ARK

M12 S, 12 HP single, cast engine, pressure lubed or splash

ARK

1989 312-8 with cast iron Kohler, M12S, 12 HP,  1 cylinder electric start with a float in the oil pan, to turn a warning light on if low oil.  Is this engine pressure lubed or splash lubricated.  If pressure what is nominal oil pressure when cold and when at temperature and is there a port to do a pressure test?   Thank you for any help.

WH nut

Splash

gwest_ca

Low oil condition closes the switch which in turn opens a low oil relay breaking the circuit to the starter solenoid preventing the engine from starting.

A must read before removing the switch.

Garry

Fordiesel69

Splash.

Do not rely on the low oil level switch to save you.  It is a great feature to avoid major failure, but running the oil that low will not provide adequate lubrication during unlevel operation.  Example; slopes, hills, etc.

Another thing worth mentioning, is the oil needs changed every 25 hrs as a result of not having a oil filter.  That means that even when using super expensive top shelf synthetics, you still need to change it every 25.

ARK

Gentlemen

Thank you for confirming my thoughts, the guy who sold the 312-8 said it was pressure lubed and included a filter in the sale and also claimed the mower 38" when in fact it measured 44".  After 3 days of maintenance the unit operated as designed, starts in the cold after sitting 2 weeks, no smoke, all idiot lights work.  The tranny and rear end hypoid needed clean out and change and all grease fittings work.  Oiled and greased the mower and removed mower and belts and now in storage.  Raised the tractor off the floor, no fuel in the system except the tank with Seafoam..  Now for spring time.  It is a 1989 model and has had the steering and rods rebuilt.  It handles the hills very well.

Fordiesel69

He might have been confused.  The 1998 on up use a kohler command engine that would be pressure lubed.

Duff

Ark, in case you circle back to this post and see this....

I run about a half pint (1/4") over the recommended fill line on my M10's and M12's because I have to operate on moderately hilly property frequently. I figured a little extra oil in the sump would give the dipper something to splash around while on the hills, and so far I've had no problems with oil blowing out anywhere it shouldn't. The engines all run nice and quiet so I'm thinking they're getting oil OK. That said, though, I wouldn't run on a steep hill for any length of time - the oil system simply wasn't designed for it.

Just one man's experience.......

Duff  :thumbs:    

ARK

Duff, From habit I also keep the oil level slightly above the full mark.  My property isa small in-town lot with hills.  I have measured the slope and at 15 degrees these slopes are within the limits of the oil monitor.  With only a single grass cutting session the mower, tractor and engine did great, no smoke, no struggles, no slips. I also did some towing of the trailer that came with it and the combo worked nicely together, a real work horse.   At present the unit is in winter storage.  Thanks for your experiences.

AMC RULES

:wwp:

ARK

Pictures!  In storage, well the trailer from what I've seen here is a WH, but it is rusted with a lot of surface rust.  Next Spring it is getting a wash, scrub and paint.  The wheels are greased and the hinge works but the latch is rusted in place.  The tailgate operates but is like the trailer RUSTED.

The 312-8 is rust free and paint/decals are still there, stored indoors.  Being the 3rd owner, it is mechanically sound but really dirty when I took possession of it.  As an example the intake pre and filter were plugged solid with debris.  The 12 HP engine ran quiet and smooth  but was carboned up, so much so that after cleaning the idle screw had to be slowed down 3OO RPM.

This WH is of a good simplistic design, rugged and approachable.  It is stored in the garage on 2 x 6 off the floor, deck off, oiled and greased.

All that is lacking is a snow plow, and they are like hen's teeth around here. 

Now if I can have instructions on how to load up pix, I can attempt to show you instead of describing it to you.

Trouty56

I just posted this for another member....see if it helps you.....