Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

"Watson, come in here!"

T-Mo

I haven't had much time to mess with the 753 this week. I wanted to fix the steering, but with me, staying focus on one thing gets hard at times. So today my brother-in-law was over and so we decided to see if we could get the 753 running.

First we hooked up jumper cables, pour some gas into the carb and attempt to start it. It cranked but it was a no go. We pull the spark plug and check for spark - no spark. We decided to check the points but then I remember a curious red wire coming from the dash so we hooked that to the positive jumper cable. We now have spark. But still wouldn't start. A little gas into the cylinder and she starts up.

We check the fuel lines and the main one from the tank to the pump is pretty bad. The o-ring into the carb from the pump is non-existent. So we run a direct line into the carb and it still would only run as long as gas is pour into the carb.

So we take the carb off and give it a quick cleaning. Hooked the fuel lines back up after cutting off a bad end and this time it starts. And it runs. A little tweaking on the adjustment screws and it now idles. I put it into gear and all the gears seem to work. We let run for about 10 minutes but since the o-ring to the carb was shot, it was leaking pretty bad. So I shut it down.

Now I guess I need to pick up some fuel lines, check to see exactly where that wire goes, and FIX the steering. And, oh yeah, front tires. And I need a carb gasket. The one from my K321 rebuild is too big.

BTW, a bearing on one to the pulleys on the mule drive (What, did he just say "Mule Drive") is bad. And the bearings in the deck are also shot, but I don't know if it will stay on or not. But I'll see when the time comes.

Teddy da Bear

Congradulations on your accomplishment! :banghead:

Kelly

Glad to hear it runs, you sound like me to many projects and never enough time for any one.

Sparky

Good to hear you got it runnin T-Mo. Now how about a pic of you cruisin around on it with a big ol' smile :banghead: .

Mike.......

T-Mo

Sparky,

I don't want to scare anyone with picture of me driving it around. Besides without steering and front tires, a cruise will have to wait a tad longer.

BTW, the engine sounds real nice, no noise and no smoke. I probably throw some old trailer tires on it (I have one already) and then get the steering fix and then drive it around. I need a fuel line as this one is shot and I need the replace the line between the pump and carb also.

But I'm satisfied with the day's progress - it's always good to hear one running. :banghead:

BPjunk

Terry,

That "courious red wire" starts at the battery and goes to the ignition switch then to the positive on the coil.

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

T-Mo

Bill,

Yeah I was about 99% sure that was for the ignition. I have the wiring diagram now so I was going to check to be sure, but you confirmed what I believe.

Too bad Eldon wasn't so far away - he could practice using some round paint on this one. :banghead:

T-Mo

Steering is fixed..... :banghead:

HorseFixer

Good Job! :banghead:

Duke