Sign in to follow this  
zanepetty

gl-5 gear oil???

zanepetty

I've been reading a lot of talk about gear oils lately and I'm a bit confused as to which to use in my wheel horse. Gl-5, gl-4? I'm just confused. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Zane

specialwheelhorse

I've been using Lucas Trans @ Diff Lube 80 w 90 exceeds gl 4 gl 5 and many other specs

excellent for outboard final drives so that tells me its good for yellow metals and can even be serviceable

with a wee bit of water in there,and its made in the U S A .  Royal Purple also makes an excellent

product. Don't faint when pricing, It's like insurance for an antique !!!!

• Like 1

zanepetty

I DO NOT care to spend money on my tractors well being! But I just got done putting Walmart brand 80-90 wt in her. It says on the label that its yellow metal compatible. Its the only one I could find that said it on the liable. What do you think ?

• Like 1

rmaynard

It's fine. By the way, the 85/140 GL-5 Super Tech oil sits on the shelf right next to the 80/90W at my Walmart. The 80/90W is marked GL-5 as well. 

zanepetty

OK thanks. But you recommend the 80-90?

rmaynard

Didn't say that I recommended it, just that it is no problem to use it.

zanepetty

OK. Ive heard some people say there manuals say to use straight 140 wt. I read in a manual one time to run SAE 40wt motor oil in wheel horse transmissions. So I was just confused.

chazm

Just FYI ... if you go to the manuals section & download the lubrication chart, you won't be confused any longer ..... :handgestures-thumbupright:

chasm    :flags-waveusa:

zanepetty

Haha I thought so too. The one I downloaded says SAE 40 wt motor oil. But I don't know Bout that. I guess its fine?

pfrederi

Over the years WH Changed its mind on what oil to use in the manual transmissions.  I do not think it makes much difference as long as you keep the water out.  My L107 that my Father bough in 1967 has run on 40w motor oil in th tranny for 46 years(as recommended on it manual) and has been changed maybe 2 or three times.  Still shifts smoothly and is used most every day for trailer work.  My c series and others run 90w with no issues either...just keep the water out and they will run.  People around here obsess on tranny fluid recommendations...unnecessarily in my book.

• Like 1

zanepetty

I gotcha. I really appreciate you guys on here. You're really a huge help to me

Fordiesel69

GL-5 is fine for wheel horse.

GL-4 is required for all the bronze parts that troy built uses for their rototiller gear boxes.  I am not sure if they superceded that spec on the newer units, or chaged the metals.  I do know they cation to not use GL-5.

zanepetty

Thanks!