Sycoticca

My start of the 69 Electro redo

Sycoticca

Deck pieces blasted and painted and spindles rebuilt .

Now to start the deck there are 3 spots that need to be cut out and replaced The PO had patched over top that will not do... Need to get new wheels and rollers.

post-11345-0-79340600-1377173035_thumb.j

post-11345-0-47531300-1377173059_thumb.j

Edited by Sycoticca

Sycoticca

Is there a more clear pdf manual around for this deck I believe its the 5-1481. 48 inch... the picks on there are extremely black...

gwest_ca

Try this later manual

I hope is is similar enough to be of use.

Garry

Sycoticca

Well before I went too much further I stripped down the tractor and was working on getting the engine fired up. I was having issues with the ignition.. SO before I spend too much time effort and money on the needed ignition parts I wanted to make sure the Hydro was in working order.. So this is what I did. This thing has been sitting for about 10 years or so...So I wasn't sure what was going to go on.

20140311_101404.jpg

20140311_101412.jpg

20140311_101427.jpg

Good ol little 3 horse did the trick everything seems to be in good working order.. drove it around for a bit plenty of grab tried holding it back and it wanted to just pull right away with no slip.

Time for some 12hp now...Just need to find some parts, I was thinking about a radical Yamaha XS 650cc engine I have laying around but that would be insane... besides I want it original.

slammer302

When a 12hp is running good it has good power I was shocked in the power difference between my 10 and 12 the 12 has a noticeable lugging power

Sycoticca

Yeah with the 3hp I drove it down our loading dock ramp which is 4 feet tall but 30 feet long so the grade isn't too bad and I thought I was going to have to get off and push coming up...it was funny. It lugged down pretty darn far. I think I need the magnetic pickup for the 12 hp. it is the breakerless style ignition no points.

Irv

The original motor for that probably has the "breakerless ignition" and parts (coil and trigger switch) are hard to come by and exspensive. You may want to convert to points as some of the guys do. If you do a search on here you'll find info on the subject. Good idea on testing the hydro.

Opps-you posted that it is while I was typing.

Edited by Irv

Sycoticca

I am going to try and find the parts needed. My dad had already rebuilt the engine. Ground the crank , new connecting rod, new piston and rings, Bored over one size. all new gasket kit. I got it from him after he did that he just never tried to fire it up. So I shipped it down to Florida from NY and this is where I am now ... He got it with a broke rod.

Sycoticca

Engine Tins...

20140314_145758.jpg