erickson13455

1981 D-160 48" Snow Blower Assembly

erickson13455

Hello All,

I finally got around to putting the snowblower on my new D-160.  That thing is heavy.  I ended up with a big spring that I can't figure out where it goes.  Does any one have a snowblower diagram to help me figure out where this spring  goes.

Thanks in advance for the help,

gwest_ca

An older manual

Garry

Trouty56
post-1933-0-40628900-1349055159_thumb.jp
post-1933-0-50081400-1349055138_thumb.jp

Austin860

What is this spring suppose to do! I have the same one on mine and not quite sure how it goes togeyher

Trouty56

Blower is so heavy....the spring lessens the weight of the blower on the scraper blade or side runners.....what I do is raise the blower....set the spring and then when the blower is lowered the spring stretches.....by no means can it hold the blower up but it does lower the weight on the scraper and lowers the friction...increases some front wheel traction....and makes it easier to maneuver.....

Edited by Trouty56

Austin860

Ok so where do I hook the bottom of the spring to? Thanks so much, also what size belt do you have on

Trouty56

There is a couple holes on the frame behind the blower..... look down from above... you will see where I mean. Belt size.... there was just a thread on here about that..... I have a manual.... let me look for a part number...... 200170.....and on my handy spreadsheet it shows me 53 X 1/2.

Austin860

Ok. I put a 53 x1/2 on and it's to loose. I had to use a pipe to tention it to get the blower to spin, but man does that blower look like a bada** when it spins!

Trouty56

Saw that other thread.... gonna measure mine.... you got a d series or 18 auto?

Austin860

It's a d180

Trouty56

The belt on mine is...... 49 x 7/16. And it is adjusted to the almost shortest it can go....the right belt should work fine on mine.

Austin860

Is there a way to adjust the pulleys up or down to tighten the belt?

Trouty56
sure.....on the right side there is an adjustment......trying to see if I have a picture handy without walking out to the garage again but I may have to....

Trouty56

Gonna try to upload a picture of the adjuster in the loose position and then in the tight position.... post-1933-138383361337_thumb.jpgpost-1933-13838336431_thumb.jpg Once in the tight position the nut at the bottom is tightened....

Edited by Trouty56

Trouty56

You can see the adjustment left at the top to tighten more...... about 2 inches.

Austin860

Thank you so much

Trouty56

No problem..... hope it helps you out.

Austin860

Any experts help...my blower turns even when the pto lever is disengaged. What would cause this

eddiebunyan

Not an expert but there is an ajuster on the rod under the hood that trows the clutch out,or in..Shoten it to pull the clutch fork further back,disingaging the clutch..Or possibly you have too much tension on your belt not allowing it to slip even when disingaged.??  ED

Trouty56

With the tractor not running remove the belts from the PTO and while disengaged try to turn it by hand....check to sure it is not bound and check the adjustments as mentioned by eddiebunyun....also the PTO lever has a tendency to engage itself, not fully but it moves forward enough to allow the clutch plates to rub.  Mine does....or did.  I don't know if it is a "from the factory" item or not but some have added a spring to assist pulling the PTO back when disengaged to prevent it moving forward and engaging itself....  I have done this "fix" myself.