Sign in to follow this  
wheelhorsearound

1054 k241 rebuild kits?

wheelhorsearound

Had my 1054 running today, sort of.  Seems like I may have a compression issue.  Anyone have any recommendations for engine rebuild kits for a k241?  They seem to vary between 80-120 dollars.  Seems like a decent investment to me, just wanted some advice before jumping in.

Thanks.

• Like 1

pacer

I recently used one of the ebay kits - hundred-ish$ - refurbing a 1054. I couldnt run my engine, but the compression was weak and I decided on doing a kit. The contents of the kit looked quite good, the piston/rings/rod looked like any other I have bought and the gaskets were well cut and were very nice (I didnt get the valve kit) I was a bit apprehensive buying something like that but the engine ran great from initial start up, no hint of smoking or odd noises. I think Ive only got a couple hours on it so far --- but good so far.

Edited by pacer
  • Like 1

Fordiesel69

Quality and metalurgy is fine.  Its the fitment and specs that can be off.  That is why you do the machine work AFTER you recieve the parts. 

wheelhorsearound

Good to know.  I figured as much, but just wanted to be on the safe side.  My 1054 "runs" but would love to have it done right.  Thanks guys.

• Like 1

953 nut

I have done a couple of K-241s with the Ebay seler kits and have had good results. Go for it!

:USA: 

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

Just recently I found the aftermarket 0.10 over K301 piston to be 0.002" smaller than the OEM.  So that meant communicating this to the person boring the cylinder. 

With kohler K series, I am not finding too many virgins left.  All the tractors I aquire have already gone to 0.10 and .020.  Bummer. 

I guess it is onto magnums then, as the mahle pistons do wear the cylnders a lot less.

wheelhorsearound

Good advice my good fellows.  Thanks again.