Sign in to follow this  
shlitzcan

K 181 Fuel pump, carb

shlitzcan

So I broke my fuel pump (aftermarket) and ordered a new one.  Since I did so I figured I would put a new kit in the carb.  The one i received was basic that replaced the old needle under the float and a gasket.  I received the new fuel pump which is now all plastic with a metal arm??  and I have not had this 8 horse ever run like this. EVER> biggest issue is its pumping fuel right out the front of the carb.  Can't get it to stop.  I have taken the thing off several times to see what is going on and it appears that the float and needle are functioning properly when the carb is off.  The float is not leaking and is dry inside, and it starts right up every time,  but then it just suffocates with fuel.  Also,  I can't get the bowl to seal for the LIFE OF ME!!!!  I have owned this horse for quite a few years,  High compression rebuild port polish and has balls the size of Texas.   But not so much right now.  

'

Help!!        (i'm having withdrawls from driving this thing)

post-11588-0-40707600-1379291028_thumb.j

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Sounds like maybe the float is out of adjustment. 

953 nut

:WRS:    You may have put the float in upside down. Don't ask me how I would know this, please! :text-lol: 

:USA: 

Edited by 953 nut

shlitzcan

lol.  The float sets level at close and the needle points up.... :deadhorse:

daveoman1966

As to getting the bowl to seal...  Maybe it isn't the seal(s).  

I had a similar problem, but it wasn't either seal.  Come to find out, there was a pin-hole in the bottom of the bowl.  I only discovered this when I ...for the last time... tried to seal it and held it up to a light.... SUPRISE.  The tiniest of all pin holes shining thru...

Had to get another bowl which solved the problem.

MalMac

I had the same problem as daveoman1966 on a 753. Come to find extremely tiny pin holes and spider cracks under the bolt that attached the bowl. Only way to see them was to hold the bowl up to a light in a dark room.

sorekiwi

The gasket at the top of the bowl should be above the fuel level, it really doesn't have to seal that well.

Either the needle and seat aren't shutting off the fuel supply, or the float level is set too high, or the vent for the bowl is blocked.

Edited by sorekiwi
  • Like 1

shlitzcan

Thank you sorekiwi,  the vent for the bowl, is that on the other side of the main fuel pin? 

qd-16

I just experienced this same problem with a carter N carb.  Was driving me nuts until I discovered the atmospheric vent was blocked..Its a vent hole in the top of the carb. body.....remove the float and you will be able to see it.  Good luck!

sorekiwi

Yep, ^^^^^^^^ what he said.

shlitzcan

Ok guys i have looked into all suggested. Except for the vent. Where and what is the vent? Any pics? Im beyond frustrated at this point...

sorekiwi

The red tube shows both ends of the vent passage:

IMG_4405_zps58ac8f18.jpg

IMG_4406_zps865acbf5.jpg