rmaynard

How do you remove the 1533 bearings without damage?

rmaynard

Most of the time when I am replacing bearings I am not concerned about removal damage. However, I am parting two B-80 4-speed transmissions that each have two excellent condition #1533 bearings. So my question is, how do you remove them without damaging them? With these bearings being declared NLA (no longer available), I figure it might be nice to have a couple on hand.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I would send a PM to Mike (racinfool40)...he has been practicing for some time now.  I know they make a tool for that...goes in and you expand the puller by tightening a nut, gripping under the bearing race and then tapping out.  I had luck with an air hammer and a small spade bit...3 rat-tat-tat's and the bearing popped right out...could have been lucky.;  I bought a lottery ticket that day. :)

• Like 1

Lagersolut

Most of the time when I am replacing bearings I am not concerned about removal damage. However, I am parting two B-80 4-speed transmissions that each have two excellent condition #1533 bearings. So my question is, how do you remove them without damaging them? With these bearings being declared NLA (no longer available), I figure it might be nice to have a couple on hand.

This is how I did it and they came out nice- two of these 4" Task force vice grips - one side of the case though I did need to grind the bottom of the vise grip jaws to get fully under the bearing - after I got a " light " clamp on the bearing I tapped it out from the other side with a 1" iron pipe and a dead blow hammer .

dbh1jm.jpg

242hjsw.jpg

• Like 1

dclarke

Bob, I use a slide hammer. I also have a 1/2" carriage bolt @ 6" long that I have ground part of the head off so it will fit under the bearing and I use that to pry the bearing up a little if I can't get the slide hammer jaws under it. I got that idea from Steve. Works well for me.

• Like 3

Anglo Traction

Bob, It depends on whether your prepared to sacrifice the Housing Halves and if you can set them under a Bench or Pillar Drill Press.

I would measure the depth, position and mark the outer diameter of the Bearings on the exterior of the cases and drill 5/16 dia on the centre of the line.

Drill in 4 equidistant places around the circumference to near contact of the outer shell of the Bearing.

Change out the Drill Bit for a 5/16" Slot Drill and carefully (slow feed) drill until it just breaks through the Cast Iron.

You can then carefully tap out the bearing gently in each opposite hole.....no strain on the inner race that way. 

buckrancher

I use a long brass rod around 3/8" and drive them out from the axle side  have not hurt one yet or

you can also try putting the case halves in the oven on tin foil bearings facing the rack and heat them to 250 degrees they

may fall out on there own

Brian

• Like 1

squonk

I was reading down the thread and thinking heat and Brian beat me to it. Get the case warm enough and they will fall out

rmaynard

Thanks for all the great ideas. Don't know which one I will use, but I now have choices. :thumbs:

sorekiwi

I use a slide hammer with an internal 2 leg puller attachment.  Ideally you shouldn't hammer or pull on the inner race (while the outer race is constrained) but I've never hurt one.  They aren't in there too tight. 

• Like 1

daveoman1966

Using a long 3/8 carriage bolt, hold the ROUND HEAD of it inside the tube far enough to 'hook' the outer rim of the bearing.  Now, slide in a round bar (or another axle) from the hub side of the tube and hold it firmly up against the round head of the carriage bolt.  Next, either use the bar as a slide hammer to ram against the round end of the carriage bolt, or a heavier steel hammer of some sort.  You may have to 're-hook' the carriage bolt from side to side but this works for me without fail.  When you can see the bearing has moved a little bit, find a bigger dia carriage bolt..and work it from side to side.   

Edited by daveoman1966

rmaynard

I totally stripped the two B80 transmission this afternoon. Got both sets of 1533's out without damage. They are both good. I found my old slide hammer that I had inherited from my father but never used. Well I used it today and it worked very well. One set came out a lot easier than the other.

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Bob, how about a picture of that tool you came by...would help others...including me. :)  As you found out...I am not done learning also. :eusa-think:

• Like 1

squonk

These are my axle bearing pullers. The one on the right expands as you hold the knurled wheel and turn the bolt. You use a slide hammer with a hook on the bolt with it. The one one the right was a GM axle bearing tool that 2 Gibronies borowed it at a place I used to work at and unbeknownest to me they modified to fit the ever present and always broken Chrysler rear axle. It comes in 3 sizes and I think you can get a set of them at Harbor Freight. You screw the slide hammer shaft into the end. The plate rocks and hooks to the back of the bearing race, or at least it used to.

IMG_0477_zps2de027e0.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

rmaynard

Bob, how about a picture of that tool you came by...would help others...including me. :)  As you found out...I am not done learning also. :eusa-think:

Here is the old slide hammer. I had actually forgotten that I had it.

post-2221-0-67018300-1382575442_thumb.jp

post-2221-0-09668000-1382575435_thumb.jp

• Like 2

tunahead72

Thanks for the photos, Bob, from another guy who's still learning.  Now, if you could show me how to actually use the contraption, my education will be complete!  Maybe a tech seminar at the big show next year?  :icecream:

squonk

You catch the edge of the inner race with the hook  in Bob's close up and slide the weight (hammer) towards the opposite end and bang it on the nut on the end of the shaft. Work your way around the bearing evenly until it pops out. The weight banging creates an abrupt force pulling the bearing.

rmaynard

That is correct. However, if you bring a transmission with you to the next show Ed, I will happily demonstrate.

stevasaurus

Thanks Bob. :)

groundhog47

Good post maynard, was looking for rating stars and can not find. Thanks for this info, nearing entry into damaged 8 speed and wish to savesalvage as much as can. Hubs beatin' me now, but that's another topic!