Fordiesel69

Kohler Piston Rings?

Fordiesel69

Question:

Picked up a Magnum 12 locally and it burns a TON of oil.  However it looks like bore polishing is to blame, the rubber breather hose that goes in the back of the air filter housing was wrong.  Someone stuck a vinyl hose in there that did not fit tight at all.  So it has been sucking in unfiltered air for quite some time.

It has a standard MAHLE style D piston in it, and has a little play but no ridge at all on the top of the cylinder bore.  I cannot insert a .010 piston in it, usually when they are worn bad, you can get the next size to start in a bit.  Would I be able to run a bottle brush hone thru it just enough to creat a new crosshatch pattern, and than slap a new set of std rings on the old piston, maybe even .010 rings and just file the ends?  I hate to completely rebuild it as it does not knock, and the valves are tight.

bowtiebutler956

I have honed cylinders, then file fit the next size up rings to fit many times over the years, with varying results. Most of the time they turn out quite well if the cylinder isn't to bad. I collect old 30's, 40's, and 50's vintage engines, and in many cases oversize pistons are no longer available, so I've used this procedure many times, and 9 times out of 10 they turn out great. Occasionally you get one that still smokes a little. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

• Like 1

zanepetty

That's awesome. I constantly Learn new things on here. You guys are mechanically inclined around here! Haha