welderman85

520h motor swap questions

welderman85

hi im looking to swap a 14 horse vanguard twin on my new freebie 520h chassis what is the best way to go about doing this and could someone please give me the stock location of the motor so I know where to put this one the motor and mounting plate are gone. thank you

sorekiwi

I don't have measurements handy, but this pic might help: 

IMG_3926.jpg

You can see that the crank centerline is just behind the forward most bolt of the quick attach bracket.  A Kohler powered machine has its crank about 1" further back because the crank height is a little lower on the Kohler. 

I don't know how the crank height on the Briggs compares to the Kohler or the Onan, maybe there is a dimensioned drawing somewhere on the internet?

JoeM

I installed a 16 HP Vanguard in a 312-8 roller. I had to raise the engine up 1" so the belt aligned. I used two pieces of 2" light channel. I did not have a low profile air cleaner, so I gave it the "shaker hood" look!

Sorry, no other measurements.

Joe

post-6026-0-37049400-1384920278_thumb.jp

post-6026-0-24060800-1384920283_thumb.jp

post-6026-0-55705500-1384920287_thumb.jp

boovuc

I see the extra pulley between the mule drive and the PTO. Reason besides pulling slack on your belt?

JoeM

The reason for the pulley was to provide clearance for the oil filter. It was running to close.

• Like 1

JoeM

One other issue was the Briggs uses a 1 inch shaft transmission pulley, tough to find on in the 5 inch size for the hydro. The gear drives use a four inch and they can be found in 1 inch shaft sizes. I am not sure how this will affect the hydro using the smaller pulley??? Just thinking.