Sign in to follow this  
Fordiesel69

Sunstrand vs. Eaton 1100

Fordiesel69

Got an old C-121 and really like the feel of and smoothness of the sunstrand.  Also have an 875 and has pulled more weight than rated for and abused it more than it ever should have been.  So what makes this eaton 1100 so good?  It is jerky in comparison.  What are the weak and strong points of both? 

boovuc

IMHO..........to answer your question, the Sunstrand and the Eaton 1100 are neck and neck by comparison. The tie breaker is the Eaton is newer and has parts available for a rebuild. The Sunstrand on the other hand is obsolete and it's harder to find parts for and expertize by the people who serviced them in their day.

Otherwise, I think both are equal to any task. It's a matter of age and availability. By the way, the Eaton 1100 is jerky to some and on some transaxles, it is as smooth as silk. No explanation. Just something I have observed and have read by others who documented their experiences here.

I had a C-120 with a Sundstrand that was a great tractor for a few years for me. (It was not cared for long before I bought it). When the tranny finally got to the point it wouldn't move much after it was warmed up, it was time to move on.

SousaKerry

My personal opinion is that the Eaton 1100 is stronger and will put out more torque, but I must admit I do not have near as much seat time with the Sundstrand.