Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

Simplicity Legacy...thoughts

Rollerman

I've been offered a late model Simplicity Legacy with 60" deck, 25HP Kohler Command & just shy of 800 hours.

These are a larger tractor with the 26x12x12 back tires on back like the D series.

These are a Cadillac of GT's that have power steering, dual range hydro, foot pedal direction control....they pretty much make a 520H look & feel like an AMC Gremlin.

Don't get me wrong I still bleed Wheel Horse red, but would like a larger tractor for mowing all that yard outback.

I also like to cut my lawn higher than the 520's 60" deck allows.

So here's the rub...the engine has a blown head gasket, you have to remove it or slide the engine forward at least to make the repair, or at least the dealership who has it believes so.

The tractor runs & operates great other than the obvious leak at the cylinder head.

Anyone here familiar with the Simple Legacy tractors or the Kohler Command V twins?

Can anyone tell me how involved changing a head gasket on an overhead valve engine is.

So far I have only cracked open flatheads & 2 cycles.

I may pull the trigger on this one if I feel I could perform the repairs.

simplicity001_zpsbbc5fa34.jpg

simplicity002_zpsab0d6041.jpg

Jake Kuhn

We've got two legacys. We have a newer legacy xl with the 60" deck, and a regular legacy 23hp with the 54" deck that we bought new. We have had very little issues with the one we bought new that has close to 900 hrs. We bought the xl  couple of yrs ago and it has had nothing but problems, the previous owner must just not of taken that great care of it. The 60" deck can be hard to get used to...the left side discharge takes a while to get used to. But overall they are a good tractor!

Rollerman

Thanks Jake, do either of yours have the Kohler Command?

My former neighbor back in Millersburg had a Legacy & I believe his had a Kawasaki engine.

I guess I don't know if this is a standard Legacy or an XL?

Jake Kuhn

Both have kohlers and the motors have never had troubles for us. I think yours is just a regular legacy. The xl had a little better steering setup on them, don't think that one does. They usually have a decal that says xl on them too.

shallowwatersailor

In MYTRACTORFORUM, there was a posting with photos pulling a Command engine that was in a Legacy. You might care to search there.

shallowwatersailor

Found the posting in MYTRACTORFORUM. Not exact how to get there but here is the drift.Go to: Lawn & Garden>Simplicity>Legacy Kohler-Leaky Head Gasket. It is a nice posting and somthing I will keep in mind for my 518xi.

Good Luck!

leeave96

IHMO, the Legacy is a GREAT tractor.  I've been told 3rd hand that this is the last year for the Legacy and it will be replaced by a SCUT for 2014.

My view is - a SCUT is great, but if mowing is the primary task, the Legacy is the better choice.  Mower designed from the get-go for mowing and confortable too.

As to the Command, it is a great engine.  I've got one in a Sovereign that I had to change the head gaskets.  Can't say it was hard, but it was a pain in the arse as I sheared off several screws holding the tin to the aluminum block.

I consider this tractor as a true garden tractor - if you want to go the route of a moldboard plow.

Also - I think the 60 inch deck on that tractor is a tried and true design - used all the way back to the Sunstar tractors.

You will also like the striping if you want to give it a try - here is a pic:

post-6085-0-20842800-1377272176.jpg

I also consider these tractors worthy of a repower if it ever comes to that.

If the price is right, I would buy the tractor.  

Good luck,

Bill