bitten

Powder coating

bitten

I found a company near me that does powder coating and after calling them and getting a quote of $85 per wheel ( wanting to do all 4 of them ) I thought about buying a kit and doing it my self. Looking at the Eastwood products I can buy a kit and oven and still save some money and do other things in the future. 

I am looking for all the information I can get. Have others used there kits and with what outcome? 

Thank you for all your input.

Fun Engineer

Martin will chime in on this one.

• Like 1

GlenPettit

There are companies who will powder coat a bunch of your parts at the same time,

and the price per piece will drop considerably, the more you have done at once.

Shop around.    You can do some of the prep work yourself.

Their price does seem very high.

• Like 1

bitten

Thats the problem. They are the only people that I could find around me. I wouldnt mind a little drive but just thinking do for myself.

Martin

Like Glen mentioned, companies will give more of a break if you take more in. Most big places will just quote a 'lot charge', total . I would go back to them and ask if they would give you a break on multiple items.

That price is not out of line if you just take one wheel in. Set up is where a lot of the cost is. For that price $50 is probably just setup.

The company I work for would be around $150-200 for 4 wheels. But if you sent 8 in, they would run $250-300 total. More is better. Takes 1/2 hour to setup a color, less than 5 min to paint one wheel........

15-20 minutes to blast, maybe 45 minutes for all 4. If the wheels are powder already that would need to be stripped first.

If you want more info on powdercoat search 'powdercoat', 'kvf' on here, I've already written a bit on here you can read without repeating and doubling up info on the forum. Pm with questions too and I can try and help out. But do some reading first, lot of info here already, even concerning Eastwood setups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Like 2

Coadster32

If I'm not mistaken, you'll need a sacrificial kitchen oven as well.

AMC RULES

Always wanted to try that Eastwood kit too...

if you decide to give it a go, keep us updated please.   :thanks:

JimmyJam

I also have a guy that will also powder coat rims for about the same costs. He will dismount tires, sand-blast, zinc coat, spray-n-bake, and remount tires. Only trouble is he uses DuPont paint and for rims they only have a "Colonial White" as an off-white choice. Anyone have any experience with that color choice for Wheel Horse rims?

Martin

I also have a guy that will also powder coat rims for about the same costs. He will dismount tires, sand-blast, zinc coat, spray-n-bake, and remount tires. Only trouble is he uses DuPont paint and for rims they only have a "Colonial White" as an off-white choice. Anyone have any experience with that color choice for Wheel Horse rims?

i use 'oyster white' from a different manufacturer, its RAL1013, also known as 'terex white'.

if you go to duponts RAL web page, http://www.dupontpowderapps.com/default.aspx?ptype=ral  you should find RAL 1013 about 8 rows up from the bottom of the chart. its dupont number is PFLR01S7.........

Edited by Martin

JimmyJam

Thanks Martin!

Hard to believe from their website that, that color code looks like a creamy-off-white for rims on earlier Wheel Horses. My guy showed me a color chip called "Colonial White" as a stock DuPont color. ????  He use to use PPG powder coat. Now I'm confused!!!!

Edited by JimmyJam

Martin

i just searched and couldnt find that color either. i guess you would need a paint number for it, dupont sometimes changes some colors names/numbers..... 

i would use the ral 1013 from any manufacturer.

heres some more info......

http://www.ralcolor.com

Edited by Martin

bitten

The wheels are off of a 520 that Im using for a project so I will be going with a gray. I did find a company thats 50 miles from me and will call them Monday. I am still thinking about doing it myself and at this point really depends on what they say.

Martin

if you are going grey or silver check out this thread. i used dupont silvadillo PFA500M9 on these parts, fairly close match for the wheel color on my 416H....

also, heres a wheel i did around 6 months ago this color.....

post-4321-0-51541500-1382814502_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin

zach

I've got a buddy that bought the Eastwood kit. has done many things for me and they turn out good all he uses is an electric house oven

• Like 1

zieg72

An electric range works perfect and DIY cheapo powder units work fine.  Works even better if you pre-heat the rims.  When I get my shop done I plan to have a nice set up to do small stuff. 

Ken B

I've considered power coating but some of the powder coat jobs I've seen on tractors look like they have an egg shell finish. I wouldn't know where to go in my area, the only guy I'd trust to do a killer job is Martin!

• Like 2

bitten

I have been looking for a cheap oven. With the weather changing I have put all my metal finishing on hold. So I have some time to get the stuff to do it. I plan on using the Eastwood kit and am still doing research on what powder to use. Thank you all for your help.

rmaynard

My powder coater does all four rims (sandblast and coat) for $55.00.

• Like 1

bitten

I wouldnt even think about doing it myself for that price.