Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

Front Mounted Trailer Hitch

leeave96

I was talking to my Brother today and he is looking of for a garden tractor for camp duty mowing (read lots of grass) and something he can use around his house to move a utility trailer around and a rather heavy trailer with an engine driven welder on it.  Of course I suggested a 520H with a 48 inch deck or a 60 inch deck and foot control hydro kit.

But for towing around the trailers - I suggested he fab a front mount hitch.  Here are my thoughts:

Make a frame that attaches to the front attach-a-matic hitch.  This could be either a rigid hitch where you let your trailer down on the ball.  Being that you are pushing/pulling from the front of the tractor you are looking straight at the trailer and if you are backing up the trailer, with the hitch on the front end, steering the trailer would be a snap and you could maneuver it into a pretty tight place.

Another thought was a front mount hitch described as above, but with a tab extended down such that you could attach a lifting rod between the hitch and the center bell crank lift under the tractor - like a snow blower lift.  The idea here is to be able to lower the front ball, drive under the trailer hitch, raise the hitch/ball and in doing so, hook up the trailer and lift it's jack off the ground - than take it where ever you needed to go.

The heavy duty front swept forward axle of the 520H and it's 1 inch spindles could easily take the tongue weight.  The gear reduction would make steering with the trailer weight easy and hydro lift would make lifting the trailer hitch a snap.

When finished, unlatch the hitch and set it off.

Anyone ever made such a hitch?  Is this a CRAZY idea?

Thanks!

Bill

ThreeHorses

I've got a front hitch off e-bay that mounts on the front attach-a-matic instead of the mule drive. It works really well on a light to medium weight trailer on the level. If going down a hill backwards the trailer if to heavy will tend to push the front end around. If pulling a heavy trailer up a hill the trailer tends to take weight off the rear axle and the wheels like to spin.

A better solution might be one of Smoreau's heavy hitches that mount on the rear axle. I don't hinl he is building any until winter per his post here on Red Square.

I have two of his hitchs, 1 on a 312-8 and one on a 520H. They accept a regular 2" receiver and work well on a heavy trailer. the weight of the trailer tongue is on the rear tractor wheels for traction.

I see the front hitch that mounts in place of the mule drive is available on e-bay now.

I guess it depends on how heavy his trailer is and the lay of the land where he is moving it with the tractor.

GlenPettit

There's a Wheel Horse person on eBay right now (from Rhode Island, he also attends the Wheel Horse show in PA every June) who makes and has some Front Hitches listed, go to item #141063385315:

Screenshot2013-09-26at85047AM_zpsd712c42[/uR[url=http://s405.photobucket.com/user/GlenJeri/media/Screenshot2013-0926at85929AM_zpse9893197.png.html]Screenshot2013-09-26at85929AM_zpse989319L]

Not as heavy duty as Scott Moreau's rear hitch, but the only one for the front that I've see for sale.

Edited by GlenPettit

leeave96

WOW - those are some nice looking front hitches!!!!!!!!