Sign in to follow this  
perry

throttle cable repair

perry

anybody have a trick to fixing the old 60's style throttle cables. i got one on the raider that likes to go back in after throttleing up. just need something to get this speed demon tractor threw the winter.

Curmudgeon

Is that a twist lock or lever style?

If it's a twist lock, buy a new one. If it's a lever, pull the lever out of the rear of the dash, and using an appropriate punch, I use a larger center punch, and "tighten" up the rivet which the lever rotates on. Another option, is drill the rivet out, put in a small bolt and double nut it.

Dale

perry

its a pull type twist lock.

nylyon

A small pair of vice grips until you can replace it? Or maybe a piece of plastic tubing like a thick straw slit down the center to keep the throttle out?

CasualObserver

I've had that same problem many times... and at anywhere from $15-25 each, replacing those twist lock cables can get expensive. I have personally done Karl's suggestion of vise grips many many times.... You can buy the smallest pair for just a couple of bucks, and just leave them clamped on the throttle all the time and clamp them closest to the knob. The problem usually not with the lock itself, it is that the knob is loose on the shaft and just spins, and the vise grips give you a lever to tighten it with.

Rollerman

I have put a dab of JB weld in a new set I bought off ebay once to keep the knobs on.

Yes I said new set & when I pulled the knob to gas up the tractor the knob came off :D

There are sets on ebay now going as low as $30 for the pair.

The Vise Grip trick or a C shaped wood stopper to go behind the knob are cheaper though.

Stephen in northern IN

Curmudgeon

The last time I "fixed" a twist lock I converted to a cable with a lever. LOL

Now I know that's not for everyone, but then, I'm not just anyone.

Dale

perry

thanks for the ideas. i have done the vise grips on the 604 before. i like the straw & wood ideas. or maybe ill use rubber hose with a slit.

BUY A NEW ONE :D , thats crazy talk. if i dont have it laying around in the yard it takes a long talk to myself to convince my cheap A@# to spend money. i have way to many non finished tractors and a thin wallet.

now today i found out that the voltage regulator is bad on the raider. i could'nt dig one up so i pushed it to the side and ill get the 877 or B100 suited up for snow.

am i pethadic or what :P .

CasualObserver

Not pathetic... "frugal" :D