Ken B

Todays haul....not a tractor and not a boat....

AMC RULES

Our cat doesn't know I'm alive...   :scared-eek: 

except when I'm eating my dinner, then we're best buds.    :handgestures-thumbsup:  

post-3498-0-32272900-1379326812_thumb.jp

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

CRE1992

The one good thing about living up on this mountain in the woods is that I get very little traffic going by my house being that it is a private neighborhood. Trip to the vet is planned for this week and last night she got introduced to the litter box....

I think a more suiting description of your neighborhood would be a needle in a hay stack! lol. Good luck with the furry little critter. I am a dog person myself but I do find cats to be pretty amusing and could possibly have one, one day. There was a ferral cat who gave birth in my barn. I found the kittens a couple days later. We removed them and raised them ourselves bottle feeding them. After they were old enough we found home for all 4 of them. There was one that we really liked and wanted to keep her, but with having a dog that is anti cat social, a cat, and a couple parrots doesn't work to well..

Ken B

Today I decided to introduce Kia the cat to Emma the Beagle dog. Emma came from a rescue home and the lady we got her from told us Emma got along better with the cats she had than the other dogs at her house. Kia has been willing to come in the house since yesterday and today she was at the front door so I let her in. I first made sure Emma was in her crate so she wouldn't instantly freak the cat out. I gave Emma a rawhide chewey to keep her busy for awhile while Kia checked things out. After about 5 minutes Kia hopped on the back of the couch, looked out the window for a few minutes and then took a quick cat nap. When Emma was done with her chewey I let her out of her crate with my son holding her back while I held the cat. Kia hissed a few times at Emma and that was about it. They both kept their distance from each other while keeping an eye on each other for the next five minutes. I decided that was enough introductions for one day...

There is a Tom cat that has been sneeking around my place since Kia arrived on Friday, I think he has only one thing on his mind. He looks like trouble, I've chased him off a few times. Today when I got home I noticed a little bite type mark on Kia's back and I bet he did it. Once Kia and Emma get used to each other I think Kia will have a good pal in Emma. That dog makes so much racket with all of her hooting and howling when an animal (or person) comes on my property that she doesn't like. You guys that have Beagles know what I'm talking about with all the racket they make.  

squonk

I had my dogs for 5 years and we had 2 other cats. When the Weather Cat Odie died we got the 2 kittens on special,Tobar and Charlie

The cats are so different. Charlie is about 25 lbs. and A big scaredy cat

While Tobie is about 8 lbs. and is the tough guy. I'll be wrestling withy lab Morgan and he'll jump right into the pile. Both cats will sleep in my beagle's pen when they get the chance

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Did you find out if it's prego or not?  Or was it just a stomach full of mice? 

Ken B

I haven't found out yet, the soonest appontment we can get her in is next Weds...I had the cat in the house for a few hrs today observing her activities while I watched the boob tube. We are going to have to seriously de-cat the house before she is allowed in the house while we are gone. Dog and or cat treats on top of the fridge? nope. Banana's or fruit on the counter top? nope. Fish food left out next to the fish tank? nope. Might even have to do something with the fish in the tank as she was really into watching them! I thought the dog was sneaky but the cat is sneaky x10! She really hasn't used her little box much. She has only peed in it. Any tricks to getting her to use it on a regular basis? I don't want her to relieve herself anywhere but the little box when she is let into the house on a full time basis. Until that vet check up she will still be living in the shed, shoot, the shed is nice enough I'd live in it if I had to so i don't feel awful about that. At night I do lock the shed so she can't get into trouble at night but during the day I leave a side window open so she can get in and out. When I get home first thing I do is take a peek in the shed and there she is napping in her cat house.....

• Like 1

953 nut

:help:    OK, it is Wednesday; how did Kia's visit to the Vet go?  You are holding out on us and inquiring minds want to know, how is she doing? :text-lol: 

:USA: 

Ken B

Kia went to the vet yesterday, she got all of her shots and she is now fixed. No kitties coming from this girl! Right now she isn't too happy as to be expected and she is keeping to herself hidden under my dresser.. Emma seems to know Kia is in a little pain and has totally kept her distance.

I let Kia inside the house 4 days ago and she hasn't wanted to go outside since then. Kia and Emma are adjusting to each other better than I expected, but there was ONE incident. Emma the Beagle was sitting at the end of the couch while I was laying on it watching T.V. Into the room walked Kia and Emma pounced on her, hooting and howling as a beagle does but no biting. Just a jealousy type thing I think. Emma got a good scolding for it and hasn't done it since, I have also been keeping a closer eye on her. Kia could have a least given Emma a good scratchin but she didn't. Kia doesn't pay too much attention to anyone but me, now my son wants his own cat!

rydogg

I wouldn't worry too much about the litter box use our indoor/outdoor cat hasn't used the litter box since spring started he prefers to go outside to relieve himself unless there is snow on the ground than he uses the box, he is fixed so I don't need to worry about him marking he does have all his claws but has adopted one doorway as his scratching post so I let him get away with it since he leaves the furniture alone.  We have 3 dogs and 1 cat, we raised our golden retriever from a pup but the rest were adopted as adults I prefer adults so you don't need to go through the puppy/juvenile stages and taking in a stray or adopting an unwanted pet and giving it the life it deserves is a great feeling.  Here is our little crew Peaches (golden retriever), Quincy (brittany spaniel), Oscar "the grouch" (mini dachshund) and Jake (the fat cat). 

post-2337-0-24202700-1380209315_thumb.jp

post-2337-0-85283500-1380209341_thumb.jp

post-2337-0-77450900-1380209406_thumb.jp

Edited by rydogg

CRE1992

Hey Ken, hows the cat doing?

Ken B

The cat has settled in quite nicely. I tried taking her outside with me a few weeks ago, she wanted NOTHING to do with it. She seemed paranoid to be outside, even with me right there. The first place she went was up the steps to the front door. I think she would much rather watch the action outside from her perch at the window rather than being in the middle of the "outside action" I think this spring I will try again to see if she wants to spend time outside. I won't force it though as she seems to really like being inside and she isn't getting into any trouble thru boredom etc. She and the Beagle get along great, they are both very much alike. The main thing on both of their minds at all times is FOOD. They both love being close to the wood stove and lie right next to each other in front of it.

A few weeks ago she showed me that she is the KING of Super Fly. I had a moth in the living room one night that I was trying to catch for ten minutes. I couldn't catch the damn thing! With all the ruckus I made I woke the cat up from her sleep on the top back side of the couch. She realized quickly what I was trying to do and she sat up on the couch. Two seconds later she did a Super Fly Jimmy Snuka thru the air, she nearly hit her head on the ceiling that is how high she was. Mid air she swatted her front paw and nailed that moth first try. She then ate it! Me and the wife couldn't stop laughing! Moths must have once been on the menu when she was a stray. I have a little stick with a string tied to it with a fabric mouse on the end of it that I play with her every night. She loves this game and she is pretty aggressive while playing. The dog knows to stay clear while the crazy azz cat is playing. I don't know who has more fun at this game of Cat and Mouse, me or the cat?

I think the only thing she does that bothers me is that sometimes late at night she does what I call "yodeling" real loud out in the living room. It wakes us all up in a hurry. She meow's so long and loud it almost sounds more like she is saying Heeeeeeelllllllloooooooooo more than she is saying meow. Whats up with that cat guys?

Edited by Ken B

AMC RULES

Had her fixed yet Ken?

rmaynard

Ken, Bravo for rescuing the cat. We currently have 3. All of them are 14 years old. They are 100% indoor cats. We used to have cats that were indoor/outdoor, and we always had to worry about fleas, other animals, chipmunks being brought into the house, feline leukemia (caught from other cats), distemper, and rabies. The vet bills were horrendous for vaccinations and booster shots. So now our indoor cats only go to the vet for check-ups. We have a screened in deck and the cats can come and go onto the deck through a cat door any time they want. Makes them feel like they are outdoors.

Looking at the picture of your cat, I can see why you had a hard time finding her in the dark. 

grnlark

As a kid we had a cat that never wanted to stay inside. He was outside all 20 years of his life. He was a big boy too. He could hold his own. He had more chunks missing from his ears as a result of fights and I cant remember how many times he got bitten in the head from something and had to have a drain put in for like a week or so. My father always got stuck taking care of that cat - and he hated the cat. The cat would bring home dead animals all the time and drop them at the front door. My mother would freak. And I'm talking big stuff - racoons, squirels, woodchucks. He was a maniac. I'll never forget the day he came in the house to eat and my mother was in the kitchen cooking when the cat started hacking something up. Right there in his food bowl was a totally intact and untouched bird head. LOL!

We have two indoor cats now. They just sit around, eat and chill. Niether have ever set foot outside of the house.

Edited by grnlark

VinsRJ

Matt... don't forget how "Squeekie" would open and closed the screan door to let us know he wanted to come in....

dcrage

"I think the only thing she does that bothers me is that sometimes late at night she does what I call "yodeling" real loud out in the living room. It wakes us all up in a hurry. She meow's so long and loud it almost sounds more like she is saying Heeeeeeelllllllloooooooooo more than she is saying meow. Whats up with that cat guys"

Cats make noises like this when they are getting ready to eject a hairball -- Not saying that is what is happening with yours but it was a common topic of conversation (cats 'talking' right before they throw up a hairball) I would have with fellow cat owners back when we had cats

47JDG

I think the only thing she does that bothers me is that sometimes late at night she does what I call "yodeling" real loud out in the living room. It wakes us all up in a hurry. She meow's so long and loud it almost sounds more like she is saying Heeeeeeelllllllloooooooooo more than she is saying meow. Whats up with that cat guys?

If she hasn't been fixed then she is wanting to be bred. Female cats do that when they are in heat, or ready to be bred. She is calling out for male cats. There is a mobile clinic in my area that travels around to different cities and sets up at different vet locations once a week. They do spay and neutering for a fraction of what it normally cost. I have had a couple of cats neutered for $20 thru them. Maybe there is something like that in your area. The one in my area is called "The Spay and Neuter Express".

squonk

I had a cat that used to play the piano at 2 A.M.  :scared-eek:  :)

varosd

Current inventory

Dogs:1 (Corgi)

Cats:2

We had to take down the "Welcome animals, Suckers live here" sign!!!   :rolleyes:

securedownload.jpg

Edited by varosd

Stormin

Cats! I'm NOT anti cat, had them myself, but the cat population round here is ridiculous. One behind us, eight, yes eight, across the way. Two at the nearby farm, goodness knows how many at the next farm and the farm half a mile away is over run with them. Neither of the last two farms will have them doctored, so feral cats abound. Ducklings and Moorhen chicks on the two village ponds don't stand a chance. I've had to fit doors to my dogs kennels to keep cats out at night. The dogs sleep indoors and the kennels started to reek of cats. So did the dogs.

I now go to hide. :hide:

Ken B

Cats! I'm NOT anti cat, had them myself, but the cat population round here is ridiculous. One behind us, eight, yes eight, across the way. Two at the nearby farm, goodness knows how many at the next farm and the farm half a mile away is over run with them. Neither of the last two farms will have them doctored, so feral cats abound. Ducklings and Moorhen chicks on the two village ponds don't stand a chance. I've had to fit doors to my dogs kennels to keep cats out at night. The dogs sleep indoors and the kennels started to reek of cats. So did the dogs.

I now go to hide. :hide:

I've read a few books on Cats and each book I've read mentioned that in your neck of the woods there is a serious problem with the cat population, most of them being feral....

Ken B

If she hasn't been fixed then she is wanting to be bred. Female cats do that when they are in heat, or ready to be bred. She is calling out for male cats. There is a mobile clinic in my area that travels around to different cities and sets up at different vet locations once a week. They do spay and neutering for a fraction of what it normally cost. I have had a couple of cats neutered for $20 thru them. Maybe there is something like that in your area. The one in my area is called "The Spay and Neuter Express".

She is fixed, that is one of the first things I did once I brought her home..

47JDG

She is fixed, that is one of the first things I did once I brought her home..

In that case she probably sees another cat outside of the window, or knows there is one out there. When they make noises like that its usually because of another cat in the area. Usually its to be bred, but can also just be because she senses another and is telling it to get lost.