Sign in to follow this  
Patrick Reese

Greasing spindles on 12 Automatic Deck

Patrick Reese

Just wondering before I get down and start taking things apart how to grease the spindles on my 12 automatic deck. I don't see any grease zircs up top anywhere like my other lawn mowers.. it's a little noisy so I'd like to get in there and grease it up.

gwest_ca

Some spindle assemblies back then had seal bearings so were non-greaseable. You may find out using these charts

Garry

Patrick Reese

I was sort of afraid someone was going to say that!.. even in 73? .. I'll check it out and thanks for the chart. In the event they get too noisy, what are the options? Replacement with newer spindles with zircs?

Pat

daveoman1966

No doubt, you have the older 'Double-D' spindle assy and they are not geaseable...unless.. 

If the housings are not corroded to badly, it is worth the time and effort to tap in a grease zerk.  You'll need to take it all apart to do this though, or some metal cuttings will get to the bearings.  

If the housings are corroded or broken, or the DD fittings are sloppy on either end, you'd make a good choice to upgrade to the spindles with round shafts.  Of course, in doing that, you'd need to get different blades and drive pulleys as well.  In making that decision, consider the overall condition of the deck too. 

As I have done with other members, I can provide you with parts either for the repair of your DD spindle, or to replace as needed.

For further info on this topic, contace me via PM or send me an email to:  daveoman@windstream.net

pacer

What Dave is describing is the answer ---

My D-180 has that type spindle with the Torrington (needle) bearing at the blade end and a a common sealed roller bearing at the belt end (I cant recall the #) and there was no means to get grease to the spindle.

Toward the end of first 2-3 seasons of cutting after I got the tractor, I noticed a rumble coming from the deck and would find the needle bearings bad (the roller bearings were OK) On the 3rd replacement I'm thinking there ought to be a way to lube those needles!! So before I installed the 3 new ones I took the Dremel tool with one of those thin cut-off wheels and made a hairline cut on the side of the needle housing and made a corresponding threaded hole for a zerk (Lower than the one in Daves pic)  And yes, I was a little bit worried about getting metal in the needles from slitting the side, but I figured It couldnt be any worse than only getting one season out of one. Well. from then on I faithfully put a shot of grease in those 3 zerks a couple times a season and -- that was 20 odd years ago and this summer I pulled the deck for inspection and those needles appeared to be fine, I changed them anyway, again putting a little slit in the side to allow grease. Its worth the effort!!

Patrick Reese

Well the worst happened. The center spindle seized and burnt up the belt. These are the old D shaft type with no grease fittings. Also the center pulley has wear and was grinding.. so it's time to address this issue with an update!.. I think I'll take Dave up on the parts to upgrade to newer greasable spindles. Good thing is a Wheelhorse deck comes off so easy!