Sign in to follow this  
bell

The 1045.... is ALIVE!

bell

I worked on the 1045 today... I bought a new battery, ignition switch, and fixed some of the wiring.... I put fresh gas in it and a new spark plug... and it started RIGHT up!

Other than needing the carburetor rebuilt, it runs like a CLOCK! When you throttle it up, it stumbles a bit and puffs a little black smoke, before it revs up.

I need to change the points, because it was sitting outside for YEARS with the points cover off... I never dreamed it would start with the points being all "crusty", but it did!

I jumped on and made a lap around the neighborhood... at 9:30pm... I hope all the neighbors understand.. lol

:horseplay: :horseplay:

I think this is going to be a GREAT tractor. It has TONS of power.... You have to be careful letting the clutch out in high gear, even at idle... the front tires want to come up for some reason... lol :banghead:

1045ALIVE%21_001.jpg

1045ALIVE%21_002.jpg

Kelly

Glad to here it's a runner, gota love them old Kohlers, they are tuff.

Now you need to make a list of parts for you project.

bell

Glad to here it's a runner, gota love them old Kohlers, they are tuff.

Now you need to make a list of parts for you project.

Yes I do..

So far, I know I need:

drive belt cover

sheet metal that goes between the steering "stand" and the transmission... looks like it has been cut. :banghead:

dash panel

choke and throttle cables

seat

correct steering wheel

If anybody has any of these parts, message me.

I am new to this, so if you can see anything that I need to change.. PLEASE let me know.

I'm hoping to find a correct one at the Elnora show, next weekend... so I can see what is correct and what is not.

I'll post some more pics in a few. JB

bell

Thanks in advance for any help, JB

1045_002.jpg

1045_001.jpg

1045_005.jpg

1045_004.jpg

1045_003.jpg

1045_009.jpg

1045_007.jpg

1045_008.jpg

Kelly

Where are you located? I may have some left overs.

bell

Where are you located? I may have some left overs.

Ceterpoint, IN

I would gladly pay shipping though.

Let me know what you have and how much you want for it... I should have $ in the next couple weeks. Thanks, JB

Kelly

Can you tell me if the front of the hood, where there is normally a decal is the same as your 876, or is it more flat not recesed, I can't tell from the pic's.

bell

Can you tell me if the front of the hood, where there is normally a decal is the same as your 876, or is it more flat not recesed, I can't tell from the pic's.

It appears to be VERY similar to the 876, but slightly different... It is recessed, but the recessed area is slightly narrower than the 876. also, the "edge" of the recessed area doen't seem to be as pronounced as the 876.

bell

I also need the correct fuel tank and the S/G belt cover....

I will get some pics of the front of the hood...

bell

Here are the pics of the front of the hood... They look to be the same style..

The 876

photoshoot_005.jpg

The 1045

photoshoot_004.jpg

bell

I figured out the stumble... The timing (point gap) was off... I put a new set of points in it and it runs nearly PERFECT now... :horseplay: :horseplay:

Some buddies of mine came over... and we found a piece of mandrel bent exhaust pipe....

The muffler was rotted out, so we cut it off and welded the stack to the pipe fitting... (only tacked, as to not break the block if I hit something)

This thing sounds WICKED! lol

photoshoot_006.jpg

bell

Don't worry, the stack is only temporary... It will have a actual muffler with a rain cap when it's done... This will be the only deviation from stock, with the exception of the EXTREMELY rare front tires...

bell

I also need the correct fuel tank and the S/G belt cover....

After looking at some pics of original ones, there is not supposed to be a S/G belt cover...

So, there's one less part I need! :banghead:

TT

After looking at some pics of original ones, there is not supposed to be a S/G belt cover...

Yeah... it actually had a S/G belt guard when built.......

It's just that a lot of other tractors have lost theirs too. :banghead:

Put it back on your list, Jon. :USA:

bell

DOH! :banghead:

I was looking at the one on the front cover of the Farm Collector Magazine (the one from a couple years ago with the WH show) and it didn't have one... Also, there's a guy with one for sale on here that doesn't have one.... I sure hope I can find one... :omg:

What other model(s) can I use for the belt guard and sheetmetal between the dash? We'll be heading to the Elnora show next friday... hopefully I can find som GOODIES! There is usually a pretty good swap meet there.... :USA:

Kelly

The lower sheet metal can be cut from most 62 to 64 tractors, with the alum. gas tank, the S/G belt guard is only 1045, 1055, 1075, the drive belt guard is only 1045, but you can modify a kohler powered tractor belt guard from 62 to 67 short frame tractors, the 1055 is diff. but could be made to work with a minor mod, the fuel tank shoud be most from 65 to 68 with the square hood and square tank, you will need the tank strap also, the seat is the square pan style, from 61 to 64 other makes used them, the steering wheel is the 2 spoke, from 64 to 67 and a few newer,again other makes used them, just make sure the center hole will work, or can be drilled the right size, 3/4", the front tires are 1045 only, if you want them to have the words Wheel horse on them, I have a Gambles hardware store tractor with the same one's, correct size just they say carlisle on them, I will have one orig. tire left over but it is ruff, if you need a tool box under the seat 63 and 64 are the same.

I'll look the pic's over better to see if I spot anything else, and if I'm not correct on anything, someone please correct me, but I think I got it right.

bell

I found a S/G belt cover off of a 1257 (k301) will this work?

Kelly

I missed the left body cover/ brake cover, most 62 to 64 tractors, and the brake rod is wrong and missing the park brake lever, and a dash panel, I'm not sure what all will be right, but it will need the hole for the gen light, another item I didn't see, and no hole for headlights, cables can be had off ebay, I bought some they are pretty nice.

bell

The lower sheet metal can be cut from most 62 to 64 tractors, with the alum. gas tank, the S/G belt guard is only 1045, 1055, 1075, the drive belt guard is only 1045, but you can modify a kohler powered tractor belt guard from 62 to 67 short frame tractors, the 1055 is diff. but could be made to work with a minor mod, the fuel tank shoud be most from 65 to 68 with the square hood and square tank, you will need the tank strap also, the seat is the square pan style, from 61 to 64 other makes used them, the steering wheel is the 2 spoke, from 64 to 67 and a few newer,again other makes used them, just make sure the center hole will work, or can be drilled the right size, 3/4", the front tires are 1045 only, if you want them to have the words Wheel horse on them, I have a Gambles hardware store tractor with the same one's, correct size just they say carlisle on them, I will have one orig. tire left over but it is ruff, if you need a tool box under the seat 63 and 64 are the same.

I'll look the pic's over better to see if I spot anything else, and if I'm not correct on anything, someone please correct me, but I think I got it right.

Excellent info! :banghead:

I'm not too worried about having the correct front tires... If I can find some with the same tread pattern, or similar... I'll be happy.

Otherwise, I would like to make it as correct as possible...

I really appreciate all the help, Jon

:USA::omg::thumbs: :lol:

dieselhorse

The fronts on it now look very similar to what carslile offers thru M.E. Miller tire. If the dry rot isnt to bad, just have them tubed. Thats what has been done to my 8-8spd horse. All four tires are tubed, and while dry cracked, still work just fine. Mike

bell

Well, I've been searching... I think I found a fuel tank... Does this look like the correct one?

Tank.JPG

And a seat... I believe this is off of a different brand... Is it the correct one?

c619_1.jpeg

:banghead: JB

TT

The tank is incorrect, but the seat isn't.

I actually know of a guy who is watching that same "Fostoria, OH" seat though. :banghead:

bell

The tank is incorrect, but the seat isn't.

I actually know of a guy who is watching that same "Fostoria, OH" seat though. :USA:

:banghead: lol

At least I know what to look for now... :omg:

Kelly

The S/G belt guard will not fit, with out some mods to the mounting tabs, the cover it's self is the same, the gas tank if you laied it on it's side looks about what your looking for.