bigfkd22

Picked up a 522xi and found this ouch...

bigfkd22

So I go pick up a 522xi I get it home and find this. It was dark and very late when I finally get to the guys house and didn't see this. I knew it had a bad center spindle before I bought it. I can fix the spindle although the parts are really high. What about fixing the damage to the roller and front lip of the deck?

Beat it out and ditch the roller or take it to a shop?

Thanks

post-6488-0-28930300-1380963603_thumb.jp

RMCIII

WOW! How ever that happened, it definitely had speed involved. That is bad. Hope the tractor looks a whole lot better.

546cowboy

I'd say port-a-power and some heat might work to push it back out but that never will look real good. As far as the roller bracket, you'll probably have to make a new one. There is a fab shop close to me that could probably do it better than I could though. I think professional help is required there.

Rick_in_CT

Took a pretty good hit, I would check to see if the air bag was deployed!

What shape is the tractor in, what are the hours?

What size is the deck?  I have 522xi's with 60" and 48" decks, I could take a picture of the roller area if you need it.

Rick

RMCIII

Took a pretty good hit, I would check to see if the air bag was deployed!

What shape is the tractor in?

Rick

:laughing-rofl:  :laughing-rolling: Funny Rick.

boovuc

That is bad but it can be fix by any decent welder. Knowing how heavy those decks are, that is amazing how that happened. Makes me wonder if it fell while in storage. Can't imagine him hitting something with it that would do that without "other issues" at the same time.

RMCIII

That is bad but it can be fix by any decent welder. Knowing how heavy those decks are, that is amazing how that happened. Makes me wonder if it fell while in storage. Can't imagine him hitting something with it that would do that without "other issues" at the same time.

Agree. My 48" deck is a tank. I've managed to take out quite a few things that got in the way. the only damage to the deck was some paint was rubbed off. My neighbor managed to clip the side of the garage, at full speed, before I removed the extension on the side where grass exits. Took off a portion of the wood and siding, no damage, not even a scratch to the extension.

RMCIII

You know, now that I look at the deck again, it's not the HD deck. Not sure what that deck is, but that does not appear to be the original deck that came with it. Take a look at this:

I know that decks change and had different styles. The deck on mine has an added steel reinforcement around the bottom. I have seen a couple other decks like it in here. Not many though.

daveoman1966

In your case, the lack of the steel reinforcement bar around the bottom is a bonus... repair will be considerably easier.  I have saved some almost as bad as yours, considering the price to replace the deck, it was worth it. Time consuming, but worth it.  You'll never get it perfect.  Use a small hyd jack to force it back to shape.  When in close-to-shape is attained, acetelyne torch stress area to keep shape after releasing the pressure.  Get some big C clamps, heavy flat stock, hammer, hammer, pry bar...whatever it takes.     

• Like 1

bigfkd22

Thanks for the advice. I have a 520xi that came with a nice deck so I'm ok for now. I think this will go on the back burner till spring. I'll take some pictures when I get it fixed.

doc724

The damaged deck is a probably a 44 inch deck.  They were only made for a couple of years and they did NOT have the reinforced bottoms that are on the 48 inch and larger decks