stevebo

Horse Stable Build (Mini Version)

stevebo

This stove has a blower on the back but not sure if it works? I think it may be on a thermostat (I hope) because it does not turn on when I plug it in. I bought the rusto high heat satin black quart of paint that I will paint the cement board. I may install a heat shield above the stove at the top of the cement board to deflect the heat from the roof. Not sure as the roof is metal but I nust want to protect the joists from the heat. Fire is something that I do not want to mess around with for sure. BEFORE I run the stove it will be installed right.

Coadster32

You could always just walk into a stove selling place up your way and ask the guys there. I'd be certain to think they'd sell you something on top of giving advice.

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

Steve

Great looking shed and I love the use of the recycled windows.

I'd also like to add my two cents. 

I would suggest cement board on the floor and maybe a layer of concrete pavers over the cement board.  On the back walls and ceiling you may want to consider some metal installed with a space between the cement board and metal.  New or used corrugated or sheet metal would work and help to reflect heat back into the shed.  I'd also suggest you raise the stove about 18 inches off the floor to avoid any fuel fumes.

Great build. Keep the pictures coming.

redidbull

Inspector!  :hilarious:  What inspector?   :ychain:

He said he pulled a permit so the inspector may be stopping by. They do in my hometown. Jim

Terry M

I picked up the stove pipe at a local picker for $15. I just need one more 90, a wall thimble and a few wall mounts.... If anyone out there knows more about the wood stove piping, please chime in!!

Have you thought of raising the stove up on some flat concrete stones,tiles or something to protect the floor?  I remember those stoves can kick out some conductive and radiant heat towards the floor also.   Just a thought.   

stevebo

Good ideas guys. I ended up painting the cement board with rusto high heat brush paint. My thoughts are to add another layer of plywood to stiffen the floor up a bit, then fasten down a 1/4 inch cement board over the plywood. Then I will set some type of bricks or pavers over the board and maybe set in mastic or mortar. The "surround" to hold them in place and finish the edges will be the old barn joist attached into the floor.

I like the idea of the metal wall panel, in fact I have a few projects at work where the installing contractors may have a few panels left over which will be perfect. I may use the diamond plate sheet that I have on top to protect the rafters above. Either way I do it I think it will come out pretty good. Looking forward to seeing this come together for sure !!

papaglide

Great looking mini barn! Very nice work.

bowtiebutler956

Very nice horse stable! :text-datsphatyo:  Your making me want to get to work myself, as I'm in need of more room. 

Matt :flags-texas:

stevebo

Go get er done Matt !!

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Looks good Steve :thumbs:  and for some reason  feels like a blast from the past! :eusa-think:

A guy cant have enough Stable space that's for sure.

~Duke

neil

It is recommended when installing stove pipe, that the first 1m from the stove is  vitreuos enamel pipe & from then on it should be stainlless steel twin insulated  wall pipe .

If you  only use the enamel pipe throughout there is a good chance that the pipe will rot quite quickly as when the pipe cools down after use is creates condensation inside, and this will cause the pipe to rot/rust from inside the flue. plus the added problem is when the condensation runs down inside the flue it also causes the stove to rust . look what happens to steel after it has been exposed to fire , it rusts very quickly .

These recommendations would apply to residential use but as you are just using the stove on occasional use it should be ok  to use the enamel pipe & it should last for a few years .

If it were me i would maybe take a chance & just use the enamel stove pipe & see how far i get out of it, as the twin wall pipe can work out quite expensive .

I guess that you could also go with portable gas heater  or one of those heat blaster  rocket type thingys   to give you instant safe heat .

Love the  horse stable .

stevebo

Thanks Neil. I have one length of 24 inch double wall. I think I may install that on the inside and run the single on the rest. I hope to be able to get back to working on it this weekend.

truckin88

Steve, glad to see you went with that stain it is worth the extra $$. Once it is done being sticky it really gives the wood a natural feel and brings out the grain. After it drys for a few weeks it will have the natural country look you were looking for, but protect the wood, it is a great product I just used it on 250 ft of cedar fence.

stevebo

I agree Will. I finished up the stain today and put a first coat of Ben Moore Bone White on the windows. I hope to have the edge metal back from fabrication tomorrow and get it installed this weekend. Here are a few pics of the color combo...

post-734-0-58667500-1382655863_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-72761600-1382655885_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

papaglide

Looks freakin awesome dude! Great job. I wish that I could do what you are doing! Keep it up.

bitten

Looking good. You should really enjoy that when you are done. Have you looked at your local codes for installing your stove? That might help in your decision.

stevebo

Got a little more done this weekend. Got the smaller doors installed and stained. Went to the flea market this morning and picked up a few goodies including the hand crafted wooden bracket. On Friday I picked up some original old style barn door rollers that will go on the front. I plan on splitting the doors so I needed 4 brackets which I currently have in the e tank. I was able to get the ramp built and backed up the very first horse inside to get a perspective on space. Cousin Timbo will be proud...

post-734-0-80271900-1382919775_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-83489700-1382919795_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-06651100-1382919838_thumb.jpg

bowtiebutler956

Looking really good Steve, and I love the old rustic look! :bow-blue:  :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

neil

Not much left to do now Steve & she`s looking really nice n cozy .

Do intend to have some Electricity  in there ?

stevebo

Neil- I will be running a line out to it so I have lights and maybe even light up my dealer sign that I plan on hanging inside...

Ken B

Lookin good Steve. So, who spilled the stain? :ychain:

dclarke

Lookin good Steve, I really like those windows.

rmaynard

I'm having 6 dead Red Oak trees taken down this week. Three of them are right beside my Wheel Horse "stable". Tree guy is going to use his bucket loader to level the ground next to the shed so I can add a 12' x 14' addition.

Only problem is, the cost to remove the 6 100' tall trees is taking all the money I had saved for the new shed. :handgestures-thumbdown:

stevebo

Bob-

Those tree guys get all the money to take down those big ones for sure. Today I got the rake and head closure metal back from fabrication. I had just enough time to get one side on and the other side started. You cannot see from the pictures but there is what is called a cleat strip or hook strip that goes on first and then bottom edge of the rake metal actually hooks into it to hold it tight. The top is then pinned into the clip with a fastener. I need to finish up the other side then install the head closure detail. The will need to be pinned with fasteners on the front as they did not fab a hook strip on the front rather the back side will be cleated to the panels. It is coming along...

post-734-0-39328500-1383002214_thumb.jpg

shorts

I have a buddy that just went thru putting/keeping a wood stove in his man cave garage, between the building inspector, insurance under righter and fire marshal he had to use 5/8 fire rated drywall around the stove and then a sheet metal heat deflector with an air space on the walls around the UL listed wood stove and class b stainless vent pipe thru the wall with an approved thimble and air space for the hole in the wall.  Probably would have been more cost effective to insulate and run a small gas heater, but nothing feels like a wood fired stove's heat.

I really like the simplicity of the shed and the little details that make it look right.  excellent job!