rhilton284

Prototype Cyclone Rake and Receiver Type Tow Hitch

rhilton284

I have seen a few requests for tow hitch options on the forum. Well here is a design I am working on. It is a combination Cyclone Rake and Receiver type hitch. It is in the prototype stage right now and I have a fabricator estimating it as we speak. This has been a result of my Cyclone Rake twisting my tow bar off once and getting close to it a second time.

I hope the Cyclone Rake will have a hard time twisting this off. It will probably turn the tractor over first???? :roll:  

Prototype+Tractor+Hitch.jpg  

Edited by rhilton284
  • Like 2

rmaynard

I will be happy to be a guinea pig and test one out for you. My Cyclone Rake had been pulled by a John Deere and now a Simplicity, but never a Wheel Horse, simply because there has never been a hitch suitable for the task. That looks up to the challenge.  :thumbs: 

:WRS:  Very glad to have you aboard.

• Like 1

rhilton284

I will be happy to be a guinea pig and test one out for you. My Cyclone Rake had been pulled by a John Deere and now a Simplicity, but never a Wheel Horse, simply because there has never been a hitch suitable for the task. That looks up to the challenge.  :thumbs:

:WRS:  Very glad to have you aboard.

Thanks for the Good Words. My Wheel Horse has the power without a doubt. The stock tow bar is not suited for hauling the Cyclone Rake around. In addition the adaptor that you get from the Cyclone Rake folks is very poorly designed for the stress it puts on the tow bar. Hopefully my design will suit the bill.

Edited by rhilton284

rmaynard

PM sent.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:WRS:

• Like 1

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Someone else did a cyclone rake mod in this hitch build that you may want to check out.  

• Like 1

rhilton284

Sent him a PM without a response so I went ahead and designed my own.

shallowwatersailor

Someone else did a cyclone rake mod in this hitch build that you may want to check out.  

This was my modification using Scott's 2" receiver hitch. I'm getting ready for another season of leaf patrol this weekend. After my third version which allows  use of a Rear Attach-A-Matic as well, I contacted Cyclone Rake about their poorly designed adapter for the Wheel Horse, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. It is a shame because it is a quality product otherwise. I would still recommend it.

I have seen a few requests for tow hitch options on the forum. Well here is a design I am working on. It is a combination Cyclone Rake and Receiver type hitch. It is in the prototype stage right now and I have a fabricator estimating it as we speak. This has been a result of my Cyclone Rake twisting my tow bar off once and getting close to it a second time.

I hope the Cyclone Rake will have a hard time twisting this off. It will probably turn the tractor over first???? :roll:  

Are you planning on bolting the CR plate to your hitch? You might consider 1/8" or 1/4" 2" x 2" angle to bring the CR closer to the tractor which will lessen the sideways torque load.

• Like 1

rhilton284

This was my modification using Scott's 2" receiver hitch. I'm getting ready for another season of leaf patrol this weekend. After my third version which allows  use of a Rear Attach-A-Matic as well, I contacted Cyclone Rake about their poorly designed adapter for the Wheel Horse, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. It is a shame because it is a quality product otherwise. I would still recommend it.

Are you planning on bolting the CR plate to your hitch? You might consider 1/8" or 1/4" 2" x 2" angle to bring the CR closer to the tractor which will lessen the sideways torque load.

I am going to use the plate I got with the CR right now. It will be bolted directly to the hitch via the outboard 3/8" holes in the hitch. I can't remember what the hitch adaptor that I got with the CR costed but I would expect they are concerned about the cost of theses hitches and their ability to profit from them. Just my guess. I saw a plate for a 3 point hitch was all of $79.00. That would be about $25.00 worth of actual material and labor. Our hitch all run at least $150.00 which would not leave much meat on the bone for them. I liked Scotts receiver and your mods. I see he is not making them anymore. A full time plus overtime job or something.

I would like to modify the design to include a Rear Attach-A-Matic so I am going to have to research the critical design features and dimensions of the Rear Attach-A-Matic to make it happen. Do not know what they are right now.

ben06351

Really like this design. I made a hitch for my cyclone rake a few years back. I have the really big Cyclone Rake so it can def. handle the torque I've watched the guys really beat the hell out it too. I also incorporated the rear plow hitch it works for me. 

• Like 1

Forest Road

Nice design. Probably overkill. I have one of Scotty's hitches on a 314h and am beyond happy with it. Save yourself some money and place an order with Scotty's friend. I'm confident it'll do the job for you .

• Like 1

rhilton284

Really like this design. I made a hitch for my cyclone rake a few years back. I have the really big Cyclone Rake so it can def. handle the torque I've watched the guys really beat the hell out it too. I also incorporated the rear plow hitch it works for me. 

I actually tried to get a hold of Scott before I went through this exercise. I could not reach him so I went ahead and designed my own hitch. I decided that I might add the "quick attach rear hitch" into the mix and try to make it within Wheel Horse dimensional Specs. It is currently designed specifically as I needed it and that is the problem. If I decide to use a WH dozer blade for example my dimensions for the side to side dimensions will need to work with the WH dozer frame. I have decided to take a little more time and development to make sure it is compatible with WH standard attachments. Any input and help will be greatly appreciated.

I would like to see your hitch if you have some pics.

Edited by rhilton284

rhilton284

Nice design. Probably overkill. I have one of Scotty's hitches on a 314h and am beyond happy with it. Save yourself some money and place an order with Scotty's friend. I'm confident it'll do the job for you .

You might be right. I have the biggest CR and I have had a problem with the darn thing twisting the tow bar right slam off. Over kill, maybe but I would rather error on the safe side. I actually tried to get a hold of Scott before I went through this exercise. I could not reach him so I went ahead and designed my own hitch.. I decided to design my own rather than copy his. (I did not think he would appreciate me copying his design and it would not be ethical in the first place...)

If someone else out there is doing hitches for the 520 it would indeed save me a lot of grief. I did not run across anyone other than Scott and left to my own device I spent a little time to come up with my prototype. As an after thought I decided that I might add the "quick attach rear hitch" into the mix and try to make it within Wheel Horse dimensional Specs. It is currently designed specifically as I needed it and that is the problem. If I decide to use a WH dozer blade for example my dimensions for the side to side dimensions will most likely not work with the WH dozer frame. I have decided to take a little more time and development to make sure it is compatible with WH standard attachments. Any input and help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by rhilton284

Martin

You might be right. I have the biggest CR and I have had a problem with the darn thing twisting the tow bar right slam off. Over kill, maybe but I would rather error on the safe side. I actually tried to get a hold of Scott before I went through this exercise. I could not reach him so I went ahead and designed my own hitch.. I decided to design my own rather than copy his. (I did not think he would appreciate me copying his design and it would not be ethical in the first place...)

If someone else out there is doing hitches for the 520 it would indeed save me a lot of grief. I did not run across anyone other than Scott and left to my own device I spent a little time to come up with my prototype. As an after thought I decided that I might add the "quick attach rear hitch" into the mix and try to make it within Wheel Horse dimensional Specs. It is currently designed specifically as I needed it and that is the problem. If I decide to use a WH dozer blade for example my dimensions for the side to side dimensions will most likely not work with the WH dozer frame. I have decided to take a little more time and development to make sure it is compatible with WH standard attachments. Any input and help will be greatly appreciated.

tom, who built the hitches with scott in the past, is doing another build now, thread here......

• Like 1

Marv

Sure like the looks of that. I am using the CR supplied hitch. It works but I never really liked it's design. Yours is a much better heavy duty design.

Marvin

• Like 1

rhilton284

Sure like the looks of that. I am using the CR supplied hitch. It works but I never really liked it's design. Yours is a much better heavy duty design.

Marvin

I have not gotten a quote from the fabricator yet but from the conversations I have had with him he is figuring a day of fab work plus materials. From there I am expecting around $350.00 labor and materials.

There has been a couple guys that have suggested Scott and Tom' s hitch so I have ordered one as an alternative along with a warn receiver wench mount. All together I think I will have about $220 in to it putting it together that way. About an $130.00 estimated savings.

I still think my design has a lot of potential and I may go ahead with my design if the fabricator comes up with a really good price with a few modifications. We will just have to see how that works out. The design is still being developed and will reappear later with some modifications that will more closely work with standard Wheel Horse Attachments and mounts. My design is certainly not dead but is evolving.

Don1977

I had top post battery and a vacuum with 4 HP Kohler hanging on this hitch with a 3' x 5' x 3' high trailer attached. It's made with 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle and only clamped to the rear axle. I used it for 20 years that way. I changed to a receiver type hitch after seeing Scott's hitch.

2005-07-13006.jpg

• Like 1