swarfeater

sorta new chipper

swarfeater
  • got this chipper at the junk yard, swapped for junk i had, so it cost nothing. it had a blown motor and was opposite rotation being that it was direct coupled to the engine crank. now i know all the naysayers say a twisted belt drive is a no-no, and technically they are right, but i have 7 hrs on it according to the hour meter and have only adjusted the belt once(about 10 minutes after the initial start). the fun part was the shaft, it had a nice 6 degree taper(self locking) taper the rotor attached to, and if you ever worked with them you know how just a little off changes location of the attaching parts a LOT. but it came out nice.  i tilted the chipper deck at a 15 degree angle (165 degrees instead of 180) for belt clearance, which gave me 1/8" static clearance but they did rub a bit as they bounced around while running, hence the idler. it is installed on the non-load side and was  quite fun. i had it in and out of the lathe 6 times as i shaped it to the exact shape of the belt. it adds no twisting force to the belt at all and only shifts it 1/4" sideways. the only thing i bought was a 24" piece of 4140(overkill) that i needed 8" for another project also,cost $24. evertything else i had on hand , yes i am a parts hoarder, so total cost was less than $30 and it works like a champ. if i can quit using it i will build a belt guard, clean a paint it, red of course.]post-10918-0-35866900-1382028230.jpgpost-10918-0-35866900-1382028230.jpg

post-10918-0-47865900-1382028250.jpg

Edited by swarfeater
  • Like 2

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:   Nice job, the whole setup looks first class!  :woohoo: 

:USA: 

timo4352

Nice work. :bow-yellow:

shallowwatersailor

Looks good! Price was right too!