zanepetty

single or double stage paint?

zanepetty

Should I go with a single stage or double stage paint on my tractor?

rmaynard

Did you mean single-stage or basecoat/clearcoat?

zanepetty

Yes Sir

W/H JUNKY

I have been using PPGs Shop Line it is a single stag or (enamel) The brand code is 71310 it is JAU international Red. it looks great

rmaynard

I too have been using the same PPG Shop Line single-stage acrylic urethane paint, but I am not happy with it. The last batch that I got did not cover well. I had to apply a minimum of 3, sometimes 4 coats in order to get a good solid cover, and because it is so thin, it ran and sagged on vertical surfaces. If I stick with PPG, I am going to try basecoat/clearcoat next time. Otherwise, I am going to have the Wheel Horse red (72034) mixed in a different grade.

squonk

BC?CC is great. THe Basecoat dries super fast. The clear I would have liked to use is a spot/panel clear. It dries a tad faster than overall clear. I've used it before and it works great. They gave me overall clear when I did Marvin and didn't notice it until I had it mixed. Dries a lot slower and it would sag a bit and it's a pain keeping bugs and junk out of it when it's drying.

zanepetty

OK. I guess I'll go with base coat clear coat. I guess that goes for the frame too? Also I'm in a pickle because I was told by a local body shop that I can't spray enamel over the primer I got because it has to be sealed over first. Otherwise the paint won't stick to my self etching stuff.And it has to be sealed over in no longer than 30 mins after it was primed. Napa didn't advise me of this so the primer has been on there for a week. Can I just sand blast my engine if I plug up all the holes somehow or is that too risky for an assembled engine?

Edited by zanepetty

Ken B

I personally would not sand blast that engine. One grain of sand in your engine will kill it.

Patrick Reese

I personally would not sand blast that engine. One grain of sand in your engine will kill it.

Ditto that from experience.. years ago before I was wiser I had a Farmall Cub sandblasted to paint and although the shop duct taped everything up they didn't think of the breather cap, they left it on. After I saw this I immediately dumped the oil and washed oil through the crank case. Unfortunately a Cub that didn't smoke before blasting became a heavy smoker afterwards.. coincidence? I think not.

zanepetty

Oh man. That is scary. I guess she WONT get blasted after all.

Patrick Reese

Zane I don't have any experience with napa paints.. everyone has their preferences. Depending on your skill level and the equipment available to you. My son and I recently restored a Commando 6 (there is a thread on it under restorations). We decided to use spray cans. We chose this method as it allowed us to do a little at a time without the worry of gun clean up and such. We used Rustoleum red primer in the larger industrial cans. This primer was nice, it filled well and sanded out smooth. For our top coat we decided to try out a Duplicolor high heat engine paint for the entire tractor. This flowed out well and looked great. The only caveat to any of the spray can paints is lack of hardener. We were patient and let our painted parts outgas and harden for almost a month before messing with them. Key to any paint job is the prep. A smooth surface prior to paint and a dust free environment while painting are really important. To date we are happy with our  paint job.

WH49_zps38277217.jpg

• Like 1

zanepetty

It does look very sharp!

zanepetty

Did you apply the other primers over your self etching stuff in 20 minute intervals?

slammer302

I've used case new holland red tractor single stage paint I use cheap Walmart primer on all the little things and the frame and trans and I use a more pricier automotive primer on the hood and more visible stuff and I have had no problems even after a couple years still looks like new and that tractor paint will cover anything and stick to anything and has UV protection in it

post-6211-138515268717_thumb.jpg

zanepetty

Wow that looks nice. So far I've used all finish one acme products from Napa. But all I've done is primer so far.