huggybear

Transaxle identification

huggybear

Hello, I have a transaxle that I need help identifying, I bought this from a local scrap yard, I seen it and couldn't leave it. 

Info.

Uni-drive Pat. No. 2988185

High - Low shifter

1,2,3 and reverse

I have a use in mind for it but I am sure I will have to tear down and replace seals and bearings as i have noticed the seals leaking.

If anyone has infomation about this transaxle ( model number so I can find out replacement parts numbers ) or info on what WheelHorse it could  

have came off of, it will be greatly appreciated.

post-11660-0-11789800-1379453144_thumb.j

post-11660-0-12330800-1379453280_thumb.j

post-11660-0-68289700-1379453357_thumb.j

post-11660-0-41076300-1379453391_thumb.j

Duff

Hello, I have a transaxle that I need help identifying, I bought this from a local scrap yard, I seen it and couldn't leave it. 

Info.

Uni-drive Pat. No. 2988185

High - Low shifter

1,2,3 and reverse

I have a use in mind for it but I am sure I will have to tear down and replace seals and bearings as i have noticed the seals leaking.

If anyone has infomation about this transaxle ( model number so I can find out replacement parts numbers ) or info on what WheelHorse it could  

have came off of, it will be greatly appreciated.

Hi, huggybear, and :WRS: ! Lots of useful info to be had here!

On a first look. that appears to be the tranny used in a whole range of Wheel Horse tractors and fortunately the parts are quite interchangeable. Before you do anything, do the parts turn freely? Did you try to drain any oil out of it, and if so what color was the fluid and/or was there any water mixed in? Actually, since its's not realy a difficult job I might recommend splitting the tranny case and looking things over to see just what, if anything, may be torn up inside. There are some excellent threads here on how to tear down and rebuild these trannies, and because of their ruggedness it's often a very good investment. Let us know what you find! 

Duff :thumbs:

Edited by Duff

Ed Kennell

:eusa-think:  :eusa-think:  WH made a lot of 8 speeds    5073,5086,5091,103916.

It looks like the 103916 that is in my 1978 C-101

Ed Kennell

I see some casting #'s on the drive (right side) on your pic.  These #'s on my 103916  are   8163  9010  no 1.    On the brake side they are 7883 941.

stevasaurus

Definitely an 8 speed (vise a 6 speed)...the brake drum is on the cluster gear shaft.  The casting numbers really will not tell you much (if anything) about the transmission.  What will help to tell what it really is you have there is inside the differential...ie, how many pinion gears, what the axle gears look like, etc.  Measure the axle diameter...it is either 1" or 1 1/8"...that will eliminate a couple of transmissions.  As was stated above, your transmission will fit most (if not all) of the 8 speed Wheel Horse tractors from 1970 and up. :)

W/H JUNKY

I have the same Pat # on my 1978 C-81. and it has 11/8inch shaft. mine has a leaking seal on the left side. and was woundering how hard and how expensive it would be to split the case and replace the seals and bearings. The guy I bought this tractor from let the hub slip into the rear end and it filed the end of the case and it is leaking now.

rmaynard

Looks like there is the remnants of a dipstick tube showing on the right rear corner. That is also a clue.

stevasaurus

The 4 seals you need will run around $12 from Motion Industries.  The gasket between the trans halves is around $6 from TORO..  The needle bearings run from $4 to $7 apiece from Motion Industries.  Figure around $70 to 80 total.  This figure does not include replacing the #1533 ball bearings, or replacing any gears or transmission halves. (any of this would be used parts from members on Red Square)  :)   The job is not hard to do and can be done with a few basic tools and punches. How to threads and videos exist here on the site.  Let us know if you have any questions. :)

• Like 1

jrc0528

Ok, I must ask, what is the difference between an 8 speed and a 6 speed?  Don't they all have 1-2-3-R Hi & Lo?

• Like 1

racinfool40

The only difference between the 6-8 speed tranny's is were the brake hub mounts. the 6-speed used mainly on the 1968 thru I think 71-72 raiders. the brake hub is closer to the axle tube and the 8-speed in mounted on the cluster gear shaft...6-speed trans were mainly the 10-pinion differential and 1-1/8th axles. The 8-speed were 4-pinion with 1"axles and 8-pinion differentials with 1-1/8th axles...If you have the Mechanical trans manual look thru it and it will show everything you need to know.

Mike.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

When more became better they started to count reverse as 2 speeds so the 6-speed name was changed to 8-speed.

There was also 8-speed transmissions with 1" axles and 4 pinions.

Garry

danweikert21

Hi I have a raider 10 1972 model 1-0301 with a six speed. Would that be a 8 pinion or a 4

pfrederi
11 minutes ago, danweikert21 said:

Hi I have a raider 10 1972 model 1-0301 with a six speed. Would that be a 8 pinion or a 4

Original tranny was 5086  8 spd 4 pinion 1" axle

• Excellent 2

pfrederi

8 and 10 hp Raiders had eh 4 pinion 1" axle

12 and 14 hp raiders had the 10 pinion LTD Slip with 1-1/8"