Hodge71

416 Workers Restoration Father/Son project

Hodge71

So I tried to sell it 3 times....completely frustrated that people are way too big of a cheaptskates and wont pay $400 bucks for a great running tractor so Jeb and I turned it into a Father/Son project. We started it last week with some priming and today we tore the wheels off her, hood and pans off covered it in "Purple Power" and Jeb pressure washed it from top to bottom. Heres where we are now. Guessing  priming and painting the wheels will be the first order of business as he is looking for some results. Hers some pics of before and after...I cant believ how clean it is once all the dust and dirt were blasted off of it.

I'll add more once the wheels are masked and primed. 

post-1339-0-82077000-1378229359_thumb.jppost-1339-0-59227500-1378229379_thumb.jppost-1339-0-87365300-1378229395_thumb.jppost-1339-0-56052800-1378229411_thumb.jppost-1339-0-88494900-1378229431_thumb.jppost-1339-0-54462400-1378229454_thumb.jppost-1339-0-72595600-1378229474_thumb.jp

Edited by hodge71
  • Like 1

js5020

Great start!  Looking forward to see your progress.

Pettybilt

I payed 350 for a 416-8 not running, to me $400 was a good deal. Looks every bit as good mine. Should make a good project. 

AMC RULES

Great progress so far.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

KC9KAS

Keep us posted with your progress. Thanks for the photos.

Hodge71

post-1339-0-96409000-1378259191_thumb.jppost-1339-0-10335700-1378259208_thumb.jppost-1339-0-03759800-1378259226_thumb.jppost-1339-0-36965700-1378259240_thumb.jppost-1339-0-05828300-1378259257_thumb.jp

Some more done this afternoon. I love seeing the wonder in Jebs eyes as each part comes off and gets cleaned. He really has drive too so I dont thinkits going to take too long to get this done. We got one rear wheel masked off sanded, primed, and then painted with Rustoleum "Hammered Silver". It looks great but it got dark too soon to get to the other one. Tomorrow morning I'm sure he will be up bright and early to start again. Heres the after pics of it after Jeb's pressure washing job. I'm really happy with the Purple power cleaner. For a Tractor Supply generic I personally think it cleans better that big name cleaners. There isnt a drop of oil or grease anywhere on it now. Gonna be easy to prime and paint. 

Edited by hodge71

welderman85

Great work

Hodge71

Crazy weather lately and tons of school work has impeded progress on this project a bit but We got the wheels sanded primed and repainted and yesterday got the fender pan cleaned and primed. Then the humidity kicked up and I wont paint in anything above 60% humidity. It wreaks havoc with spray bombing. So heres some pics.

post-1339-0-49278300-1379020190_thumb.jppost-1339-0-49718200-1379020283_thumb.jppost-1339-0-47916400-1379020678_thumb.jppost-1339-0-39110900-1379020690_thumb.jppost-1339-0-14318000-1379020706_thumb.jp

Tomorrow I hope to do some wet sanding on the fenders and get a couple more coats of filler primer and maybe get some color on them. Temps in the 60s with 30% humidity is perfect painting weather

953 nut

post-1339-0-49278300-1379020190.jpg

Wish my trees had branches like that!   :text-lol: 

Love to see father and son projects coming togather, lots of learning and lots of bonding. Keep up the good work. :text-goodpost:                         :text-coolphotos: 

:USA: 

• Thanks 1

varosd

looks great Jeff    better pull them in before the rain hits!!

Dieselcowboy

Really looks like a clean little tractor once the sheet metal was removed and washed.

Hodge71

post-1339-0-49278300-1379020190.jpg

Wish my trees had branches like that!   :text-lol: 

Love to see father and son projects coming togather, lots of learning and lots of bonding. Keep up the good work. :text-goodpost:                         :text-coolphotos: 

:USA: 

Thanks 953. That was made by me when my son was born almost 8 years ago. I worked in a food plant at the time and had access to miles of stainless. I spent many hours pushing his but in the Home Depot race car swing that used to hang from it. Now we are using it for a different type of bonding. The divorce has been pretty rough on me even after 7 years but any time we get together makes my heart smile. Tractors even make it better.

Thanks Don and Cowboy...Its coming along

• Like 1

Ken B

Something tells me you will want to keep this tractor when you are done with it....Its turning out pretty nice.

Wheel-N-It

As Ken said, your tractor is turning out pretty nice. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks when finished as a worker, not a show tractor.

Hodge71

Got some more progress today. Been cold n wet for awhile so Ive been wet sanding and priming almost constantly to fill the little pits and imperfections in the paint from years of use. But today was perfect temp and humidity for spray bomb painting. I wet sanded my butt off this morning with 800 grit and I must say it was maybe the best sanding job I have done so far. I'm learning more as I do these tractors. By the time I get done I may be going back and redoing the 18 auto just because my skills have gotten better.  Here's a couple pics.

post-1339-0-44286700-1379524463_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-75018400-1379524479_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-00177600-1379524494_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-71620800-1379524506_thumb.jp

As you can see from the last couple Theres quite a bit of gloss with this paint.I know its not top shelf automotive paint like you professionals use when you redo these but I'm very impressed to say the least. It flows well as long as you keep moving. I can wait to see the gloss when dry. I'm sure it will be less but I wonder how comparable it will be to Valspar tractor and implement. 

Edited by hodge71
  • Like 1

Ken B

It looks pretty good and I think the shine will be pretty good. My advice, don't be tempted to clear coat it. Rustoleum can be very finicky when you add clear coat. Sometimes it wrinkles, sometimes it don't...Also remember, it might be dry to the touch but if you start too handle it too early you will leave fingerprints. It will need at least a few days and then some too fully cure. After all this I'm sure you are going to keep it!

• Like 1

Hodge71

It looks pretty good and I think the shine will be pretty good. My advice, don't be tempted to clear coat it. Rustoleum can be very finicky when you add clear coat. Sometimes it wrinkles, sometimes it don't...Also remember, it might be dry to the touch but if you start too handle it too early you will leave fingerprints. It will need at least a few days and then some too fully cure. After all this I'm sure you are going to keep it!

Ken this is Krylon not Rustoleum....and I already was thinking about clearing it. The only Rustoleum is the hammered silver for the wheels. The fingerprint thing is why I'm deathly afraid of Rustoleum. I left those wheels sit for 2 days before I touched them and I still got 1 small fingerprint in the back of one...lol.

And unless things change drastically my heart is set on unloading this thing and buying  a 73-79 Kohler automatic for my boy. Preferably a 1973 10 or 14 auto. 

Edited by hodge71

varosd

Jeff,

Which Krylon?

Ken B

Ok, in that case KRYLON will take to clear coat better than Rustoleum will. I once used KRYLON cherry red on a tractor and I  used Rustoleum clear on it and it looked wicked nice. If you are going to clear it test it on another painted panel other than the tractor. Krylon won't hold the shine as well once it dries and if I ever use Krylon on a project it always gets a clear coat.

Wishin4a416

Looks real nice! I bet the Son wont give it up. I no I wouldnt.

Hodge71

Jeff,

Which Krylon?

Don, This is Krylon Color Master Banner Red

Ok, in that case KRYLON will take to clear coat better than Rustoleum will. I once used KRYLON cherry red on a tractor and I  used Rustoleum clear on it and it looked wicked nice. If you are going to clear it test it on another painted panel other than the tractor. Krylon won't hold the shine as well once it dries and if I ever use Krylon on a project it always gets a clear coat.

Thanks for the input Ken I will try the Rustoluem gloss clear. I cant wait to see the results. So far so good with no runs. I hope I don't get them now in the clear...lol

Ken B

If my memory is correct, on the project I did with the Krylon and the clear I used the Rustoleum Gloss Clear that says Ultra Coverage 2X on the can. Not the Crystal clear. Just remember to try it on another panel first to see how it reacts as you really don't want to have to redo that seat pan again...

Hodge71

Not exactly the way I wanted to get this bumped to the top.....but the only way to learn is from failure.....I found Rustoleum clear at the local big box store and decided to shoot the seat/fender pan. I started on the bottom side so that if it screwed up I wouldn't complain too much. Well after trying the bottom and seeing that dusting it on did nothing but give me a grainy finish that looked like poop to say the least, I let it set to be sure no crazing or lifting of the red and I figured just a bit heavier on the top so it flows out........Welllllllll lets just say the top is shiny and flowed out buuuut there are about 15 runs on it and I am completely disheartened that I took a great paint job and ruined it with lack of skill. :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: SO paint guys....how can I get these runs gone without stripping and redoing everything from the beginning? Wet sanding with maybe 1000 or 2000 to get the highspots down and them buff the heck out of it to bring back the sheen to the clear? Ideas....anyone....anyone? :confusion-helpsos:

jaebo74

If you're as impetuous as I am, you might as well just strip it and redo the paint job. The spray bomb paint will take a while(maybe a week to a month) to be hard enough to sand out.

Edited by jaebo74

bizzo15

Bringing this back from the dead hopefully.  I'm restoring a mower deck for my 520xi and I'm trying to find a suitable paint for it that's durable, matches the original color well and won't break the bank.  How well did the Krylon hold up when you used it?  It looks great in the pics but I'm curious how it held up over time.