Sign in to follow this  
Lars

Front rims..

Lars

Hey guys..

i have a problem whit some front rims that i got shipped from us to me.

and i din't check it before i did all the work on them :ranting:  i have E tanked them and blasted them primed and painted..etc etc.... and was gona put them on the tractor last night.. they dont fit on the spindels they are to wide on the bearings..

20130731_174246_zpsed6588d7.jpg20130801_192213_zpsd0bf5fa0.jpg20130801_192230_zpse1a94372.jpg  Nice and clean.. did a light sand blasting on them then ill primed it and painted them..

20130803_013936_zpsc4fe37e4.jpg20130803_014107_zps9c77837b.jpg

Here is a close pict of the problem.. 20130803_013841_zpsdf0b9cfe.jpg

So.. Did wheel horse have short and long spindels??

Thanks Lars

buckrancher

yes the heavy duty spindles kit for a front end loader had longer spindles and wheel rims

Brian

• Like 1

wheelhorse2007

Those wheels do not appear to be Wheelhorse front wheels. The WH rims I've seen have two small holes in them (on opposite sides of the rim) for mounting weights (I think). Also, the valve stem is on the INSIDE of the rim, not the outside. My guess is that they're off something other than a Wheelhorse. I'm no expert, just going on what I've had experience with. (They do look really nice though, all prettied up!)

KC9KAS

Maybe.....Take them to a machine shop and have additional steel welded onto the short axle to make it long enough.

Another idea.....drill and tap a hole in the center of each axle and use a bolt to hold the wheel on....Can't tell by photo, but if the outside bearing is not on the axle, this won't work.

Hey, I'm just trying to help!

Jeff-C175

I wonder if there's enough 'meat' on the wheel hub to have some removed from each side?  Shorten up the hub a bit...

• Like 2

rwilson

I would see if you can turn one side down with a lathe or something. Would need a pretty big lathe though.

• Like 1

wallfish

You can measure and mark a nice even line around the rim (the inside or both sides, depending on your preference) and then use a grinder or cut-off tool to remove the material and make the bore length shorter. Clean it up with a file and you should be good to go. If you happen to remove too much material, they can be shimmed to fit properly.

• Like 1

Digger 66

drill and tap a hole in the center of each axle and use a bolt to hold the wheel on.

If you're really attached to those rims , ( they look grrreat ! ) that's ^ what I'd do .

Add a spacer the same O.D. as the axle shaft's O.D. & a fine thread grade 8 bolt with red Loctite , Or a Nordlock ( http://www.nord-lock.com/products/wedge-locking/?gclid=CK39nvqJ4rgCFU6Z4AodgD0AiQ )  washer .  :)

Edited by Digger 66

Jeff-C175

I dunno... I think that drill and tap solution could possibly cause stress to the outer bearing.  It doesn't appear that the axle is very far into the bearing race.  I'd be afraid it would 'wobble' and wear.

Digger 66

I dunno... I think that drill and tap solution could possibly cause stress to the outer bearing.  It doesn't appear that the axle is very far into the bearing race.  I'd be afraid it would 'wobble' and wear.

20130803_013841_zps28cad017.jpg

• Like 3

Jeff-C175

I see what yer saying... yeah that would probably work. 

NordLock = interesting!

How to retain the wheel on the axle then?

Digger 66

NordLock = interesting!

How to retain the wheel on the axle then?

Either the bushing with a shoulder on it or better yet a stainless machine washer with an O.D. enough to cover the hub .

Nordlocks are awesome , they're pricy , but foolproof . 

js5020

20130803_013841_zps28cad017.jpg

Nice art work!  But if the bearing does not make contact with the spindle the bolt is taking all the load that is on the bearing,,,seem WH thought 3/4 dia was necessary for spindle dia and now its gonna be supported by a 5/16 or 3/8 bolt.  Correct the hub or find the right ones dont make a breakdown waiting to happen.

buckrancher

I would take the rims to a machine shop and have the short side turned back far enough to work with those spindles (easy thing to do)

Brian

• Like 2

Digger 66

I assumed the end of the axle extended well into the inner race of the bearing.

But I guess your eyes are better than mine , sorry.

Butch

Look for the correct spindles or have extensions welded on. You're gonna have to grind the joint down well so it fits in the bearing.

Anglo Traction

Sorry to hear you have that problem Lars. You've put in a lot of work into those Rims.

I would say the best way forward is to have the outside of the Hub Tubes machined down to fit the Spindles.

(unless you can find bigger spindles for similar money)

A Coincidence really, as I have an odd narrow Rim I have to modify to match up and fit on my C-120. It will require the same modifications as yours. 

I was planning to 'post it' up when I have the new-to-me machinery installed and set up..... I'm nearly there.

groundhog47

Hei Lars, you did a beauty of a clean up. What is your spindle axel length? I know the Lawn Ranger had short stubs, replaced them with 655 spindels and the C120 wheels fit just great. I'd go with post 5 & 6 and in addition have = amounts removed from inside and outside; it appears about 1/2" or so overall. Doesn't look like would interfere with turns removing some both sides. Replacing spindles may be a long hunt for length and rake (unless same on all??). Tak   

Edited by groundhog47

546cowboy

I have extended front spindles before on one of my tractors ( not a WH ) and the rear axles too but I think the best way is the way groundhog47 suggested. If you can't find spindles long enough, make them or have a welding shop make some. It's not that difficult to do. I have done that before using 3/4" bar stock. You just use the old spindles for a pattern for the bend and angle. I also welded a brace at the bend on mine to make them stronger. When you extend a spindle you create a weak spot that can break. I have had that happen too. :twocents-02cents:

Edited by 546cowboy

Lars

Thanks guys for all the input's...

well i have also figured out 2 way's to do it..  might cut the hubtubes down, a friend of me have a lathe so it should be easy..   or it should be funny to make a sett of spindels to.. im gona make the rims fit one way or another...

Thanks

Lars

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Was never any question you will make 'em work Lars.   :tools-hammerdrill:

• Like 1

Digger 66

or it should be funny to make a sett of spindles to..

If you go this route  ^  don't forge the pics , I'd love to see them !

Lars

well here is an update on what i did whit the problem..

id try to put them in my buddys lathe but it dint work any good.. it was a bit to small to hold the rim good enugh to cut it.. 20130816_183448_zps7f9e2789.jpg

So then i went to a welding shop to hear and they wanted way to much to do the job..   so i thought i might give it a try to cut it in my shop whit this 20130816_210016_zps800fe906.jpg

well it worked really good to do it..but i used a lot of time to cut them..

20130816_210028_zps688dc58d.jpg20130816_213255_zpsc70da03e.jpg

20130816_210052_zps89f15718.jpg now they fit :)

going to sand blast them again and paint them then they are ready to roll again.. :woohoo:

Thanks

Lars

Edited by Knusern
  • Like 2

Digger 66

now they fit :)

Outstanding ! 

Jeff-C175

Utmerket jobb Lars!

• Like 1