it just sitting there as a flower box.

@Will- I agree on the brakes.

I am gonna need to redo the old ones any how I assume. My biggest issue I have at the moment is that I really want to dig into the project however dueto the weather I am kinda stuck. My immediate project will be to get the windows installed so the cab will be semi weathertight for the winter. Once that is done I would like to get started by pulling the seat out and getting that redone and then working on getting all the parts inside the cab cleaned up and moving (hence the salad dressing) ....lol

squonk

There's one of those cabs near me with a tree growing right thru the center

Coadster32

Nice truck for sure!!!  Shed is done and your bored already I see. :ychain:

Don1977

Extend the shed roof out over the gas pump and make a shed for the truck. That would give a place for a couple of tractors behind the gas pump.

Edited by Don1977

stevebo

Don-

If I did that momma would divorce me. I did not even talk to her about this purchase.... just showed up with it and it did not go over well.... She is coming around tho and likes the truck.

Today I figured I should get the pressure washer out and clean up the engine especially around the starter motor while the weather allows me to. I also poulled the plugs and sprayed marvel mystery oil in each cylinder in hopes that it will work the pistons free. What I found is that the valve cover on this motor is vented and not sealed tight. The truck has only 48k on it and the engine compartment looks like someone took good care of it. The carb was covered at some point long ago with plastic to keep debris out. Seems like that would not have been done if the motor was not a runner but we will find out. After pressure washing the engine, I got the "salad dressing" out (marvel mystery oil in a pump oil can) and lubed up all the parts that are suppose to move and the nuts and bolts that I will be taking off. I think the starter motor will be pulled soon and I will check it out and either have it rebuilt or clean it up and put it back in. There was lots of Kansas mud and oil on the motor but it cleaned up pretty good.

Here are some updated pics...

post-734-0-21007200-1385431827_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-96811800-1385431865_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-60420800-1385431880_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-62977700-1385431921_thumb.jpg

nylyon

Very nice Steve, I see the blue on the firewall, is the truck originally blue, or is that some sort of primer?  It seems to be in pretty decent shape, if you're not picky about OEM, I would certainly put a power booster and 4 wheel disc on there. My old 68 Mustang had manual brakes and steering, not pleasant in the least.

flyovrcntry

That look's like an old AOUGA maybe ? They were pretty common back then.

stevebo

Karl-

I am not sure. I think it may have been blue at one point and repainted red many years ago. I really dig the patina of the blue coming through the red. It took several decades to get to look this way... no way am I gonna repaint it. The only thing that will get paint is the motor (if I do a rebuild) and the rims. I am leaning towards new paint on the lettering on the tailgate and the white pinstripe on the cab. Once done... it will get a clear coat. I am bummed as I really want to dig into this project but the weather is not going to allow me and no indoor space to work on it- Uggh !!!

I changed the topic title in case anyone is doing a search on this subject...

squonk

No pcv system in the old girl. Since the fill cap is not the "breather " style you needed another vent in the cover. Should be a downdraft tube on there somewhere too. If you have to tear down the motor be careful. That engine could very well have the "pour in" babbit bearings. I worked with a guy who bought a similar truck and it had a knock. It had the pour in style bearings. He ended up putting in a newer version of a 6 banger in. It was like a 69 motor and it was so different on the little things it was really a pain to make it all work.

Edited by squonk

Ken B

I got to see Steve's truck this past weekend, its solid as a rock, I'd say it has less rust on it then most ten yr old trucks. I love the originality of the truck myself. I don't know if Steve mentioned it or not but his Uncle owns a high end machine shop well known for building competition engines, if the original motor gets rebuilt it will be done right. 

I should have never mentioned to my wife about the Farm truck I almost purchased a month ago. I never asked permission and she never said no, (if she said no it would be in my driveway) but she talked me right out of it. All that left me was truckless and wonderin what could have been...She is in for a BIG surprise when the next one comes along...

• Like 2

VinsRJ

Very nice Steve!... As a car guy for 20+ years just get the motor running... upgrade the brakes and then have fun.

A GM straight six is almost as strong as a Dodge Slant 6... Upgrade to a Pertronix ingnition and clean the fuel system from the tank to the carb... you will not have a problem.

stevebo

Do they make that for a 6 volt system?

953 nut

There is no reason to stay with six volts, I ran my '48 Ford flathead with twelve volts for a couple of years. The old six volt starter will spin a little faster and you will probably have to replace all of the light bulbs anyway. 12 volt lights will be brighter and cost a lot less than 6 volt and you can get voltage dropping resisters to go in line with that neat old heater blower.  :twocents-twocents: 

:text-goodpost:                       :text-coolphotos: 

• Like 1

stevebo

I was checking out the conversion on you tube and seems like they require a little more resistors to do the conversion.