Sign in to follow this  
squonk

Calling the Experts. Snowblower Noise

squonk

My tall Chute blower was banging and clanging last year. I decided to tear into it and found the chain, idler sprockets and jack shaft brgs. all shot. I replaced everything from Napa and TSC. Got it running today and it has a loud whirring noise, When it was apart the auger spun very smooth and quiet, with it all together, I can turn it by hand and everything feels nice and smooth and quiet with nothing is hitting anything. The sprockets were slightly smaller than stock and the bearing surface was wider. I had to alter the chain length and lined up the sprockets best I could by eye. All together it looks good. I have a 1/2" deflection in the chain for slack and the adjustment is at it's mid point. I never heard this blower run when it was new. I have no idea how loud it's supposed to be. I had a Simplicity blower on a 210-H and you couldn't hear it turning. I'm thinking I need to loosen the chain some. Her's a video of it running.

th_IMG_0417_zpscab25734.jpg

WH nut

It doesn't sound to bad to  me, but then again I have never heard a new one.

Edited by WH nut

timo4352

I'd say mine sounds about the same as yours - best as one can tell from a video.

Mine doesn't sound like it's rattling apart or anything - no banging or bad sounds - just a loud whirring sound but somewhat mettalic (if that makes sense) .  Dry bearings didn't help any, and it quieted down some after I greased them. I do think it spins way faster than any snowblower I've ever seen before. Maybe this is the way they are supposed to sound? I have nothing else to compare it to either.

dbartlett1958

Mike,

My Single Stage is fairly loud as well, even with new chain and tight bearings. These things really spin, so I think it is the nature of the beast.

squonk

Well thanks guys. I feel better about the noise now.

stevasaurus

I think it sounds OK Mike...a chain, going around at that speed, is going to make some noise, and that is what it sounds like.  If it is aligned right you should be OK.  She may quiet down a little when you feed it some snow...I think it just sounds hungry. :eusa-think:   I sound the same way when it is time to eat. :)

BTW...Nice Pictures!!

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

squonk

I think it sounds OK Mike...a chain, going around at that speed, is going to make some noise, and that is what it sounds like.  If it is aligned right you should be OK.  She may quiet down a little when you feed it some snow...I think it just sounds hungry. :eusa-think:   I sound the same way when it is time to eat. :)

BTW...Nice Pictures!!

you whine? I thought Dino's roared!