stevebo

Horse Stable Build (Mini Version)

dclarke

Your shed looks great, Steve. The green windows really add to it..... :thumbs:

posifour11

Had a thought while admiring you horse barn. You may want to enclose to bottom. You don't want wildlife taking up residence under there. Especially skunks and possums.

stevebo

Been a real busy week and weekend at work. I was able to get away from it for a little bit to get some wood burning....

I agree with your thoughts on the wildlife under the shed. I am "thinking" of making a field stone foundation.... I was able to get some shelves installed too...

post-734-0-50617200-1384127962_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-75975700-1384127979_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-69667200-1384127998_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-24243400-1384128364_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

posifour11

Way too organized. Gotta mess it up a bit.

• Like 2

stevebo

No pics of the outside but i picked up some 3/8 gravel and spread it around the back and side of the shed to clean it up and keep the weeds down. I also changed the fire surround using the metal roof panels. I installed trim pieces on the sides and top. The bottom is open about 3 inches from the floor and there is about 2 inches of space behind the panels to allow for air to circulate. The panels will get painted with high heat paint as well.

post-734-0-33749500-1384219287_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-00438800-1384219304_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

stevebo

Woke up to snow this morning so I was able to take some time to buy about 3 cords of wood from a local guy on CL. Got the splitter fired up and split some wood. It was a nice relief day after working all weekend. I have about 2 more cords to pick up and split. Had the stove going while splitting the wood.

post-734-0-50720700-1384304810_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-31332900-1384304861_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Coadster32

Friggin awesome!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Steve look for a truck bed gas pump and tank second hand, you should be able to rig up from that

Something like this...easier to move from the truck to your pump. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=gas+transfer+tank&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.X+pro+fuel+transfer+tank&_nkw=+pro+fuel+transfer+tank&_sacat=0

stevebo

I have been waiting almost 2 years to finally install this dealer sign the I got from a friend and member here (Riley08). This started as a double sided, 4x6 ft sign but it would have been much to big and by cutting it down I can use the opposite side elsewhere. I mounted it on the old barn beam and used the brackets that it was hung with to support the barn beam. This weekend we are going to get everything wired up and hopefully figure out a way to get this sign to light up....

post-734-0-06226600-1384566413_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-74381900-1384566450_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-77021200-1384566474_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-89062100-1384566495_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

stevebo

All-

Just an update on my barn.......... Well... I was out on Thursday afternoon working on the new 1054 with the wood stove burning nicely. Around 7 pm I called it quits for the night. Prior to heading around 10:30 go to I opened the front door to check on a possum trap I had set up and I smelled smoke. I figured it was one of the neighbors running the fireplace but I was not sure. I went back in and looked out the window at the barn and saw the back corner of the barn was on fire !! OMG ran upstairs and told the wife, ran out to find the entire back corner of the barn above the stove on fire. First thing I did was push/toss the electric start 56RJ, RJ59 and 702 out the doors. I then grabbed the gas cans that were inside and move them outside. Next I ran into the house to grab the fire extingusher (chemical one) and hit the flames. It was still flaming pretty good so I ran back inside and grabbed the pressurized water extingusher I had and hit the flames with that as well. That did a pretty good job slowing it down but not out by any means. I always have the hose drained out so I hook it up to the spicket and what do you know... the frost proof tap was frozen !!! I have never had this freeze on never!!

Once I figured that would not work I told the wife to call 911 and get the fireman out to help put it out. They arrived and did a nice job for me. So...... that night was not good at all!! I did this in my pjs and socks. Friday after work I began to pull the burnt wood out and re framed the wall. Today I managed to rebuild the wall and roof joists sistered up. I will need to replace 4 or 5 roof panels and trim.

I feel very fortunate to have caught this as it could have been very bad. Below are some before and after pics.

post-734-0-55632100-1394329361_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-63867400-1394329385_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-26028400-1394329408_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-20961900-1394329430_thumb.jpg

Sparky

Glad no people or machines were hurt/damaged. Were you able to determine the exact cause??

Mike............

Jake Kuhn

Very good to hear you found it before it got too bad steve! Glad nobody or  :wh: 's  where hurt!

Edited by Jake Kuhn

stevebo

I believe it was from the stove pipe. The surround I built did the job as there was no damage behind that.

Terry M

OH-CRAP!! :text-imsorry: , I hate to see something like that happen.   well its nice to see that no people or horses were hurt….

fireman

Man you caught that about as early as possible! 5 more minutes and it would have been all over with.

wallfish

WOW, that sucks! Glad to see you caught it before it got worse.

Fun Engineer

Steve, you are very lucky. 

Horse Fanatic

Very scary! Glad no one was hurt and you collection was unharmed.

squonk

Wood stove's are nice but man that's why I don't and won't have one. I use a propane direct vent heater in my shop installed by the gas co. I pay more than my buddies with coal and wood but there is no work involved  and I don't have to worry about gas fumes hitting a flame.

Sparky

I'm thinking after its all rebuilt that you need to find some wall space in the barn for a nice big 'ol fire extinguisher.

Mike.........

Coadster32

Dam!!! Lucky ducky on the catch. Quick rebuild as well. Are you going to abort the whole stove idea all together?

shorts

I'm glad that you got lucky and were able to prevent a serious loss and damage.

I'm with Squonk, I love the radiant heat and ambiance of a wood stove-just not at my house. Many years ago I had a buddy just about lose a 2 year old house to a chimney fire, He came home late one night went to the basement and fed the airtight stove for the night then sat down on the basement steps to take off his work boots and watched the stove take off and crack 22' of chimney bricks before he realized what was happening, he called 911 and was lucky enough to have a volunteer fireman 3 houses down the road who showed up with more chimfex flares and helped him get the fire out before any more damage was done. We had just cleaned the chimney 10 days prior, but the continuous use of the furnace in the slow steady burn mode had caused an unaccounted for creosote buildup. I figure that proper insulation and paying for gas heat is as cost efficient as wood heat after you factor in the time and tools required to cut "free wood" or pay for someone to produce it for me.

redidbull

I have been thinking about the new linked smoke detectrors for the small barn I have. When one goes off they all do. I just need to check distance. I currently have an IP camera out there so I can check it from here but I think the detector would be the best. Very happy no one was hurt. Jim

squonk

I fully understand the feelings a lot of people have about burning wood. I love the smell myself. Plus a lot of guys just enjoy cutting and splitting wood. I work with a guy who lives in a cabin way back in the woods with a stove and I cringe on cold nights thinking of him sleeping there with no electricity and I don't know if he even has a cell phone. 

Another note. When we moved into our house 25 yrs ago it came with an old gas/wood burning  stove in the kitchen. I told my wife I didn't want to burn any wood in it until the chimney was inspected by a pro. She didn't listen and when I came home one day it was going. Heated the house nice but I told her no more. I got the chimney looked at and turned out there was a big hole behind the wall where the pipe met the cobble stone chimney and all of the wood around it was scorched. Got lucky too.

953 nut

Glad you had the good fortune to save what you did. As a retired fire fighter I have one word of warning for every one, don't try to put the fire out yourself until AFTER you have called 911. Even a small trash can fire can result in a large loss without prompt fire fighting help.

Redidbull has the right idea, a smoke detector linked to the house may be a good idea, but the smoke put off when lighting a fire would set off most of them, a heat activated detector would be the way to go.  :twocents-twocents:  

• Like 1