zanepetty

spray gun recommendations!!

zanepetty

Hey all, I'm looking into purchasing a paint gun. I want something that's affordable but still sprays well as I'm almost done with priming all my pieces and need a good gun for my base and clear. Any suggestions? Thanks so much in advance.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

What is your budget? 

zanepetty

Well it would be nice to stay under 100 if possible.

Uncle Buck

Even import Harbor Freight spray guns will do a fine job of laying down base clear as long as you clean them well after using them. Given your budget they would be a logical choice as well. Professional guns new would not fit your budget for sure. I am not being critical of your budget either as I am there myself, just pointing things out is all. You might look for clones of the old Binks #7 or DeVilbiss JGA or MBC guns as well. Both of those guns have been copied by the imports for decades, both are siphon feed and should respond well. Neither clone is HVLP though so expect a lot of overspray if you choose either of those clones.

You might also look at the newer HVLP import options as well. However, if you choose HVLP make sure you have enough CFM of supply air to feed an HVLP because they demand more air than old school conventional siphon feed guns.

Hope that helps.

rmaynard

If you are a newbie to spraying, any gun is going to suffice. I have used the HVLP sprayers from Harbor freight with good success. For $15.00 you can get one, play with it, use it and throw it away when done. It's cheaper than a gallon of lacquer thinner needed to clean it.

• Like 2

zanepetty

Haha true. Well I was wanting the HVLP style for the sake of saving paint and they're not as likely to spit. My compressor stands over six feet tall so it should handle about anything I think. Also my project is going to run into winter time. Can I spray base and clear during this time or am I screwed?

rmaynard

Read the instructions on the paint. There are minimum temperatures.

zanepetty

I've gone over my can and data sheets many times and I can't find anywhere that it talks about temps. Would a body shop know?

Edited by zanepetty

rmaynard

What paint are you using? The technical data sheet will tell you what reducers and activators to use at what temperatures. Generally, the bottom limit is 55 to 65 degrees.

Edited by rmaynard

zanepetty

Acme finish one primers from Napa and I'm using the crossfire BC/cc also from Napa.

zanepetty

OK. Can I just paint in my garage if its real cold outside or does that make a difference?

DoctorHfuhruhurr

You'd want it to be warm and the air to be still (less bugs and debris) so in the garage is better.  Check the paint for the specific temperature range.  If you end up getting it at Harbor Freight you can sign up on their site for them to email you coupons OR this site has some 25% off coupons (they are a ways down on the page). http://slickdeals.net/f/1276399-harbor-freight-coupon-thread

Edited by DoctorHfuhruhurr

zanepetty

That's exactly what I'll do. My grinder and sand blaster r from harbor freight so my gun may as well be too. My paint doesn't say anything about temps though..

squonk

Zane, the tech. sheets give you drying times at 70f. The parameters Bob gave you are in the ball park. Remember also the surface you are spraying needs to be warm too not just the shop temp. Make sure they gave you the faster drying basecoat reducer and the spot/panel clear for faster drying times. Remember, spray the inside of the panels first to get a feel on how the stuff works.

• Like 1

zanepetty

Ohkay thanks. I saw that but I didn't realize that was the coldest temp you could paint. I put my primer on colder than that :/

Edited by zanepetty

squonk

If it's too cold you'll have more runs than a Mexican Restaurant.

• Like 1

JimmyJam

As all have said before: Most dry times are tested @ 70F with 50% humidity. You start lowering the temperatures and the dry times takes longer, thus creating more sagging, runs, roping. Surface temperatures run colder than air temps.

zanepetty

Right. Man I couldn't do this without you. No one I know knows this stuff or can help so thanks so much. Luckily with my primer I've had good even, glossy coats with very minimal runs. So I'll relocate to my garage and hang my parts I'm painting over a heater.

pacer

I'll throw out another "pretty darn good" on the HF guns. I had had a nice Sharpe for years and it began to show its wear so I thought, hey, Im not painting show vehicles anymore. so I'll try a HF - I mean, hey only $20+! for as Binks knockoff.

Anyway I've used it quite a bit now and the darn thing does really nice - one thing about a $20 spray gun, if it dont act right throw it away and get another - another thing about HF is their warranty, they are very liberal on returns.

zanepetty

Great! I can't wait to pick one up. Any certain model or are they all the same?

rmaynard

I got the Harbor Freight HVLP with the 20 oz cup (47016 or 67181). I also bought a detail sprayer that they had on special a year ago, but I don't see it on the website any longer.

zanepetty

OK great. Thanks, Bob. I'll be picking one up maybe today! I'm kinda excited .

squonk

I was in TSC today. They had a 4 pc. HVLP set for 79.00 2 gravity feed guns, I grav. feed touch up and a regulator

zanepetty

That's a good deal. I just can't afford to spend that much at once right now. I did go to harbor freight tonight though.. the had a few guns to choose from. The had two that both had 20 oz cups and were both purple but one came with a regulator and the other didn't. There was about a $15 price difference so I bought the 15 dollar one and bought a desperate regulator for 6 bucks plus three extra filters and cleaning brushes. I was really happy with that.

Edited by zanepetty

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

good luck, keep us posted on the guns your using. i like this forum,,,,,information galore.