Sign in to follow this  
Austin860

Wheel Horse Zero Turn?

Austin860

I think I saw my neighbor mowing with a wheel horse zero turn mower. Looks like the new toro zero turns today but more boxy. Do these exist or was it just someone's homemade mower? Thanks

gwest_ca

Believe the first was 1985 with model 08-18BE01 that was a Dixie Chopper and named a 5018 Automatic.

In 1986 it was a 718-Z model number Z1-18KE01

In 1987 it was a 718-Z model number Z1-18KE02

In 1987 they added the 720-Z model number Z1-20KE01

In 1988 they added the 724-Z model number Z1-24OE01, 1989 model Z1-24OE02, 1990 model Z1-24OE03 and 1991 model Z1-24OE04 and 1992 model Z1-24OE05.

Early info called these the 600-Series of tractors.

Illustrated parts lists are here

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

Garry

546cowboy

That is interesting if correct. I have had three Wheel Horse zero turns and they were all 1990 models. One was a 612Z with a 12.5 hp. Onan, 38" deck and the other two were  616Z's with a 16 hp. Onan, 42" deck. I bought the second one to fix the first one. The hydro's were the weak point. You can't buy a new one or find anywhere to have one rebuilt. There were two 7 series Eaton's bolted together in the center.

They really did mow nice and were very maneuverable like the newer zero turns. I really did like mowing with them and if the hydro's were still available I would have kept the one I had.  It had less than 500 hours on it.

It took me a year to find that second 616 with a locked up engine and good hydro's and it was in PA. Luckily the guy I was bidding against was in Maryland and he needed the left one and I needed the right one so we made a deal and split the cost. I had a friend going to PA. that could pick it up. I have seen probably 10 to 15 616Z's on CL or Ebay and only the one 612Z I had. Bought it from a local dealer. They got it on a trade-in and didn't want to mess with it.

I was under the impression the they were the first W/H zero turns and the 724's were later models by Dixie Chopper. I have seen one 724 up close but passed on buying it at the time. I see one every now and then on CL around here but they are usually in rough shape and priced higher than I would pay.

That was not the model number on the the ones I had though. My 616Z was Model # Y1-16OE02 I do have manuals for the 612 and 616 if anyone needs them. All the info on the Toro site is in the commercial section.

The pictures below are after I refurbished them. When I got the 616 the motor was partially disassembled and not very clean. I repainted it and put those arm rests on it. The 612 was in some what better shape but some of the engine mounting bolts were broken.

post-1334-0-01729500-1377426623_thumb.jp

post-1334-0-76160500-1377426652_thumb.jp

post-1334-0-77745500-1377426689_thumb.jp

Edited by 546cowboy

Austin860

I have heard rumor that some of these had the same 4 cylinder Renault engine as a d250. This true?

wh500special

Cowboy,

The 700-series that Gary gave model numbers for preceeded the 600-series that you had.  The 700's were commercial machines while the newer 600's were intened for homeowners and smaller commercial work.  A fuel injected 600 series was also planned and discussed in one of the brochures from 1990, but I have no idea if it ever was made.

The 5018 was a wierdo machine.  I've only seen one and it seems to be unique among the WH zero turns.

The 700's were a Dixie Chopper type of machine. They had twin Eaton 7 hydro units on them driven by a gearbox from the horizontal shaft engine.  Kohler magnums (718 and 720) and Onans were used (both the T260 and P224).  Roller chains and a collection of sprockets transferred power from the hydro units down to the wheels.  Very crude design.  Toro kept them in their "Pro" line for a while...I think until '95 or so when replaced with an improved version with vertical shaft engines and better hydros.

The Eaton 7's were pretty soft in these things.

The 600-series was, I believe, a Toro design. When new, they were quite innovative and worked very well.  But they tend to have weak transmissions as well.  The hydro units were incorporated into a transaxle with both units being in one cast aluminum housing.  They seem to be running on borrowed time now.

Austin,

The Renault engine wasn't used in any of these zero turns.  They were all air-cooled.  Toro DID use the same Renault engine in some Groundsmasters from the late 1970's.  I think the block was different though.

Steve

wh1076

I know this is not related to the wheel horse ZTR. But I also believe that wheel horse did work with Dixie Chopper with the 60 inch decks for the 520s.  My dixies I had and the 520s I had I swear had the same deck. they both mowed darn well also.  

DR

• Like 1

wh500special

Devin,

I'd bet money that you're right.  The timing seems to suggest the tie as well since the 60" deck made its debut on the 720 which came before the 520H tractor.  The fact that they're a boxy, heavy weldment suggests they were made for commercial duty.

I recall asking Ed from Toro about this tie to DC, but I don't remember what the answer was.  We ended up going off on a tangent about who knows what.

Steve

BretzFamily

There is one for sale with a 24 hp with a 48" cut. and a collection system. says needs new sprockets and a qheel motor seal. that is in wilmington nc he wants 700 which is a little steep for me. he been trying to trade. he is trying to split it up to. like engine only and pribably junk the rest. which is horrible

Hodge71

This is not the first time I have heard of the Dixie Chopper connection for the 60" deck for the 520. I was told that Wheel Horse did indeed "borrow" the deck from the Dixie Chopper 6024 Sidewinder. Now I don't know how true it is because I never saw the 2 decks directly next to each other but those early Chopper decks had the front skids just like the Wheel Horse 60 incher did and they were definitely built heavy duty. I drove a 5020 Sidewinder when my buddy first went to ZT's for his business.He bought it used but now he uses Scag exclusively because he didnt like the chain drive back then.

546cowboy

The chain drives are OK if they don't have those friction drive cones like the Dixon's used. I had a Dixon that I sold last year and it did not have those cones , it was straight chain drive and worked great. I had it for about two years and never had a problem with the drive. Had electrical problems though. It was a 1988 Model 501 ZTR with a 50" deck. It had a motor change to a 16 hp. Vanguard from the 20 it came with.

post-1334-0-85148500-1377704680_thumb.jp

post-1334-0-86338400-1377704694_thumb.jp

wh500special

Link to a picture of a 700 series: