leeave96

IH Hytran Tranny Oil in a Wheelhorse???

leeave96

I gather Hytran is 10w at oil and am considering using it in my old hydro and gear drive Wheelhorse tractors and maybe a Simplicity.

Wheelhorse hydros with Eaton 1100 pump calls for 10W-30 oil. Gear drives originally 140wt gear oil and later 90wt gear oil.

In as much as IH used Hytran in both gear and hydro tractors, wondering if it would be a decent substitute? I'm mostly interested due to Hytran oil quality reputation and moisture handling characteristics.

Any thoughts on is would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill

Lane Ranger

I would stick with 10 w 30 or even 30 W in gear drive Wheel Horses.

SousaKerry

The difference in Hytran used in gear drive farm tractors is the gear oil was often in the same sump as the Hydraulic pump and they used a pressurized lubrication system inside the gear case fed by the overflow from the Hydraulic pump.  Uni-drive trannys have none of this and you need a thick oil that will be picked up by the gears and distributed around the gear-case.  Also you don't want a thin oil to run out of all your bearings every time it sits for a few days. 

Hydro's are very hard to get every last drop of oil out, and Hytran may have incompatible additives to engine oil.  This may actually cause the oil to turn to jelly (I've seen it happen in industrial hydraulic systems)

I would stick with the manufacturers recommendations.