Sign in to follow this  
GlenPettit

FYI: engine metal ID tag restoration

GlenPettit

This was posted on GTtalk recently, as to where to get the metal tag for your engine restoration (you would have to go to GTtalk to send a message to Mike directly):   mike912e OFFLINE  

• photo-thumb-14152.jpg?_r=1358495762
  • Member No: 14152
  • 75 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 05:11 PM

It was listed awhile ago on Ebay . I contacted the seller to inquire whether it was just a decal or was it the original aluminum dash plate . It's just a decal and yes he says it's an original piece, but I can buy an entire aftermarket decal set for $60 or less, which includes the dash decal . The decal would probably work just fine if the fiberglass dash panel was as smooth as glass under the decal area . Any blemishes would cause an uneven finish . 

If anyone's interested, my silkscreener has a stamp made to restore the transmission metal tag's black information area . Mine was worn off and all that could be seen was the raised numbers for the tractor's serial number . When I have one in hand, I'll post pictures and asking price to have yours stripped, cleaned and restamped . I also have more of the Kohler K-161, K-181S, K241A and K301A . The area for the serial number and specification number is blank and your local engraver can match the size and font of your original Kohler ID tag . I'm asking $20 each , shipped .

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-14152-0-79698800-1383775701_thumb.j
  • post-14152-0-00752900-1383775739_thumb.j

Martin

great post Glen, not to take anything away from your post but Terry can do something similar to this, not the same but similar. his is a decal that is applied to either a tag or can be applied direct to the tin as i have done on one of mine.......

he can insert your numbers in the tag. not 100% correct as far as they are printed and not stamped but a solution......

can be found here...

http://www.redoyourhorse.com/kohler-engine-spec-plate-decals/

again, mine is just stuck on the tin, others have applied them to metal tags, I think Denny has done just that with one of his tractors, i will see if i can find a pic, or maybe he will see this. I think i remember him posting one somewhere.

post-4321-0-78342500-1384911136_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin

AMC RULES

Both options do look very nice.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

buckrancher

I think Denny posted it in his 701 restore thread

buckrancher

Glen are you going to have some of the metal Id tags (K161) at next years wheelhorse show?

brian

dclarke

Here's the one I did with Terry's decal. I had a new plate made then applied the decal.

008_zps15a30d3b.jpg

010_zps3b38bdef.jpg

• Like 1

GlenPettit

Brian:

No, I will not have the metal tags at the show.

Just posting a F.Y.I.

Some restorers are "purists" and some of us just want our tractors to look good.

(There are sets of metal punches available to stamp in the serial numbers, same size).

• Like 1