Sign in to follow this  
sdwyer41

Wheel Horse Virgin

sdwyer41

I just purchased a my first wheel horse.  It is a 310-8, in great condition, 36" rear discharge deck, no rust that I have seen.  I did have to buy a new carerator for it. ($125).  I do have a question, I traded my 15 year old snapper 9.5 horse 28" cut mower for it.  That's a pretty good trade isn't it?  I mow about a half to three quarters of an acre, but it is all at a slant, with tree roots and such everywhere.  The poor snapper would get the front of the mower deck caught on things from time to time, it just wasn't going to last very much longer with the beating that it was taking.  I hope the 310-8 can handle it.  I have lots of trees that drop limbs that I may not see in time, or my son may run over just because he can.

• Like 1

dcrage

I have been mulching tree limbs for more than 20 years. Got about 15 years out of my first set of blades. Your 310 will handle your yard with no problem.

• Like 1

sdwyer41

Thanks, I figured it would, they just don't make lawn/garden tractors like this anymore.  I can't wait to get it home, the carb should be in this week.  I may have to look for a snow blade for it next.

Wheel-N-It

Good trade (i had a snapper too at one time). If you get tired of the 36" deck, you can always trade up to a 42". The later model decks have a steel bar welded across the front and down the sides for impact protection.

• Like 1

Tankman

Nice upgrade! You made out for sure.

The rear discharge deck might improve your mowing experience, you won't be double mulching the branches and twigs.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.  :)

• Like 1

sdwyer41

You guys make me very confident in my choice.  I got to thinking about it and decided that when I see someone mowing or pushing snow with a 20 year old tractor, it's not a craftsman or a murray, or anythign like that.  Around here, it's usually a horse.  I was wondering what implements were made for this modle, what will it run comfortably?

KATO

WELCOME TO :rs: nice trade !!

• Like 1

rjcap

You will love the rear discharge deck. I have had my C-125 for just a year now and it cuts approximately three acres with the 42" rear discharge deck. Unless it's log sized, I have cut too many limbs and stick-ups to count and it will be cutting/mulching tons of maple leaves before too long. I've never met a rake that I cared for and have never, ever in 30 years at my house raked and bagged leaves or picked up twigs and branches. 

• Like 1

whfan74

I have a snow plow for machine available and I am located just outside of Warsaw, IN if interested.  You have yourself a very nice machine that is capable of doing alot of work.

Send me a private message if interested in the blade.

Good luck with your new Horse!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:WRS:

• Like 1

KC9KAS

:WRS: , and :wwp:

• Like 1

prondzy

sounds like a great trade and a sound investment, welcome to Red Square, you will find lots of useful information on this website from all of the wheel horse-aholics :eusa-think: wait I mean enthusiasts :banana-tux:  yeah that sounds better and of course :wwp:

• Like 1

boovuc

Excellent trade! No hindsight needed for it! And my 310-8 mulches everything up to limbs as big around as my thumb and more. I have the 37" deck on it but it runs a 42" SD very well and it plows snow too.

• Like 1

jay in nc

i love my 310 -8 , i have plowed with it disced with it and mowed lots of grass .

post-4393-0-10666800-1378256620_thumb.jp

post-4393-0-44102100-1378256678_thumb.jp

• Like 3

sdwyer41

Thanks for the respnses.  I am liking this site already.  The carb should be in in a few days, put that on change all the fluids, lube everything, then bring it homw.  I will get some pics then.  Some people I worked with asked me why I would want that one when I could have gotten the 18.5 hp Craftsman for less.  I said because it's a Wheel Horse.  A 10hp Wheel Horse will work a 20hp Crapsman to death.  A Crapsman Lawn and Garden tractor is a lawn mower with big wheels, a Wheel Horse is a small farm tractor that can cut grass.

• Like 2

prondzy

I love the response you gave your co workers I always correct people when they call mine a lawn mower I say no its a garden tractor let's see your riding mower do half the stuff my WH can do without bending the frame in two!

953 nut

Thanks for the respnses.  I am liking this site already.  The carb should be in in a few days, put that on change all the fluids, lube everything, then bring it homw.  I will get some pics then.  Some people I worked with asked me why I would want that one when I could have gotten the 18.5 hp Craftsman for less.  I said because it's a Wheel Horse.  A 10hp Wheel Horse will work a 20hp Crapsman to death.  A Crapsman Lawn and Garden tractor is a lawn mower with big wheels, a Wheel Horse is a small farm tractor that can cut grass.

:text-thankyouyellow:  Couldn't have said it better!  :WRS:   You will fit right in here.  :text-bravo: 

:USA: 

• Like 2

kenw520hc

if real yard and garden work is being done, look close cause it will be a wheel horse giten-r-done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flags-waveusa::dance::banana-dance:

• Like 1

groundhog47

:WRS:  Amen and everybody asks me why don't you get a new one, did that once with a wife. Besides being history, USA made, durable, good sounding, strong, ect  what else could you need, Wheel Horse, not the other. Many others built and enriched this place, I'm still new but glad you enjoy this group, knowledge and machines out tha gazoo! 

• Like 1

sdwyer41

Got her home. I don't know if her is appropriate. What a beast. I Haddon 18hp craftsman that wasn't half the tractor this is.

953 nut

:text-bravo: Been to the horse races lately? The horses that race can be a filly so I guess the newest member of your herd can be Her.  :text-lol: 

:USA: 

• Like 1

sdwyer41

Got pics, but can't seem to upload from my phone.

Got pics, but can't seem to upload from my phone.

sdwyer41

Update: got her home, cleaned her up a bit. Lubed everything, checked all fluids, took the deck off and sharpened the blades, had my girlfriend basically re-attach the tip of my right indexfinfer. (The blades are now sharp lol). I was spinning the blades trying to hear which one has the bearing going out. (The left one) as I spun the blades, my hand coming down at a high rate of speed, the newly sharpened blade coming up at a high rate of speed... Well, it wasn't pretty. But I did manage to mow a large part of my neighbors yard, as they were on vacation, and my grass is cut. Once again, that thing is a beast. Tall grass in H1. No problem. So let's step up the game. Tall grass in H2. No problem, cutting every blade too. I am noblonger a wheel horse virgin, but a wheel horse fan. Why did they ever sell out to Toro?

sdwyer41

Finally got some Pics for you guys.  Did some quick figuring,  I paid $125 for the new carb. and I had $130 in the snapper, so that's a $255 investment.  I think I did ok.  Man it is jard to type without using my right index finger lol.  The silver thing on the right side of the hood is a cup holder that the last owner installed.

post-11575-0-47337000-1378720529.jpg

post-11575-0-22965400-1378720538.jpg

Edited by sdwyer41
  • Like 1

WH nut

Nice tractor, you will find the 310 will do everything you ever want it to do.

• Like 1