semperfi8185

Best All Around WH Tractor?

semperfi8185

If you could only own one WH which would it be for strength. durability, mowing, plowing, cultivating, blading, PTO accessories, etc?

Thank,

Greg

Lane Ranger

C 120 or C 121

Martin

out of all the wh models i have, my c125 or gt-1848 would be my choice. attachments, power, ease of use.........

varosd

single lung: C-160/161

two lung:     520-H

rwilson

Here is my list of requirements:

-starts every time

-drives every time

-no fluid leaks

-no tire leaks

-no engine noises

-no trans noises

-12 + hp.

Edited by rwilson

Sparky

I'm partial to the Black-Hoods so a C-165 8 speed would be my choice. A nice big cast iron Kohler single with the best 8 speed there is/was, the 1-1/8th inch axle 8 pinion.

(it sure wouldn't be that little RER in your avatar.. :grin:  )

Mike...........

daveoman1966

Hands down....C-160 Auto with one-lung Kohler (74-77).  It may not out-pull a C-160  8-speed, but the speed range is variable on-the-fly.  That's great when smacking into a huge hard-packed snow drift as the more force thats needed, just push the lever and plow thru it.  Also great when mowing in variable height or thick grass...no need to stop and shift gears all the time...just keep moving at a faster/slower pace as needed.  Don't forget, the 8-speed gearboxes are not synchro-mesh and shift on-the-fly can be hazardous to gears. 

An enormous bonus of the Auto over 8-speed is the hydraulic lift system.  I installed a solid lift link to facilitate down force on the dozer blade.  It will pick up the front a couple inches off the ground.  This helps cut into gravel or hard-pack snow. 

I also have a Bronco 14 that I bought as a yearling in 1973.  It is every bit as good as the C-160.

• Like 1

brandonozz

I'm partial to the Black-Hoods so a C-165 8 speed would be my choice. A nice big cast iron Kohler single with the best 8 speed there is/was, the 1-1/8th inch axle 8 pinion.

(it sure wouldn't be that little RER in your avatar.. :grin:  )

Mike...........

Mike,I'm with you on this one except for one thing..... that manual lift. I have to agree with Dave that the hydraulic lift is very nice. My plan in the future is to try to add Hydraulic 3 pt onto the C 165. I figure then it will be about as close to the "ultimate" tractor that I can get.

C-160 Auto

Hands down....C-160 Auto with one-lung Kohler (74-77).  It may not out-pull a C-160  8-speed, but the speed range is variable on-the-fly.

I agree wholeheartedly. ....but I may be a little biased!

520 if you have the room for a bigger tractor.

Hydro

Kohler for dependability, M16 for power, 8 speed for the flexibility. 

416-8 My choice. :thumbs:

953 nut

:woohoo:   My first question is WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT ONLY ONE :wh: ?

But, if I could only have one it would have to be the fifty year old 953 that has been mowing, plowing, towing and pushing snow for all that time! And by the way, it has hydraulic lift too.

:USA: 

• Like 1

Tankman

This is a very tough question! I've owned WH's since the early 70's, wouldn't own nothin' else.

My '32 Farmall I donated to a boys home in Lancaster, PA. Didn't feel like crank startin' it any mo'!

I always swore by my 12hp Kohlers but, of late, lovin' my Kohler '85 416-8. Never needs more than the usual; plug now 'n then, oil change (although I think the Kohler would keep on shakin'), this '85 416-8 takes a beatin' and keeps on tickin'.

Then, only 'cause of the way I park 'em in the barn, my '90 520-8. I'm skeptical but, the Onan keeps right on roaring.

The only auto I've ever owned is my '73 "No Name" 12hp Kohler. I like the 'lectric PTO on it too!

What can I say, another Stallion!

Vertical shaft engines are not in my past or future. Don't appeal to me at all. I inherited and quickly sold a like new Cub Cadet (dealer model) 25hp Kohler vertical shaft and a 54" deck, not a Horse, bye-bye it went!

Ran into a neighbor yesterday, he's lovin' his Deere 22hp (BIG box thingy). Oh well some never learn.

Guess I'm usin' my '90 520-8 perhaps 'cause it's my newest and, I like it! Secondly my goto is my Echo backpack blower, hey, I have leaves and lots of woods around me that need fiber!  :ychain:  :ychain:

PS. I use lots of PB Blaster®, changed hardware to mostly stainless, love Seafoam®, keep my decks clean and blades new. Just 'cause I need to or feel like it.

Edited by Tankman

bean

to do everything you outlined, I would look for a 312-8. 

12hp will do just about anything you will need to do.

also, a 312 hydro would be a good choice, if you like an auto

woodchuckfarmer

520 h

boovuc

312-8 Speed

Wheel-N-It

If I could only own one ( as much as I love the 312-8 ) I would say a 414-8. The 416-8 is a great machine, but the 14hp engine is a little smoother yet has a little more power to cut really tall grass.

• Like 1

buckrancher

414-8 or 314-8

• Like 1

VinsRJ

RJ35

squonk

I'm not a big fan on any of them built past 79. Seems like they got cheapened especially with the paint. Most of them I run across are really rusty while older ones may have faded paint but are 't rotted. Best for me is my 76 C-160 auto w/hyd lift and a lite round hood(704) to tool around the yard with a wagon or sweeper

• Like 1

Bluffhunter

C-161 Auto with Hydro lift and 42" side discharge deck.

SousaKerry

My C-175 with a KT-17 series II,  Plenty of room for my fat belly and a mean lookin, soundin machine.  Now if it only was restored and had a 3 point.... :eusa-think:

Wheel-N-It

If I could only own one ( as much as I love the 312-8 ) I would say a 414-8. The 416-8 is a great machine, but the 14hp engine is a little smoother yet has a little more power to cut really tall grass.

I should have said the 14hp engine has a little more power to cut tall grass than the 12hp engine. My bad. Thats what I get for trying to work while doing something important like being on Red Square  ;)

smoreau

417A 

would be my choice! Great power that is good on gas usage, Eaton 1100 hydro trans, and Hydraulic lift. This handles every attachment I own from Blowing snow, dozer blade, V blade, grader blade, 48" deck, 42" deck with blower bagger, Tiller, and cultivator. Couldn't ask for more from this tractor for sure!

Wheel Horse Kid

I really like the C160 auto that I got the other week with highback seat with arm rest and hydro lift and of course the 16hp thumper. It is going to be my new go to tractor for sure.

Wheel-N-It

Scott may be on to something regarding blowing snow with a 417-A. I have one too and really like it, but have ZERO experience with a snowblower attachment. Here where I live we can blow most of our snow with a hand held leaf blower.

So for my needs I could do without the 417-A if I had to, and would have to keep a gear driven thumper.