Sign in to follow this  
Ken B

Another 58/59 Duratech boat

Ken B

I've had this boat for about a year now, just layin on the ground doing nothing. I've had such a problem trying to get motivated to work on this one. I've actually done quite a bit of work on it but I haven't been able to stick to it. Stevebo just picked up a Duratech and after spending some time at his house working on his this past weekend I think I'm finally motivated. Mine had no seat backs in it as they were rotted and taken out long ago. Steve gave me a seat back to use as a template because he is replacing his as well. Today I made both seat backs and covered one of them. If the weather holds out I'll buff it out this weekend nice and shiney. Hopefully, in a few weeks this boat will finally once again ride the waves.

005_zpsa2723dfa.jpg

004_zpsa221ec5e.jpg

003_zpsf548252e.jpg

• Like 3

Sparky

Looks good....so will there be a race between you two guys :grin:  ?

What powerplant do you have planned for it?

Mike............

Ken B

I'm sure that sooner or later there will be a race. Steve won't mess too much once I get the vintage 60 hp Merc I plan too run on it  Steve's boat is quite a bit lighter, if we are both running 35's on the back he's probably got me covered. (I always have a few tricks up my sleeve that I keep to myself) For the most part I'll be running a late 50's Johnson 35 hp on it.

ptmechpa

Good looking boat I like the oldies, Hey is that a beverage for the passenger if it is count me in for a ride. LOL 

AMC RULES

Definitely neat ol' boats. 

stevebo

Ken,

What did you cover your seat with?

Ken B

You forget where I work Steve?

welderman85

very cool old boats

Ken B

I picked up a motor today for my boat, a 1958 35hp Johnson Super Seahorse. This is a pretty rare model that is seldom seen. The paint is all original and it is in real nice shape. I bought it from the guy that I bought the boat from. He confirmed my boat is a 1958.  I managed to get one side of the boat 85% polished today.This is roughly the 8th boat that I have polished. You can take it to the bamk that it will be the last. My fingers have been numb all week due to either carpal tunnel or arthritis and this has only made it worse.

003_zps5deaced5.jpg

004_zpseabf8627.jpg

005_zpsfa2966c2.jpg

006_zps8002f2dc.jpg

• Like 2

Wheelhorse84

That boat is beautiful Ken.

Ken B

I managed to finish the other side of the boat today. My brother came down today. he worked on the motor while i did the dirty work. The only thing I have left to do is rebuild the wiring harness for the electric start. I threw a bucket of water under the motor and it fired on the fourth pull and runs very nice. HOPEFULLY tomm. will be the maiden voyage.

004_zps31fa4c16.jpg

Ken B

Today was the maiden voyage since bringing this boat back from the dead. My two boys and myself met up with Stevebo and his boy out on the water. When I went to start the big 40 hp at the ramp she fired on the first pull of the rope. When that happens its a good sign of a good day out on the water and it was! The motor purred like a kitten all day long. I put at least 50 miles on it today. This week were going tubing!

003_zps908a99de.jpg

grnlark

That thing is FANTASTIC Ken! I love the old Johnson too. Reminds me of a 50's Chrysler.

Sparky

So you two "big kids" were out on the lake at the same time in very similar boats and you didn't line em up for a drag race ... :eusa-whistle:  ...???

C'mon, who ya kidding here :ychain:  !

Mike.....

Ken B

I had things covered yesterday. My 40hp versus Steves 10 hp wouldn't have been close, I can't believe I forgot my GPS! I really wanted to know how fast this tub is. It'll have to wait till Weds. now. Its actually faster than I thought it was going to be.

stevebo

I drove Ken's boat and it is right there !! I mean when you want to come out of the hole there is no problem doing so. When you are just cruising you hit the throttle and she takes off! I "hope" to own that motor in the near future.... lol I was in slow and steady mode. I hope to get my 18hp mounted on my boat soon and see what she will do with a nice 1958 18hp. If that don't do it I will go big!!! 

Ken B

You know the old sayin Steve, Go BIG or go home! :ychain:  There ain't nothing like a little extra nut to power you out of a sticky situation....

posifour11

Beautiful, simple styling. Those old boats put anything new to shame.