wallfish

Vinegar Rust removal

squonk

Haven't tried it myself yet...   :dunno: 

but I've heard tell...molasses works better than vinegar. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq5IUiYMhRM

so that's where you got the No Socks idea!!!!
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Yeah...now that you mention it...they even sound the same, huh?    :teasing-poke: 

• Like 1

sorekiwi

Obviously not a Kiwi, a Kiwi would at least put on his jandals (flip flops) for the camera.  But I do like the Torana.

Martin

Obviously not a Kiwi, a Kiwi would at least put on his jandals (flip flops) for the camera.  But I do like the Torana.

flip flops? what are they? oh.......... you meant thongs............

alright now i understand.

i hear those GTR-XU1 Toranas are worth some serious coin these days too........

oops, hijacking threads again. sorry.......

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

pacer

Whats in the Eastwood is more than likely Phosphoric acid. I first heard/used this maybe 50 years ago in a product called "metal prep"  on the old cars we would work on - used when metal work was finished a light 'wash' of it would be applied to the cleaned metal prior to paint - wetting a rag and wiping down.

Move forward to today and I just buy Phosphoric acid that is commonly used as a grout/tile/floor cleaner (I get it at Home Depot) comes in qt & gal, a qt is $12-13. It has to be diluted quite a bit or it will go the other way and start rusting. I coat virtually everything with it on a rebuild using a squirt bottle which will tend to run or puddle and I wipe this excess down with paper towels, I will paint over this and it has never been a problem -- thats what we did with the 'metal prep'

• Like 1

Terry M

I showed you the scotch brite process only because the piece has been sitting so long.

I wanted you to see that the condition of the metal I cleaned two years ago is basically just the way I left it. 

While the zinc-phosphate coating the metal wash leaves behind does promote paint adhesion, the main purpose of this step is to buy yourself a little time, if you know it's gonna be awhile before you actually are able to put the part into paint. 

No matter what process you use to strip and preserve a part...before painting, you always have to clean the part with a quality automotive wax and degreaser.  

Thanks Craig!  This stuff will be handy for future restores :handgestures-thumbupright: .

varosd

so I dumped a couple small deck pieces into a glass jar and it does work!  Obviously, my E-tank will be for the bigger pieces but for a handful of small brackets, bolts etc  it is so easy just to dump them into container and forget about it!

sorekiwi

I have also heard that Vinegar will remove the plating off nuts and bolts for welding.  Makes sense but I haven't tried it. 

You might want to be a bit careful if you throw in some of the handbrake levers or PTO levers.

I have had good success with throwing plated parts in Oxalic acid.

IMG_2804.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

• Like 1