dclarke

I picked this up a couple of weeks ago without hearing it run. The wires on the ign. switch were melted together and it wouldn't start so I bought it on the gal's word that it ran.  I ordered a new switch and today I fixed the wires and installed the switch. She fired right up, it runs good and doesn't smoke. The muffler was shot but I had one on the shelf, think I'm gonna have to find the correct one though. This setup has to go. I mowed with it a little and was surprised how quiet the deck is. I need to check into the adjustment on the forward control lever, it doesn't want to stay on a steady pace when going forward but other than that it seems to be a decent tractor.

027_zps73f5f06e.jpg

028_zps16cde618.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Nice lookin' new  :wh: you picked up Denny.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

dclarke

Nice lookin' new  :wh: you picked up Denny.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

I keep tellin myself that I just got this to mow with and I'm not going to do anything to it other than what it needs to make it a decent worker. We'll see how long that lasts. :grin:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

There in lies the challenge...to just...leave it be.    :popcorn: 

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Very nice looking C.

Jake Kuhn

Guessing 14 days until the tear down. :ychain:  Either way..it looks like a very nice tractor denny!

• Like 1

rwilson

Its in real nice shape. I would use it and if it breaks down fix the problem and keep using it.

welderman85

Great looking buy

Terry M

Nice worker Denny!   Looks like it will do the job :handgestures-thumbupright: ...

dclarke

Well, I've had this for a couple of months. Guess it's about time to take it apart. It needs a new wiring harness and I want this to be dependable (and I need a winter project) so I'm going to see what I can find that needs repaired or replaced. This will be my main mowing tractor. Right now I don't plan on doing any body work or painting. I also plan on going through the mower deck before spring.

002_zps629f1702.jpg

The P.O. made a couple of spacers for the seat and the seat adjuster needs some attention.
035_zps58baa6c5.jpg

Irv

Nice tractor! I have a '79 that was a rustbucket when I got it at an auction but mechanically fine. Had the sheet metal sand blasted and gave it a paint job.

dclarke

As it sits now, if it's not too cold tomorrow I'll pressure wash it. So far, I haven't found a whole lot wrong with it. Looks like I may have a seal leaking somewhere on the tranny. It would leave a spot on the floor over a couple of days. 

064_zpsa3cc56b2.jpg

062_zps85dbc940.jpg

Not sure why this piece of the hood stand would be customized like it is.
065_zpsff5d27dc.jpg

kudzu3

While you got it apart, why not make it new? :eusa-think:

Martin

i understand your reluctance to repaint denny....

if you clean it up and just fix all the bad stuff will you be happy with it as is without a new coat of paint?

if the answer is yes, then just do the minor stuff. i know you would want to do a nice job on it if you did repaint, then you wouldn't want to really 'use' it. 

for me having a few around that work good without looking 'really nice' is one way to really enjoy them as workers.

• Like 1

dclarke

While you got it apart, why not make it new? :eusa-think:

Time and money is the short answer. This tractor runs great, doesn't smoke or use oil so I hate to tear into the engine. I recently gave my mowing tractor to one of my Daughters so I'm wanting to replace that with this. I also have a short list of other projects that I want to get to. Right now I just need this thing to work. With that said, it's pretty hard for me not to start putting things in the blasting cabinet and cleaning them up.

dclarke

I washed this off this morning (man, was it cold) now I'm hoping it'll drip a little oil so I can find out where the leak is. I don't know anything about these Sundstrand units so I'm hesitant to dig into it too far until I learn more about them. I'd like to replace the axle seals and take a look inside the rear end. Can I remove the hydro unit from the rear end as one assembly? Are there any seals that should be replaced or is there any reason to take the hydro unit apart while I've got it tore down this far? It seemed to be working fine....

031_zps1b163af5.jpg

The brake lining is completely gone from the brake band

029_zps651c88bd.jpg

What's the purpose of the tube that runs under the hydro unit?
006_zps5c403e1f.jpg

This tractor doesn't have an ammeter on it but I think it did at one time, I think these wires went to it. someone hooked them together, this might be the reason the wires were melted at the ign. switch when I got it.
010_zps4f7b8a2e.jpg

Lagersolut

The " tube "  under the Hydro unit is for the cable that picks up your plow hitch or tiller .

I put mine back to original restoring it , here's the PDF  links for the parts lists for my C-101 '79 compliments of Gary .

That '78 I'm thinking is the same .

Edited by Golds-Red