stevebo

1949 Chevy Pick Up... New Find

Ken B

You do have ants in yer pants! We did some relaxing on Saturday at Tom's river cottage.. Where are the pics?

Coadster32

Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking Stevebo is burning the candle at 3 ends!!!

stevebo

It has been a long time since I last posted on this thread. I was speaking with a member here who really knows these old trucks and we worked out a deal to have him take the truck from where I left off to finishing it enough to run and drive. He has been picking away at it when time permits and I have to say I could not be happier. Last Friday I went to his home shop to check it out and try and start it for the first time. I attached pics of when he picked it up and a few videos from Friday and today. Looking like she will be ready for Kent this year and also my Meet and Greet in October... woo hoo !!

IMG_9198.JPG

IMG_9201.JPG

IMG_9200.JPG

IMG_9202.JPG

IMG_0414.MOV

IMG_0375.MOV

IMG_0377.MOV

IMG_0413.MOV

• Like 3

Ken B

Yeah that sounds pretty good!

chip61

I was wondering what happened to that project. You'll really enjoy it Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

stevebo

It has been a few years since I dragged this one home. I have been waiting a long time to hear it run and last Friday night was a good night. The member doing the work is really good and pays attention to details. He can chime in if he so wishes. 

Chip-
Can't wait to take if for the first ride... Looking forward to stopping in at DD's for an early morning coffee on Sunday and then heading to the local flea market and find some goodies to throw in the back!

VinsRJ

Looking great!

dclarke

Sounds good, Steve. These old Chevys have always been one of my favorites. Gonna be fun to watch the rest of this build. 

JC 1965

I love those old trucks.     :thumbs2:

Sparky

Isn't it great when there is progress on a project!
Nice Steve.
Mike........

cstempert

Yup. We gets 'em Runnin, Stoppin, and sometimes in the weeds at Hilltop Garage 958b20c0b0fda283b36e18322207d42c.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

stevebo

Chris-
Glade to see you raised your hand. 

All- Chris does excellent work for sure. If anyone local in CT or surrounding states have any older trucks (big or small) that may need work done I would not hesitate to contact Chris. He has done what he said he would do and is great at keeping me in the loop every step of the way. :D

Edited by stevebo

Ken B

Hey Chris, I see you are from Wolcott CT. Any chance you know Mike Milton? He's a big time Car guy and restorer...

stevebo

Chris is a FORD small and big truck (oldies) but I think he is starting to see the light working on this real truck... lol 

• Like 1

cstempert

Hey Chris, I see you are from Wolcott CT. Any chance you know Mike Milton? He's a big time Car guy and restorer...

No not familiar with him. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cstempert

Chris is a FORD small and big truck (oldies) but I think he is starting to see the light working on this real truck... lol 

Well seeing how I have 1949 F5 M/H 1950 F1 paneltruck 1963 F500 1997 F250 2001 F550 And drive a 2014 explorer Oh and have a retired 97 Mercury Mountaineer And my RV is F53 chassis I don't think I'll have room for a Chevy...ever Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

WNYPCRepair

My grandfather who lived in SE Missouri had a truck about that year whe I was about 5 or 6 yo.He made a cover out of corrugated tin and 2X4's.He would take me with him out to the cotton fields and sell iced down soda pop.He had a little two borner gas hot plate and would fry hamburgers. Grandpa always found a way to make a few dollars.He also sold bottle gas,he would deliver and hook up.He had a little country store with a lean to on the side where he sold used furniture

He's been gone since 1970,but that old truck of yours shook those memories loose.

My grandpa had a similar truck too. First thing I ever drove

stevebo

That is one of the reasons I bought this one. My grandfather had (what I thought was a 49' chevy) but my Uncle Bo told me his was a 46' 

stevebo

So... Chris was able to finish up on all his work late last night. I ended up driving it home about 50 min ride and left my newer truck there. It has been a fun 24 hours for sure. First thing this morning I got some help from my boy and my neighbor came over and we installed the bed, bed wood and a few other little things. Made a few trips with it to the store and it is really fun to drive. It has been a long time coming that is for sure... 

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0799.JPG

IMG_0800.JPG

IMG_0797.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_0798.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

• Like 6

Ken B

Looks real good Steve. I gotta find me one of them...

WNYPCRepair

Vehicles from those days were made of real metal. My friend had a late 40's Ford pickup with that body style. We met a car on our side of the road and went in the ditch to avoid it. The truck was sliding against the far side of the ditch for about 30' until we came to a shallow spot and got out. We went home, got out, and not a dent, that thing was solid. 

Nice looking truck.

cstempert

They were all metal and heavy, but surprisingly the earlier cars/ trucks were less safe. Check out this video from The IIHS showing a 2009 Malibu crashing into a 1959 Malibu - http://youtu.be/C_r5UJrxcck

fireman

I went for a short ride in Steve's truck this morning. That motor purrs like a kitten. Idles nice and smooth. That's the kind of old school vehicle to have. One you can drive around and not worry about getting dirty or nick or scratch here and there. Like Ken said. I got to get me one of those!

• Like 1

chip61

That turned out great!!! Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

stevebo

I clear coated the inside of the doors and kick panels. Installed seat belts and door weatherstipping. I also changed the outter door handles. Coming along... 

• Like 1