Sign in to follow this  
wheelhorsearound

1054 Engine Gas Supply issue

wheelhorsearound

So.  I'm new here.  Just got my hands on a 1964 1054.  I've got a troubleshooting question.  The engine turns over but no start.  Gas from tank through fuel line, but not sure if it's getting any farther than that.  I've sprayed carb cleaner into the carb, and it''ll fire up for a few seconds, then sputter to a stop.  Is there a fuel pump on these things?  Is that what is mounted to the front of the kohler 10 horse?  If so, I don't see any wires coming from it.  Any help would be great.  I can load photos in a day or so, if that'd help.

Thanks.

Martin

welcome to red square.....

first of all heres how the fuel system should look....

line comes from the tank to one side of the pump, and from the other side of the pump to the carb.....

post-4321-0-63198100-1378150501_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-93932900-1378150518_thumb.jp

(this is my 1057, i have a 1054 as well but this one was easier to get two pics of because the hood opens, wereas the 1054 as you would know has that big heavy grill in the way)

let us know first if you have a pump on the engine and the lines run through it. then it can be diagnosed from there......

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:  If your fuel pump is the original type pump it is driven from the cam shaft and it will have a primer lever coming out of the bottom of it. Unscrew the fuel line to the carb and pump the primer lever a few times. If the pump is working you will have fuel coming out.

Let us know how you come out with this or any other concerns you have.

:USA: 

Edited by 953 nut

Lagersolut

That's the first one I've seen done with steel line and compression fittings .....looks nice  I had to replace my original pump ( after my rebuild ) because it was leaking oil out of the cam lever pin ....not just a little seep either .

When I get time I'll take it to a machine shop and see if they can do an oversize pin and get it sealed.

wheelhorsearound

Thanks so much to everyone.  I may not get around to looking at it this week (awfully busy), but I'll get back and let you know how I made out.  Really helpful gents. 

Thanks again.

wheelhorsearound

So.  I tried taking the fuel line off where it goes up to the carb, pumped the lever, and no gas.  Dismantled the whole thing, inner cam shaft, diaphragm seemed intact, spring inside was fine.  Nothing seemed clogged.  Put it back on, reattached carb line, and again, nothing, no firing at all.  Not sure what to do next.  Any help would be great.  Thanks.  

For some reason I can't figure out how to upload the photos I took, the system keeps telling me the files are too big.  I'll have to work on that.

wheelhorsearound

By the way, Martin, amazing looking tractor.  Mine is in pretty rough shape, but I hope to have it looking like yours, someday!

wheelhorsearound

Finally got the photo to upload, seems I just had to lower the quality.

Might help?!

Thanks again.

post-11554-0-53578700-1378336018_thumb.g

• Like 1

953 nut

The inlet and outlet of the pump have little check valves built in, if they have junk in them where they can't close you will not be able to build pressure. Take the pump apart and put all the parts in denatured alcohol to clean up any old gas deposits and junk. That may cure the problem, if not you may need a new pump. The one you have is great because of the primer lever.

Hope this is a :help: .

:USA: 

Martin

if the pump lever wont help, before pulling the pump apart, pressurize the tank and see if you can get some gas to flow up to the pump. use a plumbers plunger or similar. those pumps really need to be full of gas to work well. even a tired pump can sometimes pump enough to supply gas in all but the most demanding conditions if it is primed with no air in the system.......

but even a new pump with all new lines etc. can be useless if there is air anywhere to stop a suction of gas from the tank.

• Like 2

wheelhorsearound

Excellent advice my friends.  I will first try to put some pressure through the tank.  Plunger seems like a good bet.  If that doesn't work, I'll try using denatured alcohol.  Thanks for the advice.

sorekiwi

Like the others said, quite often the mechanical pumps need a supply of fuel at the pump before they will work - they're not good at sucking air.  I pull off the supply line at the pump and wait till gravity has pushed all the air out of the line before hooking it back up to the pump. 

Martins idea of pressurizing the tank is good, I usually do it just by putting my mouth over the filler and blowing.  I'm surprised Martin doesn't do the same, Australians generally have very big mouths which are capable of pressurizing fuel tanks on semi tractors.

• Like 3

Martin

just fell right into that one.....

Mike, i do use my mouth quite often, but I don't usually recommend it on here anymore........

It's a bit like siphoning gas if you don't get it right......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Like 1

wheelhorsearound

Well.  Tried the plunger and got the engine to turn over and fire, but then it seems to quickly die out.  Guess I'll try taking the pump off and soaking it in denatured alcohol too.  I think the carb is okay, seems to work with a bit of carb cleaner.  Hmm.  Well, we'll see.  If it doesn't work, anyone have suggestions about a reputable place to get another fuel pump for a 1054?

Thanks again.  

wheelhorsearound

Got the fuel pump to work!   :)​ Finally!!  Definitely getting gas to the carb.  Of course, now the carb is spitting gas out---looks like I'm in bad need of a gasket!!! :( 

Took a quick spin around the house, couldn't resist.  Nothing like a first ride on a wheel horse, eh?

Thanks for all your help my friends.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

welcome to red square.....

first of all heres how the fuel system should look....

line comes from the tank to one side of the pump, and from the other side of the pump to the carb.....

attachicon.gifIMG_2297.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2298.JPG

(this is my 1057, i have a 1054 as well but this one was easier to get two pics of because the hood opens, wereas the 1054 as you would know has that big heavy grill in the way)

let us know first if you have a pump on the engine and the lines run through it. then it can be diagnosed from there......

Hey Martin, those are the best looking Kohler fuel systems I've ever seen!!!

specialwheelhorse

Been there done that pressurizing the tank. The last one my wife says what's that weird looking ring around your mouth !!!!!!!!!!